The Student Room Group

How the **** do you stay calm on a first date?!

Going on a first date on Tuesday- for a few drinks in a bar somewhere. I'm really feeling quite nervous as this is my first date since splitting up with my first ever boyfriend a few months ago. I'm very out of practice when it comes to dating.

People keep saying to me "just keep calm... relax!", but how on earth do you do that? All I can think about is "what if we don't have much to say to each other? What if he's not a nice person when he drinks? What if I say something stupid?"

We don't know each other that well, but the few times we have spoken we've got along great. He seems really sweet and like a good guy- but i'm aware that people aren't always as they seem.

Additionally- I, as the female, asked him out- something I've never done before. Is this relevant at all? He said yes and seems keen, so that's a positive. But i'm still nervous as hell. Any tips much appreciated :smile:
He'll be very happy to have been asked out, you'd have to do a lot to screw this up I reckon
Think of the ugliest teacher at your school in lingerie.

Mrs Weaver you're my beard haha.
Liquid courage? I'm always a little bit calmer after a couple of drinks...though obviously don't get off your face.
Reply 4
Iunno. Just... keep calm. :dontknow:

You'll both probably be slightly nervous, but he'll likely be trying to play it cool for you as well. Just don't speak faster than you can think, and don't say all you want to say in one go. If you mess up your words I doubt he'll be surprised, and he may well do the same.
Reply 5
Original post by jamez870
He'll be very happy to have been asked out, you'd have to do a lot to screw this up I reckon
Cheers :smile: do you think? Do guys like to be asked out? I personally don't see the problem with a girl asking a guy, but some people are funny about it
Reply 6
get a couple of drinks.
Original post by Anonymous
Cheers :smile: do you think? Do guys like to be asked out? I personally don't see the problem with a girl asking a guy, but some people are funny about it

It's just rare I guess, you've made him feel wanted so I'm sure it'll go fine no matter what you do, within reason of course

You make it sound like he's desperate. It doesn't take a lot to screw up a date but you usually have to intentionally do so. But if there's no conversation or spark then that's that. I'm sure neither will want to cling to it.
Reply 9
It's just rare I guess, you've made him feel wanted so I'm sure it'll go fine no matter what you do, within reason of course
You're right there- I don't know many girls who do the asking :smile: Somebody said to me that it comes across "desperate" if a girl asks a guy- but I don't see how. I just think he's cute and fancy giving it a shot. Doesn't make me desperate
Reply 10
**** his brains out :tongue:
sex is actually proven to relieve stress as well as anxiety!!!!!!! :smile:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28146086/ns/health-mental_health/t/more-sex-less-stress/

here is your answer
:wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Ask questions, lots of them haha, listen intently and Ask more questions on what he is telling you. You must be able to talk about work/uni/ TV shows and all that :smile:.

When you ask a question, don't ask a yes or no question (closed question), ask an open question which requires an explained answer, keeps the conversation going nicely, if he does the same you'll just be bouncing questions and discussions off of each other :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guys love to be asked out and I don't know anybody who'd have a problem with it. More women need to know this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just have a couple of drinks and you'll chill out straight away.

I would prefer it haha! Even though it is rare.
Going on a first date on Tuesday- for a few drinks in a bar somewhere. I'm really feeling quite nervous as this is my first date since splitting up with my first ever boyfriend a few months ago. I'm very out of practice when it comes to dating.

People keep saying to me "just keep calm... relax!", but how on earth do you do that? All I can think about is "what if we don't have much to say to each other? What if he's not a nice person when he drinks? What if I say something stupid?"

We don't know each other that well, but the few times we have spoken we've got along great. He seems really sweet and like a good guy- but i'm aware that people aren't always as they seem.

Additionally- I, as the female, asked him out- something I've never done before. Is this relevant at all? He said yes and seems keen, so that's a positive. But i'm still nervous as hell. Any tips much appreciated :smile:

About 12 pints....
He's probably a bit nervous as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest