The Student Room Group

Is going for drinks a bad idea for a first date?

Is going for drinks too pressurised? Just having to sit there and talk for a couple of hours as opposed to doing an activity together where all the attention isn't on conversation?

What are your experiences of drinks dates?
I've been on a first date at a pub once, had a pretty good time the alcohol loosens me up so I become less weird :tongue:
I personally HATE activity dates, I find them awkward as hell.
Reply 2
We went out for ribena and things got pretty heated...

Jk. I'm pretty sure a lot of conversation is a good thing right? You get to know them a bit better?
It's a good option because it's nice and casual and there's alcohol involved (although obviously don't get ****faced). But you're right that you'll be constantly trying to keep awkward silences at bay, although they are pretty much guaranteed, and being engaged in some activity will help with that. I reckon bowling would be a good first date but I've never tried it myself.
Reply 4
I think it's perfect. You need a bit of time to talk to assess what's what. The surroundings can be convivial and moderate alcohol consumption helpful.
It can either go really well, if you have plenty in common and therefore enough to talk about. Or it can be horrifically awkward, in which case you're probably not suited to each other anyway.

I had one recently for the first time (my first dates have never involved alcohol) and it went a lot better than expected!
Its the only thing to do. less awkward than dinner, less lame than some dumb **** like a walk in the park. You have a couple of drinks, relax, get chatting, have a couple of more drinks, then go home and smash it. What's not to like?
Reply 7
Best kind of dates

Get to know the person a lil bit and usually ends with sex
I think getting drinks for the first date is lame. I would be unimpressed. I'd like to go on a date with a guy that's a bit more creative and original than that, or else he's just going to seem like any guy and he's not going to standout.
If you can't sit and talk for a couple of hours then I'm not sure you are going to have much of a future. Although I much prefer going out for a meal for a first date.
I'm the biggest lightweight in the world so I think it would be a bad idea for me.
I think it's a nice thing to do because its just you and them without the interruption or distraction of doing nything else. I think that doing activities sounds better than it actually is on a first date. I feel it could be really awkward. I think if you meet for drinks, chat, get on really well THEN spend your time thinking about something a lil more creative. There's no point thinking up something rly creative to do and then the girl hates it cos you didn't get a proper chance to talk to her and find out what she likes. That's from a girls perspective. I'd feel really pressured if a guy was making me do an activity and I didn't really like it or was bad at it. :bunny:
Nope, I think they're some of the best. It's pretty casual and it allows you to see how well the two of you get on. If you can talk for hours, great, if there's silences to the point where you feel awkward/uncomfortable, are you gonna want to see them again?
I love bowling and stuff, but I'd rather wait and do that once (if) you've been on a few dates and have got some of the talking out of the way :tongue:

Quick Reply