The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hiya thanx for all your help! yeh ive just bought all the PPL books and an aviation tech one. Yeh it is at Teesside lol. Hm no we hav captian Kevin Rowell and Jeff? Its goin ok too much work though! got aviation law exam on monday:s-smilie: and got an essay and coursework to be doin too:frown: xx
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I met a bloke at JBP the other night who's doing it but I can't remember his name.
Just to say the training at Teesside is going good, we just started last week. Leeds Flying School messed up really badly, and the university have just changed us to cleveland FS.

They are a lot more organised and seem to be more professionally run. Also you get the opportunity to use correct RT procedures at DTV.

Have you all got dates for your trial flights?
Reply 23
Hi

er im interested in aero at loughborough, and have a place offered. I have to choose between this and aviation technology at leeds. My isse is that i want to be a pilot, not an engineer, but aero would still be very useful. However, i have major concerns about the difficulty level of maths on the course?

COuld you help me out?!
Thanks
my advice is simple. If you dont want to do an engineering degree, then dont. If you're not 100% sure about doing a course anyway, and want to be a pilot - I'd recommend not going to uni at all. I know thats a shocking thing to say, but after 2 years at leeds and a year of aero eng at manchester, I feel like I'd love to leave now and get a job. I would if it wasnt for the debt of 12000 and getting nothing for it.

At 21, I could have had my flying instructors licence and CPL and be on my way to the sort of 500 hour mark. As it stands I feel like I'm wasting my time at uni.

The Leeds degree is getting better - modules becoming more relevant. So I recommend Leeds over anywhere else - definitely dont do an aero eng degree if your not sure.

A final point - if you're doing the course just for the PPL on the cheap (like about 50% of our year are), then dont do it.
Reply 25
Hi, I don't know if anyone's going to see this but I'll ask anyway. I'v had my eye on this course for a while now and I'll be applying this year, but the thing is it's the ONLY course that I'v seen that really appeals to me so I'm really worried about not getting in. I just wondered if there is a lot of competition for places and if it's quite difficult/easy to get an offer if you meet the minimum requirements? Thanks :]
Reply 26
It is time that this thread was updated for anyone considering this course. I am on target to graduate this year. Since I started, the course has changed quite a bit, it was improved considerably when prof. Ed Hamp (sure he will not mind me using his shortname!) was in charge a but now I am told he is leaving and his modules (which were by a long way the best and most relevent of the modules we studied) are being changed and going to be taught by someone else. I know that some of the first years are not happy about some of the new modules this year or staff teaching them, and anyone starting next year will miss Aviation Technology.
I did my flying mostly with Leeds flying school which went bust then flew at Cleveland flying school Durham Tees Valley airport which was very good and well organised (thanks to people at CFS who know more about it than anyone in charge at Leeds).
The cost has also increased quite a lot compared to 4 years ago.
Reply 27
Hey, I'm applying this year (I'm in Upper 6th at the moment) to the Aviation Technology course at Leeds...have you enjoyed it?
Any tips/hints? I'm really excited - I'm hoping to be a commercial pilot too.
Thanks,
cdj7007

Latest