The Student Room Group

Another councillor sent to the "Equality and diversity training" gulag

Councillor, 70, who called herself the "n***** in the woodpile" is sent on equality and diversity course

A 70-year-old councillor who called herself "the n***** in the woodpile" has been sent on an equality and diversity course.

Convent-educated Elizabeth Peters used the offensive term while speaking to a member of the public after a Stroud District Council meeting.

The grandmother, who runs a bed and breakfast in Brimscombe, Gloucestershire, and organises the village fete, apologised but said the phrase was commonly used when she was young.

She said: "I'm 70 and grew up with this kind of thing. It was just something which slipped out. It was not directed at anyone except myself.

"There were no foreigners around. I have already apologised to the two people who were upset.

"I have also gone through with what the council wanted me to do go on an equality and diversity course.

"It will cost me £150 plus transport to London or Birmingham. It's a really costly mistake."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706136/Councillor-70-called-n-woodpile-sent-equality-diversity-course.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well she could go to prison instead but has chosen to take lessons instead

You have the right to be racist but not say racist things
good

age is not an excuse for racism
maybe i should use a racist term for white people and see how the daily mail commentators like that...

hypocrites
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by James222
Well she could go to prison instead but has chosen to take lessons instead

You have the right to be racist but not say racist things

Who gets to define what is "racist"? What state instrument prevents this dogma from being unquestionable? The freedom to say nothing is no freedom at all. The thought police are alive and well.

We all know that the "correct" term to refer to "people of colour", as I believe the current politically correct doctrine requires one to state on pain of attending a diversity gulag, has changed manifold times in recent decades, terms such as "black", "coloured", "negro" et al having been decreed "wrong" by the authorities even mere years after having been decreed "correct" by the same authorities. If you want to play the game then go ahead, but know that increasing numbers are sick and tired of the whole Stalinist charade.
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
good

age is not an excuse for racism
maybe i should use a racist term for white people and see how the daily mail commentators like that...

hypocrites

It seems to be perfectly acceptable for people like Greg Dyke to describe the BBC as "hideously white", why does he not get sent for "diversity and equality training"?
Original post by thesabbath
It seems to be perfectly acceptable for people like Greg Dyke to describe the BBC as "hideously white", why does he not get sent for "diversity and equality training"?

If you're trying to counter me at least get your facts right. Lazy trolls these days
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2707458/FA-Council-white-male-represent-players-fans-says-Greg-Dyke.html
Reply 6
If you're trying to counter me at least get your facts right. Lazy trolls these days
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2707458/FA-Council-white-male-represent-players-fans-says-Greg-Dyke.html

"Dyke, who once accused the BBC of being 'hideously white'"

What am I missing?
"Dyke, who once accused the BBC of being 'hideously white'"

What am I missing?

Excuse me.

He wasn't made to attend a training session because he isn't acting in a public capacity. Or perhaps because he said that in 2001 where such sessions did not exist at the time.
Reply 8
Excuse me.

He wasn't made to attend a training session because he isn't acting in a public capacity. Or perhaps because he said that in 2001 where such sessions did not exist at the time.

He's now chairman of the British Film Industry and the Football Association, both bodies receive public funding. One would imagine that someone displaying such anti-white prejudice would be barred from office, no?

Unless of course "anti-racist" is just a codeword for anti-white.
Reply 9
If only stamping out racism was as easy as going on a few weeks worth of a tolerance course.
This is exactly the sort of thing which happened in the Soviet Union. The authorities 're-educated' people for committing politically incorrect thought crimes, or speech crimes.

It's takes an outsider to notice this soft tyranny.
(edited 9 years ago)
Two white people were very upset about something which is clearly a figure of speech?

Gawd, violins on standby ...
What's the problem? What she said isn't acceptable

Or the problem with equality and diversity? Just because someone is different to you, it doesn't mean they don't deserve equal rights...
It's a stupid thing to say, but then again, it clearly wasn't said with racist intent.

It's like if I say, "This thread is about someone saying n******", that doesn't mean I've been racist.
Reply 14
Who gets to define what is "racist"? What state instrument prevents this dogma from being unquestionable? The freedom to say nothing is no freedom at all. The thought police are alive and well.

We all know that the "correct" term to refer to "people of colour", as I believe the current politically correct doctrine requires one to state on pain of attending a diversity gulag, has changed manifold times in recent decades, terms such as "black", "coloured", "negro" et al having been decreed "wrong" by the authorities even mere years after having been decreed "correct" by the same authorities. If you want to play the game then go ahead, but know that increasing numbers are sick and tired of the whole Stalinist charade.

Politically correct terms may change and that may confuse some, but while that may excuse somebody saying an out of fashion word like "coloured" it isn't going to slide for "******". Nobody is that out of the loop, you can't blame the inconsistent and frivolous world of political correctness for that one. What is next? "Oh I am sorry, I didn't realise faggot was an unacceptable word for bum-bandits these days. Can't be expected to keep up with to official lingo, political correctness gone mad amirite?"

And yes, a short training course is totally comparable to brutal forced labour camps :rolleyes:
The use of 'gulag' in the title us quite epically offensive to those who actually spent time in gulags.
She used an unacceptable word
She apologised BUT tried to justify with
> This was ok when I was young
> There were no foreigners around

Yet people think she does not need re-educating
Reply 17
This use of racist sayings by the elderly can be quite amusing.

I remember being somewhat taken aback when I heard a 73 year old lady tell a young boy that he needs to stay out of the sun or he'll turn into a n*****.
good

Age is not an excuse for racism

This.
Original post by TenOfThem
She used an unacceptable word
She apologised BUT tried to justify with
> This was ok when I was young
> There were no foreigners around

Yet people think she does not need re-educating

I most certainly will not be making any effort to keep up with what's deemed acceptable one day, yet racist the next. People like you are far more harmful to society than this 'racist' old woman.

She used a word that is now deemed to be racist; there was no racist sentiment behind her using it. I'm all for eradicating racism but people have a tendency to victimise the wrong people.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending