The Student Room Group

Did TSR influence your uni decision/place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James222
It helped me revise for my A-levels and which uni to firm and Insurance and prepared me for my graduate scheme interview so yea helped me tons

Woah, awesome.

Help all the way from a levels to a career.
Which a levels? Which unis? And did you nail the grad scheme interview?

Give a shoutout to the members that helped if you can remember our find the old threads.
Original post by smjwell
This is completely irrelevant to the thread, but I actually just spent a year studying at Warwick and hated it so I dropped out. In September, I will be starting at Sheffield! I can't wait :smile:

Sheffield is where it's at. Warwick is decent if you enjoy the little bubble atmosphere, but for me it was just too enclosed when I visited. Sheffield definitely has a good mix of the city vibe but there's also a lot happening on campus too so, you get the best of both tbh.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
TSR taught me that the only universities worth going to are Oxbridge,LSE,Ivies,Stanford,MIT.

Which one of the five are you going to?

There's also a lot of love for "Russel Group" unis since there's a lot more people there then at oxbridge .

Original post by smjwell
This is completely irrelevant to the thread, but I actually just spent a year studying at Warwick and hated it so I dropped out. In September, I will be starting at Sheffield! I can't wait :smile:

:console: What did you hate about warwick? Maybe this post will influence others. who knows..

Why did you choose Sheffield? How did you pick them? did you ever look at our Uni of Sheffield Guide? (we have one for most unis i think)
Reply 23
TSR's obsession with the Russell Group universities and Oxbridge made me feel a bit bad about my university choices, but that didn't affect my choices at the end of it. I did manage to get a bit of help from the personal statement builder thing, but then again, the majority of help came from my history teacher. So in conclusion, TSR didn't have much of an influence in my uni application.
No. I've already decided on a uni and only went on TSR to find out more about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
I did the same but I have since realised I got help from study help for final year of a level. This may have made the difference of a grade and me making my firm choice. :yep:

Oh well, it didn't for me. I only joined after I've made the decision where to go and which programme to confirm.
Which one of the five are you going to?

There's also a lot of love for "Russel Group" unis since there's a lot more people there then at oxbridge .

:console: What did you hate about warwick? Maybe this post will influence others. who knows..

Why did you choose Sheffield? How did you pick them? did you ever look at our Uni of Sheffield Guide? (we have one for most unis i think)

Well I want to go to Cambridge/Harvard/Stanford - but I'll see how life pans out.
nope my french teacher influenced my decision to go to surrey.
Original post by donutaud15
No. I've already decided on a uni and only went on TSR to find out more about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Find out useful things? Where did you look? the guides or the uni subforum?

Original post by clh_hilary
Oh well, it didn't for me. I only joined after I've made the decision where to go and which programme to confirm.

Fair enough. Did you post in your uni subforum for help/do you to help others there?

Well I want to go to Cambridge/Harvard/Stanford - but I'll see how life pans out.

How old are you/what are you studying?

Fair enough. Did you post in your uni subforum for help/do you to help others there?

17, what am I studying - Maths,FM,Chemistry,Physics A Levels, along with SAT,ACT, SAT 2's and AP.

I'm gunna make it brah :wink:

They were very useful at that time. I looked into the guides but also the sub forum. I found talking to people who were in my position helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
17, what am I studying - Maths,FM,Chemistry,Physics A Levels, along with SAT,ACT, SAT 2's and AP.

I'm gunna make it brah :wink:

Nice, what did you get at GCSE?

As year i'm assuming otherwise you'd have been through the application process.
Nice, what did you get at GCSE?

As year i'm assuming otherwise you'd have been through the application process.

Gap year, 11 A stars :/

However since there are igcses available in Nov and Jan - I may get it up..

Kind of, UCAS-UK, CommonApp-US.

Not applied though.
Gap year, 11 A stars :/

However since there are igcses available in Nov and Jan - I may get it up..

Kind of, UCAS-UK, CommonApp-US.

Not applied though.

Nice GCSE work.

Is there much info on TSR about applying to US colleges and if not are you writing some? :wink:
Nice GCSE work.

Is there much info on TSR about applying to US colleges and if not are you writing some? :wink:

There's a bit on the NA sub-forum. And I'm on College Confidential - the sister TSR site.

Maybe, if I have time - and if anyone would bother to find it useful.

What about yourself?

What level of study are you at, or are you working etc. :smile:
Original post by Coffeetime
I originally joined the American equivalent of TSR, but I found the people on there to be incredibly rude. I was thrilled to find TSR. I can't say my choices are based on anything specific, but since I can't visit, I rely a lot on other users.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo I'm quite interested in American universities in the future, may I ask what equivalent forum this was?:smile:
There's a bit on the NA sub-forum. And I'm on College Confidential - the sister TSR site.

Maybe, if I have time - and if anyone would bother to find it useful.

What about yourself?

What level of study are you at, or are you working etc. :smile:

College confidential is nothing to do with TSR btw.

Yea, people would find it very useful. You could write articles for the wiki with what you know so far and start threads to get others to join in and help.

I just finished a chemistry masters degree and about 30 minutes ago got offered a project scientist job. :ahee:

Atm i'm working at TSR over the summer, helping out with results day etc.
Original post by Coffeetime
I originally joined the American equivalent of TSR, but I found the people on there to be incredibly rude. I was thrilled to find TSR. I can't say my choices are based on anything specific, but since I can't visit, I rely a lot on other users.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of TSR users are very helpful and polite i find. You get the odd weird threads but in the university sections i find it to be nice whereas the only american forum i've seen is terrible.

Which country are you living in atm and where are you applying for?
College confidential is nothing to do with TSR btw.

Yea, people would find it very useful. You could write articles for the wiki with what you know so far and start threads to get others to join in and help.

I just finished a chemistry masters degree and about 30 minutes ago got offered a project scientist job. :ahee:

Atm i'm working at TSR over the summer, helping out with results day etc.

Most of TSR users are very helpful and polite i find. You get the odd weird threads but in the university sections i find it to be nice whereas the only american forum i've seen is terrible.

Which country are you living in atm and where are you applying for?

Oh ok, if I have the time then I will.

Wow nice, I find Chemistry to be the hardest A Level, but a lot of fun nevertheless. Everyone loves benzene :smile:

Aha nice have fun with that, CC is a lot difficult to navigate than TSR, but still helpful.
I'd already decided where I wanted to apply when I joined TSR. My subject's only offered by a few universities so it was just a case of visiting them and deciding which one I liked the best, which ended up being Sheffield. Cannot wait to go back in September!

Quick Reply

Latest