The Student Room Group

Sudden offer from LSE

Hello, everybody! I got an offer from Warwick in March (MSc in Behavioural and Economic Science) and was put on the waiting list in LSE (MSc Management Science (Decision Sciences)). Time passed, no anwser from LSE :smile:
I was going to apply for my Tier4 visa soon, but quite surprsingly LSE sent me a letter with a conditional offer (they require a copy of my degree certificate). Should I change my mind? I was really looking forward to studying in Warwick, but at the moment I am, to say the least, confused. LSE sounds more redoubtable, but I still don't know what to do. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Reply 1
what about WBS deposit, can you afford to lose it?

Is there a tuition difference btw WBS and LSE and can you take the London cost hike?
Reply 2
I didn't make any deposits except 250gbp for acommodation. I guess, it's refundable. Tution difference is insignificant. About cost if LSE is really a better choice, I could spend a bit more, no problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
This is a good decision science test. Given Tution difference is insignificant and no penalty for withdrawal. Do you feel a diff in quality of teaching, learning methods, assessment, alumni base of WBS/LSE alumni chapter in yr country and career opps. Who offers the transformational exp.. I can't answer this for you as I don't know yr profile/goals.

What are your goals and what skills do you need to develop?

In the UK, LSE and WBS are top 5 in behavioural and Decision Science. Oxbridge and Nottingham are also top.
Reply 4
Well, it's a really difficult ******* to solve due to lack of the information. Honestly, I incline to LSE, London is great, and its reputation is higher. Probably, not the best reasons to base my decision on, but what else can I do? :smile:
My goal is to stay in the UK, either on PhD programme or to find a job there. Since courses seem to be quite similar, I'm not sure which one would be better for these purposes.
Reply 5
Well, after a ton of thoughts I am inclined to choose Warwick. I like the content of the course more, and I also think that this course offers more opportunities for a good PhD topic after doing my masters.
So, the only question is "Am I stupid to choose Warwick over LSE?" :redface:

For example, my parents think I am because if I had to come back to my home country, the brand of LSE would look much better in my CV.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
It depends on your country. For US and Asia, LSE brand is stronger with larger alumni chapters. Where are you from?

One think supporting Warwick and Conventry location vs LSE in London: Fewer distractions in Warwick and cheaper living

If you are from outside the EU, don't count on sponsored visa after graduation. I know some smart Asians who struggled to get visa after MSc. It is a immigration policy matter. See home office website.
Reply 7
I'm from Russia. Yeah, I've already understood that finding a job even after LSE masters might be nearly impossible for a non-EU citizen. Applying for a PhD programme with funding seems to be more realistic path of my future career since I wouldn't like to come back to Russia.
Reply 8
Original post by crazyfrogspb
I'm from Russia. Yeah, I've already understood that finding a job even after LSE masters might be nearly impossible for a non-EU citizen. Applying for a PhD programme with funding seems to be more realistic path of my future career since I wouldn't like to come back to Russia.

its not that hard, this is just anecdotal but my Russian friend got into PwC grad scheme after her undergraduate degree.
Reply 9

If you're good, companies will work to help you get your visa. An Indian friend of mine got an offer from Citigroup (Private Banking) and the company helped him get his work visa.
So, you guys imply that I should go for LSE? Or finding a job (in UK, I mean) after Warwick isn't that much harder?
Reply 11
job visa is better
Original post by djas
job visa is better

sry, don't follow you, better than what?

But you always may return home. Join the Army as recruit for a year and after that start military career. Why don't you want just to join the Army, as all other Russian chaps of your age do?
You are sooooo funny
So, you guys imply that I should go for LSE? Or finding a job (in UK, I mean) after Warwick isn't that much harder?

Given that both are top 5 for your subject, the job prospects in the UK are indistinguishable. It is up to you to decide whether the job prospects in Russia would tip the balance in favour of one or the other.

Quick Reply

Latest