The Student Room Group

Why do people think curry is Indian?

Curry is the national dish of Japan, and is eaten all over Asia as a staple food with rice and veg.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Curry is the national dish of Japan, and is eaten all over Asia as a staple food with rice and veg.

I just today read a Japanese manga where a large part of the story was based on the premise that curry is Indian. I mean, yes, it also featured a demonic butler and made a curry-contest a matter of life and death, but I'm sure it was still credible :tongue:
Reply 2
curry originated in india, it being eaten by other asian simply means they embraced curry like uk has embraced it.
It is sold in Indian restaurants, so I just assumed.
Reply 4
don't even try claim curry originated from other asian countries, it originated in india.
I think it's because most people (outside of Asia of course) will be eating curry in Indian restaurants, or from Indian takeaways. In reality many of these restaurants are owned by Pakistanis / Bangladeshis etc.

I think people generally know that other countries have curry traditions (eg parts of Africa, Thailand, Japan, the Caribbean, etc). But because Indian food is so popular in the West (particularly the UK), curry has become a euphemism with Indian food. Its not because people are ignorant per se, its usually just an informal name for Indian food.
Original post by slade p
don't even try claim curry originated from other asian countries, it originated in india.

Well technically Hindustan

I.e India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
Probably because British people first encountered it in India and took the name from there:

"Curry was adopted and anglicised from the Tamil word kari (கறி) meaning 'sauce',[5] which is usually understood to mean vegetables and/or meat cooked with spices with or without a gravy.[6] According to this theory, kari was first encountered in the mid-17th century by members of the British East India Company trading with Tamil (Indian) merchants along the Coromandel Coast of southeast India,[7] particularly at Fort St. George"

(From wikipedia, obvs)
It's just the way the english speaking world distinguishes indian food. I think most of us with a little food knowledge know 'curry' doesn't necessarily depict indian food.

Is it?

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/attractions/dining/food/jfood_01.html

They are wannabes.

Japan has 3 national dishes: Curry, Ramen, and Sushi (or any fish, really).
Curry came to Japan via Britain.
Currry was brought to the UK by bengalis. The indians who came to the UK in 50s didnt really open any restaurants
I think what OP wants to say is:

Why do people think curry is exclusively Indian?
Born in raised in India, been here nearly 18 years and I know that curry is an entirely British invention. In the whort while i visited the UK, I ate some curry once and there's nothing like it in India. Here, we refer to curry as any gravy, if at all we do. "Chicken curry" itself refers to a large range of chicken dishes which all are made in gravy.

tl;dr - nothing in India that is really called curry.
One name: Kuro****suji :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

what? curry isn't eaten in any of the asian countries my family is from (China/Phillipines). Their food is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different from each other let a lone India. Zero spices in their food.
Original post by ChickenMadness
what? curry isn't eaten in any of the asian countries my family is from (China/Phillipines). Their food is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different from each other let a lone India. Zero spices in their food.

Thailand, Myanmar, Indonesia, Singapore, Cambodia, parts of China, Nepal??

Quick Reply

Latest