The Student Room Group

How do YOU deal with colds/flu?

ANd how many school days have you taken sick this year?
I don't really do anything in all honestly, let my body heal over a period of time. Usually doesn't last longer than a week.

92% for school attendance, but I usually take days off to do coursework a haha bad habit but I procrastinate way too much on weekends.
Reply 2
I handle my sick days really well and usually recover with in 2 days if not 1.

It's simple, drink lots of water! And also try to stay active, ei do some tidying up or something while your at home instead of just laying in bed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plenty of vitamin C and a thing called echinacea tincture, it can taste foul but it works wonders :smile:
I never take days off for colds, maybe flu if it's bad. I only take days off for ear infections or migraines. I take ibuprofen with me into school just in case my ears or head start to hurt.

I got around 96% attendance for my record last year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't really get them but when I do get a lil stuffy I just take meds/wait it out.
Reply 6
Tough it out. If its bad REAL flu then i have to take time off work. In the real world of work then generally if you take time off sick you loose money and you are up for some sickness monitoring when you return.
Reply 7
I had the flu with this after I caught it from my mum. I spent the first day or two just lying in bed moaning to my bf about how achy I felt and he made me soup etc. The first 2/3 days are the worst so after that I felt ok enough to do things myself and go a walk outside. As soon as l get to that stage, my bf ends up getting ill with the flu then lol.

There's nothing you really can do for the cold and flu other than sleep, keep hydrated and just wait it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a big difference between the two of them . Flu will pretty much land you in bed (and if it doesn't, it's not flu, it's just a bad cold and even then some colds are pretty horrible).

And if you do genuinely have the flu and think you can carry on (I know one girl who came into uni once for a test and she had been diagnosed with the flu, she looked really awful) you're not doing yourself or anyone else a favour. You're just spreading your germs around, possibly to people who are less able to handle it and more prone to complications of the flu than you are, and prolonging your own recovery. You're better off staying in bed, getting plenty of rest, making sure you get enough fluids and taking OTC meds for aches etc.

Which is all you can do for colds as well, treat the symptoms-stock up on tissues, drink lots of hot drinks or get some lozenges if you've got sore throat, take paracetamol or ibuprofen for aches and pains.

I get the flu vaccine every year because I have asthma, and luckily I'm yet to have ever had the flu. I've had some horrific colds where I've had to take a day or two off uni, but I don't do anything other than the above-drink lots of hot drinks, make sure I've got tissues, take paracetamol if I've got a headache or other aches and keep my inhaler close by (as they make me wheezy and go straight to my chest every time). I wouldn't take a day off work for a cold, but I do make sure I wash my hands frequently if I do have one and am in work because I don't want to spread it around anyone else.
Drink water and if I need to, take some stuff for my nose. For the first time in about 2 years, I had a cold earlier this year. It lasted so long. :frown:
I haven't had a cold this year (touch wood). However, when I was at sixth form, I had the flu three times (including during AS exam season!) and caught a cold on average once every two months, which sucked (I even had one on our last week!). I just get plenty of Vitamin C, stay well hydrated, keep warm, and, if it's really really bad, l take to my bed until it goes :smile: I hated staying off for colds, and I normally just get on with it, but there were a few that wiped me out completely.

Quick Reply