The Student Room Group

Advice for an A-Level advice please

I will hopefully be doing Biology, Chemistry and Geography for A-Levels in September if I get the correct grades. I need to get A's at least. Therefore does anyone have any advice for me and how I can achieve high grades?
If you think about it, you can guess at the answer to this : work hard, do the required reading/classwork/revision and write well thought out assignments. There isn't a magic trick here - the people who put in the work 100% from week 1 of the course and do that consistently for every week of the 2 years are the ones who succeed. Yes, intelligence and aptitude for the subject helps but even if you have all that and do no serious work you won't get an A grade.
Reply 2
I did biology and chemistry and you really need to not let anything mount up. Especially with organic chemistry, also try past paper question the second you've finished a topic so you get into the right habits with answering questions. Make sure you have notes for everything and that you're all organised through out the two years. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Chemistry - spend your time learning to understand topics, don't just memorise a sequence of events of a reaction etc. Some aspects (definitions) will require that, but at least the summer module is far easier if you learn why things are happening, because you can apply it to any other unknown situation then. The trends and patterns you'll learn can logically be remembered by using the periodic table, if you understand what parameters affect what things. It's a pretty logical subject, once you get into the right mindset.

Biology - far more about rote learning things. Just keep on top of it. Condense your notes into bullet points and break down sections. The revision guides that exam boards sell are usually quite decent to help you with that.

Pay attention in class, don't be afraid to ask questions, and use your free periods wisely. Sit with your friends for a couple of hours a week maybe, but perhaps think about going to the library and revising what you've done on a module so far before a lesson etc. Or, do your homework in them if you know you won't concentrate on it at home.

Quick Reply

Latest