What is,
0 multiplies ∞.
0 multiplies -∞.
∞ divides -∞.
∞ divides ∞.
-∞ minus ∞.
∞ minus ∞.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are no answers to any of these questions.

Infinity isn't a number.
The relationship has been strained for some time now.
Reply 3
If you use the extended real line (which included both - and + infinity), then the answers are

undefined
undefined
undefined
undefined
Does anyone know what 0 divided by 0 is? It's one of those philosophical questions which I tend to overthink for! My Maths teacher was sure it was 1, but how can that be?
Reply 5
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
Does anyone know what 0 divided by 0 is? It's one of those philosophical questions which I tend to overthink for! My Maths teacher was sure it was 1, but how can that be?

1 = 0/0 = (2*0)/0 = 2*(0/0) = 2*1 = 2

If you try and make 0/0 equal to a number then this leads to contradictions like the one above.

In almost all cases (unless perhaps you're using some unusual number system), 0/0 is undefined.
Reply 6
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar

This is not a philosophical question, it is a mathemtaical one and the answer is that it doesn't even make sense since division os not defined for denominator being 0. It's like asking what table tot he power of grape fruit is, it just doesn't make sense to even talk about it.
Reply 7
Original post by Khallil
Aren't they all indeterminate forms?

When you consider them as limits, then yes (because they can be anytrhing, including undefined), but when considered as elements of the extended real line (as used in measure theory) they are as I said.
Tried it, but my computer just keeps coming up with NaN :rolleyes:
math error

Quick Reply

Latest