The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Are new halls social? (Talybont Gate)

Should have really thought about this before I applied, but are new university halls usually very social?

I applied for Talybont Gate (mainly because it was new and pretty) but I heard Talybont South is usually the most sociable and i'd rather have that for my first year tbh.

I got an offer for Talybont Court but i'm not sure I want it now if new halls don't tend to be very sociable.

Please help me D:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've also heard that South is very sociable compared to Court (and perhaps Gate?) and I wanted in on that but I am also glad I didn't go for it because it will be load especially when you are trying to sleep. Also, Gate is really new so we have no idea how sociable it will be but it's seeming quite posh at the moment which may not be the ideal background to a party scene. Still, there is no way of knowing currently.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Talybont South is the "most social" just because it's massive, personally I'm actually glad i didn't go there in my first year as there are just too many people around (all the Taly campuses are in a row - Taly Court, then Taly South, then Taly North, then Taly Gate). I still had a very social experience and actually got to know the people living around me :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi Guys 3rd year Politics and Sociology student here and just lending a helping hand to all you new and excited freshers. There is a Talybont South and Talybont North facebook page that is updated with events, hall information and it's also a great way to find out who you are living with.

Check it out on here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tall..._t=group_admin (Taly South)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381097112171608/ (Taly North)

Also if you have any questions about fresher events, university life or anything cardiff university related feel free to drop me a message and i'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
I ended up switching to talybont south - mostly because of money but also because of how social it sounds. Gonna buy earplugs so sleeping should be okay.

But thanks for the help anyway guys! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Leylaaaaaaaaaa
I ended up switching to talybont south - mostly because of money but also because of how social it sounds. Gonna buy earplugs so sleeping should be okay.

But thanks for the help anyway guys! :biggrin:

hey :smile: how did you end up switching? did you just call them? cause i have the same situation, got an offer from talybont court but just seen how expensive it is.. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I'm also in the same situation, I've been given a place in Talybont Gate which is slightly more expensive and potentially less social? How did you manage to change?
I had an amazing year in Talybont South, it really is a social hub - you become so close to everyone in the house, if theyre up for a laugh! We used to go out in groups of like 30-40 we were all so close!
Noone can vouch for how social Taly Gate will be as you freshers will be the first people there... but with 3/4 beds, and a communal TV with freeview and license paid I would say its worth the extra and I would take an offer there (plus its closer to big tesco and 24hr maccies!!)
1. Taly Gate
2. Taly South
3. Taly North
4. Taly Court

Thats gotta be the best order!!
So now u know about taly gate whether is social as some of u are living there.
Is taly gate social?
Between taly gate and court which is more social and is it worth living tthere insted of taly south?
I would go for south but i dont like the bathroom and the small size of room
Original post by glorymanutd
So now u know about taly gate whether is social as some of u are living there.
Is taly gate social?
Between taly gate and court which is more social and is it worth living tthere insted of taly south?
I would go for south but i dont like the bathroom and the small size of room

i have the same dilemma. can anyone help us? whats the difference and south is more social than others?
Reply 10
Original post by angelica1995
i have the same dilemma. can anyone help us? whats the difference and south is more social than others?

Talybont South is by FAR the best... I'm there now and honestly I love it, it's amazing. Such a great community. It's social because of the amount of people and also cause or the layout. For example, in my house there's 6 people in each flat. There's two flats per floor directly opposite each other, and the staircase is in between them. It's so easy to just pop over to another flat. Yes we may have a bad shower room, no cubicle it's just a wet room, but I don't care. Nobody does. It's still a hot shower and has amazing convenience in your room! COME TO TALY SOUTH!!! So close to where the taxis go and is a short walk to lectures.

Taly North... Do not go here. Rooms are small and dingey and smell bad. Absolutely gross. Unless you're lucky enough to get put in the newer north buildings which are actually quite nice, you won't like your surroundings. Only problem with the newer buildings is that they're further from lectures, however they're closer to big tesco. If you don't mind the risk of a small room and tiny kitchen and don't mind the extra walk if you're in the nice blocks, by all means go there. It's still very social, just not in as nice of an environment. Hence 'talybronx'.

Taly Court... Here you have an actual shower cubicle and bigger rooms/bigger kitchen. Has somewhere to sit down. In my opinion though, not worth the money. Closer to lectures though. The people in there are social able people, but the layout just makes it a bit harder to get to know other flats well. Seriously though, why go here when it's £600 more than south, and for only £45 more you could get the luxury of taly gate?

Last of all; the brand new taly gate. This place is AMAZING. So pretty with gorgeous kitchens and bedrooms with 3/4 beds. And a very decent bathroom. £4645 is honestly not expensive for what you get, especially considering the price of other unis. Somewhere else you'd be paying a good £5500. Taly gate is also kind of a luck of the draw, cause there's one MASSIVE kitchen per floor and the others are smaller. And by massive I genuinely mean really big. It's beautiful. I'm jealous. Taly gate is the furthest from lectures so be aware of that, however you have big tesco and McDonald's on your doorstep. It will be social, it's taly and everywhere is, however it's quiter than taly south definitely. If you have the money, why not.

Hope all that helps. Make sure you go for Talybont Complex, any of them, above other halls. :smile: wouldn't change my decision ever.
Reply 11
What do you mean by the showers being small and stuff ? Arent there ensuites ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wiwa22
Talybont South is by FAR the best... I'm there now and honestly I love it, it's amazing. Such a great community. It's social because of the amount of people and also cause or the layout. For example, in my house there's 6 people in each flat. There's two flats per floor directly opposite each other, and the staircase is in between them. It's so easy to just pop over to another flat. Yes we may have a bad shower room, no cubicle it's just a wet room, but I don't care. Nobody does. It's still a hot shower and has amazing convenience in your room! COME TO TALY SOUTH!!! So close to where the taxis go and is a short walk to lectures.

Taly North... Do not go here. Rooms are small and dingey and smell bad. Absolutely gross. Unless you're lucky enough to get put in the newer north buildings which are actually quite nice, you won't like your surroundings. Only problem with the newer buildings is that they're further from lectures, however they're closer to big tesco. If you don't mind the risk of a small room and tiny kitchen and don't mind the extra walk if you're in the nice blocks, by all means go there. It's still very social, just not in as nice of an environment. Hence 'talybronx'.

Taly Court... Here you have an actual shower cubicle and bigger rooms/bigger kitchen. Has somewhere to sit down. In my opinion though, not worth the money. Closer to lectures though. The people in there are social able people, but the layout just makes it a bit harder to get to know other flats well. Seriously though, why go here when it's £600 more than south, and for only £45 more you could get the luxury of taly gate?

Last of all; the brand new taly gate. This place is AMAZING. So pretty with gorgeous kitchens and bedrooms with 3/4 beds. And a very decent bathroom. £4645 is honestly not expensive for what you get, especially considering the price of other unis. Somewhere else you'd be paying a good £5500. Taly gate is also kind of a luck of the draw, cause there's one MASSIVE kitchen per floor and the others are smaller. And by massive I genuinely mean really big. It's beautiful. I'm jealous. Taly gate is the furthest from lectures so be aware of that, however you have big tesco and McDonald's on your doorstep. It will be social, it's taly and everywhere is, however it's quiter than taly south definitely. If you have the money, why not.

Hope all that helps. Make sure you go for Talybont Complex, any of them, above other halls. :smile: wouldn't change my decision ever.

So if money was not a matter in what order would you put taly court, gate and south? (take into account:social life, rooms and distance)

i know taly gate is so far from lectures and city centre. does it worth walking everyday such a long way?;/
Reply 13
Original post by Nerd44
What do you mean by the showers being small and stuff ? Arent there ensuites ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they're ensuite. But it's a wet room. Put it this way... You can go to the toilet, shower and wash your hands at the same time. Haha!! It's honestly not too bad though, doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Reply 14
Original post by angelica1995
So if money was not a matter in what order would you put taly court, gate and south? (take into account:social life, rooms and distance)

i know taly gate is so far from lectures and city centre. does it worth walking everyday such a long way?;/

South, Gate then Court. That's the order I put them in on my application and I still agree with my decision. I love the social life at South so wouldn't want to be anywhere else. As money wouldn't be an issue for you, Gate is beautiful so there would be next. Court last... Not as good as you'd expect and I'd hate to walk back from Tesco to there
Reply 15
does anyone know if cardiff's accommodation is allocated on a first come first served basis?
or do they allocate everyone's accommodation at the same time?

the website isnt very clear:frown:
Original post by wiwa22
South, Gate then Court. That's the order I put them in on my application and I still agree with my decision. I love the social life at South so wouldn't want to be anywhere else. As money wouldn't be an issue for you, Gate is beautiful so there would be next. Court last... Not as good as you'd expect and I'd hate to walk back from Tesco to there

What make you prefer south than gate?
What are the ensuite's like in Taly Gate?? I'm pretty set on South and then south UG extra as my first and second choice, but then I'm torn between gate and north for third choice, the price of north is the same as south but the newer build and bigger beds of gate makes me question the order i put them in on the accommodaion application!
Original post by wiwa22

Hi. *waves*
Thanks for your help, I have a few questions I hope you won't mind answering. :smile:
Is Taly Gate made up of mostly very rich, posh people because it is so new and expensive? If so I don't think I'd fit in :/
I'm worried Taly South will be too loud, I like going out but I don't want to go out every night and especially would like quiet when have exams or assignments in and I've been told people go out every night and it's loud every night. Is that true? Do you think Taly South would still be a good choice for me?
Oh and do you know anything about Liberty Cambrian Point?
Original post by Still-Thinking
Hi. *waves*
Thanks for your help, I have a few questions I hope you won't mind answering. :smile:
Is Taly Gate made up of mostly very rich, posh people because it is so new and expensive? If so I don't think I'd fit in :/
I'm worried Taly South will be too loud, I like going out but I don't want to go out every night and especially would like quiet when have exams or assignments in and I've been told people go out every night and it's loud every night. Is that true? Do you think Taly South would still be a good choice for me?
Oh and do you know anything about Liberty Cambrian Point?

I can't answer about Taly Gate as it wasn't open when I was a first year but I can answer about Taly South :smile:

Taly South can be loud at times (especially freshers!) but as soon as it came to exam season everybody was a lot quieter as everyone had exams. The security guards are really good and usually tell people to be quiet during the exam period so don't worry about that :smile:

I would agree in saying that Taly South is the best socially, followed by Taly North. I loved every minute of living there and one piece of advice..enjoy first year!! It gets a lot harder after than haha

Quick Reply

Latest