The Student Room Group

New linear changes to A Levels?

I started A Level last year and heard that there are going to be linear changes, when is this coming into effect?

And when is the last opportunity to sit exams for the current spec.

Is this a joke?

Exams after 2 years?

So basically the first year is a waste of time, right!

If this is true, then just do AP's guys...
Reply 1
Sounds horrible, aren't they starting that with GCSEs too? Like no more split up coursework/exams and just a big one at the end of the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
I started A Level last year and heard that there are going to be linear changes, when is this coming into effect?

Is this a joke?

Exams after 2 years?

My year is going to be a 'guinea pig' for A-levels, I'm glad it's not with GCSEs. I hope the changes aren't too drastic! :0

Does AP= apprenticeship?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elri
Sounds horrible, aren't they starting that with GCSEs too? Like no more split up coursework/exams and just a big one at the end of the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's even more ridiculous on a 1-9 scale which is a lot harder. If you guys are younger do igcses or gcses earlier.

Original post by karmacrunch
My year is going to be a 'guinea pig' for A-levels, I'm glad it's not with GCSEs. I hope the changes aren't too drastic! :0

Does AP= apprenticeship?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well good luck anyway, I'm sure you will be fine regardless.

No advanced placement - it's the us equivalent to a levels - but they are the end of the year so you can do it whenever you want I.e. year 11,13 etc.

I'm doing that as well as a levels though. The new changes look even worse than what they were now.
The scale grades are ridiculous, why change them, what is the need? Linear is also dumb for both GCSES and ALevels, again what is the need?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel

Is this a joke?

Exams after 2 years?

The changes do not affect you they will be introduced for some subjects for students who start their 2 years of A level study in September 2015, other subjects don't change until 2016. Some subjects have not yet been included in the announced plans. Examiners have published details of which subjects are when on their web sites.

The changes do not affect international A levels from CIE or Edexcel.

When changes have been made in the past the last opportunity to sit exams under the current spec was the next session after the spec had ended to allow for resits. That would be summer 2017 for the first round of changes.

The first year of A level study is not a waste of time. What you learn in the first year will be included in the final exams. AS will still be a qualification in it's own right but the marks gained would not count towards a full A level result - it may or may not be possible for schools to teach the syllabus in a way that enables students to take both AS and full A level in the same subject but examiners are trying as far as possible to design them to be able to do this.

UK state school students can't take AP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Will the changes affect me?
I start AS this september...
Original post by Marcusroye98
Will the changes affect me?
I start AS this september...

No. Your year is the last year of the current system

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
no. Your year is the last year of the current system

posted from tsr mobile

praise the lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My school's been doing both the AS and A2 exams at the end of the Upper Sixth for ages now. This system just makes it official.
Original post by danconway
My school's been doing both the AS and A2 exams at the end of the Upper Sixth for ages now. This system just makes it official.

Has that method been successful in terms of grades achieved?

Quick Reply

Latest