The Student Room Group

Just how bad was Liverpool's bottle job last season?

I still cannot get my head around the fact that Liverpool didn't win the EPL last season. Citeh were good, but they shouldn't have been allowed back in to pole position in the final week.

Will Liverpool ever recover from it?

Scroll to see replies

Not all that bad really. They dropped 5 points in 14 games. Obviously the Palace game was a disaster but even if they'd won it 7-0 they wouldn't have won the title. So essentially the bottle job was one game, a vintage Mourinho bus job. Hardly a 'bottle'.
They slipped at one of the last hurdles.

In all seriousness I hate to say it but Arsenal bottled it more. Top for 128 days and finished 4th. If it weren't for them defeats against the top 5 we would have won the double.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James2810
In all seriousness I hate to say it but Arsenal bottled it more. Top for 128 days and finished 4th. If it weren't for them defeats against the top 5 we would have won the double.

Failing to score a goal against the worst Manchester United team for 30 years was worse if you ask me. Add on the 5 points dropped from that alone and Arsenal would be above Chelsea/level with Liverpool.
Original post by sr90
Failing to score a goal against the worst Manchester United team for 30 years was worse if you ask me. Add on the 5 points dropped from that alone and Arsenal would be above Chelsea/level with Liverpool.

I was disappointed with the Man Utd game aswell but if you told me after the 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa at the start of the season that we would sign Mesut Özil and finished the season 4th and as FA Cup winners I would have told you to tell me another joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I agree, I don't think Liverpool really did a 'bottle' job, Liverpool won 12, drew 1 and lost 1 of their final 14 games which is hardly a team stuttering under pressure. They manufactured themselves a chance to win the title out of nowhere and nearly did it. Also they dropped the critical points by playing positively and taking risks, they weren't a team that went in to their shell and played differently when the pressure was on, they played the way they had done all season and sometimes it won't come off.

If there was a bottle job last season it was actually Chelsea. With 9 games to go they were 7 points clear at the top of the table and their run in was Villa (A), Arsenal (H), Palace (A), Stoke (H), Swansea (A), Sunderland (H), Liverpool (A), Norwich (H), Cardiff (A). That really is a sequence of games that a champion team should be able to close out.

But in their run-in, with the title in sight they lost away at Villa and Palace and lost at home to Sunderland, as well as drawing at home to Norwich who went down. All they needed do was pick up a couple of wins in that group and they would have been champions ahead of City.

Can Chelsea recover from this?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Yeah I agree, I don't think Liverpool really did a 'bottle' job, Liverpool won 12, drew 1 and lost 1 of their final 14 games which is hardly a team stuttering under pressure. They manufactured themselves a chance to win the title out of nowhere and nearly did it. Also they dropped the critical points by playing positively and taking risks, they weren't a team that went in to their shell and played differently when the pressure was on, they played the way they had done all season and sometimes it won't come off.

If there was a bottle job last season it was actually Chelsea. With 9 games to go they were 7 points clear at the top of the table and their run in was Villa (A), Arsenal (H), Palace (A), Stoke (H), Swansea (A), Sunderland (H), Liverpool (A), Norwich (H), Cardiff (A). That really is a sequence of games that a champion team should be able to close out.

But in their run-in, with the title in sight they lost away at Villa and Palace and lost at home to Sunderland, as well as drawing at home to Norwich who went down. All they needed do was pick up a couple of wins in that group and they would have been champions ahead of City.

I agree that Chelsea also bottled it, but in regards to your final statement...Yes, they can, because they have Mourinho.
But in their run-in, with the title in sight they lost away at Villa

Tell em again.

Reply 8
Liverpool's was a sensational run. I think they far surpassed their ability and potential last year.

If there was ever a year for Liverpool to win the PL, it was last year imo. It was a pleasure to see us go so close.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I still cannot get my head around the fact that Liverpool didn't win the EPL last season. Citeh were good, but they shouldn't have been allowed back in to pole position in the final week.

Will Liverpool ever recover from it?

You have a scarily bad obsession with a club you dislike. Basically every day you post about them. Been said before but you obviously have mental issues, which is fine, i just hope you're doing something about it in real life :smile:
Reply 10
Several teams bottled it last season, but none so hard as Chelsea.
Reply 11

Spot on
Their bottle job was almost as bad as this WUM thread :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha.
Original post by Manchester United

Hahahahaha.

The sad thing now is, United have to rely on getting their enjoyment from other teams preventing Liverpool winning the title, like back in the 1980s, because United were smashed out of sight by the scousers last season. Although it has come to something where City winning the league is regarded as a preferable option in the run-in....

In fact if we are talking biggest bottle job, what about United's attempt to defend their title. It was one whole bottle from start to finish.
The sad thing now is, United have to rely on getting their enjoyment from other teams preventing Liverpool winning the title, like back in the 1980s, because United were smashed out of sight by the scousers last season. Although it has come to something where City winning the league is regarded as a preferable option in the run-in....

In fact if we are talking biggest bottle job, what about United's attempt to defend their title. It was one whole bottle from start to finish.

We were in transition brah, you mad?

No.

You're speaking as if this is going to happen often. We will finish above Liverpool next season. They over-performed last season and we under-performed. Plus, they didn't have European football and we did. Oh, and we had Moyes.

Crystal Palace though? Hahahahaaha!!

United have transitioned to new squads / teams / tactics before in the Fergie era and always came back stronger. We let other teams have a few scraps to encourage a good competition.
No.

You're speaking as if this is going to happen often. We will finish above Liverpool next season. They over-performed last season and we under-performed. Plus, they didn't have European football and we did. Oh, and we had Moyes.

I bet you thought the same last season

"Yes Fergie is gone but United have always been about more than one man"

"It's laughable when people say we won't even make top 4"

"Scousers thinking they will beat us/finish above us LOOOL"

I think United will be better under LVG and it will be hard for Liverpool to match their performance from last season without Suarez and with Champions League but United have lost ground and aren't really taking the drastic action needed to catch up.

Can United catch Spurs, Everton....probably. Can they catch Liverpool, possibly. Can they catch Arsenal....I doubt it.

As for City and Chelsea, they are in a different universe to United. The Manchester derbies are going to be a source of pain and embarassment to United fans for the coming years as City dish out all their decades of bitterness on you.

Yes Palace showed what happens if you actually don't fear Liverpool and run at them, even when 3-0 down at home.

When United were 3-0 down to the scousers at home they were frozen in fear and intimidated by the aura of the Liverpool jerseys.

So really what you are highlighting is that nowadays even Palace are able to do things United can't.

Quick Reply

Latest