The Student Room Group

Did TSR influence your uni decision/place?

I only signed up to TSR after an open day at a university that i'd already decided i wanted to go to...

But lots of people sign up during As levels/GCSEs and ask TSR where they should go and why and use the information on the uni profiles on here to help.

I'd be interested to hear your stories in if TSR influenced where you ended up and how?

Did you get personal statement advice?
Did you come on results day and talk to our highly trained UCAS advisers?
Did you start a thread on "where should i study X?"?

Scroll to see replies

Yes and no, it did get me to finally have the confidence to make an application to some unis however where I am now wasn't dependent on TSR :tongue:

I think it really depends on the uni forum here, for example the medicine and Oxbridge forum prove to still have a big influence as the amount of resources is still fairly large :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by Slowbro93
Yes and no, it did get me to finally have the confidence to make an application to some unis however where I am now wasn't dependent on TSR :tongue:

I think it really depends on the uni forum here, for example the medicine and Oxbridge forum prove to still have a big influence as the amount of resources is still fairly large :yep:

So you applied to others because of TSR but ended up where you were going to apply anyway?

Medicine/Oxbridge are extra competitive so people take the TSr extra help they can get.
I don't think TSR really did influence my choices. During my first UCAS run I was struggling between whether I would firm Aberdeen and insure Dundee, or the other way around. I think I might have made a thread asking about it but opinions went both ways. I went to visit Aberdeen and liked it so I ended up firming it. During this UCAS cycle I'd always known I wanted to go to Glasgow so there was nothing to convince me of :smile:

I did get my personal statement checked by the PS Helpers during my first application but to be honest I was 17 and didn't take criticism very well so I don't think I took any of their advice on board!
I originally joined the American equivalent of TSR, but I found the people on there to be incredibly rude. I was thrilled to find TSR. I can't say my choices are based on anything specific, but since I can't visit, I rely a lot on other users.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I only signed on to TSR after I've got my offers.
Only joined TSR once I was at uni - wasn't really on my radar before that. I think TSR would have made me a nervous wreck about applying to Oxford had I been on here when applying, so I'm glad I joined post-uni :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by clh_hilary
No. I only signed on to TSR after I've got my offers.

I did the same but I have since realised I got help from study help for final year of a level. This may have made the difference of a grade and me making my firm choice. :yep:
No, as I only joined to find out views on a language course I planned.
I made a thread asking for advice from people about which uni I should firm, they all answered Warwick, I decided to go to Sheffield instead. Thankfully it worked out and although I would've had better prospects at Warwick I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the course and as a result, would've dropped out. So yeah, always go with your gut I'd say.

Other than that, the PS checking service is awesome.
I found tsr really helpful for applying to uni!

I probably posted 3 threads at least after my AS results asking about what my chances were of getting into my higher targeted unis and whether year in industries were as good as people suggest. I also lurked on most of the official application threads and got to talk to a few people who went to offer days from on here. i also used the personal statement library to get an idea of what to put in my personal statement. :smile:
Original post by leinad2012
I found tsr really helpful for applying to uni!

I probably posted 3 threads at least after my AS results asking about what my chances were of getting into my higher targeted unis and whether year in industries were as good as people suggest. I also lurked on most of the official application threads and got to talk to a few people who went to offer days from on here. i also used the personal statement library to get an idea of what to put in my personal statement. :smile:

Awesome. What uni did you end up going or applying to?
No . Just got tips .

Posted from TSR iPad
Original post by Eternity Flame
No . Just got tips .

Posted from TSR iPad

What type of tips did you get?
Original post by Motorbiker
Awesome. What uni did you end up going or applying to?

ATM got an offer at LSE to do economics (provided I meet the offer!) If not then surrey is my insurance, but I also got an offer from UCL and I'd definitely say that a big reason why was because of all the resources you can get on tsr like the personal statements!
Original post by Motorbiker
I only signed up to TSR after an open day at a university that i'd already decided i wanted to go to...

But lots of people sign up during As levels/GCSEs and ask TSR where they should go and why and use the information on the uni profiles on here to help.

I'd be interested to hear your stories in if TSR influenced where you ended up and how?

Did you get personal statement advice?
Did you come on results day and talk to our highly trained UCAS advisers?
Did you start a thread on "where should i study X?"?

TSR taught me that the only universities worth going to are Oxbridge,LSE,Ivies,Stanford,MIT.
Original post by leinad2012
ATM got an offer at LSE to do economics (provided I meet the offer!) If not then surrey is my insurance, but I also got an offer from UCL and I'd definitely say that a big reason why was because of all the resources you can get on tsr like the personal statements!

What's the offers and what're you thinking you will get?

Also, we have a new personal statement builder tool on here now as well which walks you through the steps of making a PS.
It helped me revise for my A-levels and which uni to firm and Insurance and prepared me for my graduate scheme interview so yea helped me tons
Actually, I had offers from all the universities I applied to. I was debating between living in the City, where I wanted to build my career, or in the country, which would take me completely out of my element and would not allow me to network so easily.

I chose London and some of the TSR users did caution me and gave me tips which helped and freaked the crap out of me, but I had already known I wanted in. It was a no brainer.
Reply 19
Original post by HeavyTeddy
I made a thread asking for advice from people about which uni I should firm, they all answered Warwick, I decided to go to Sheffield instead. Thankfully it worked out and although I would've had better prospects at Warwick I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the course and as a result, would've dropped out. So yeah, always go with your gut I'd say.

Other than that, the PS checking service is awesome.

This is completely irrelevant to the thread, but I actually just spent a year studying at Warwick and hated it so I dropped out. In September, I will be starting at Sheffield! I can't wait :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest