The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greysanatomi
Dont uni's who put you on the wait list have to reply by the May 7th deadline?

If you are on the wait list, it comes up as a rejection on UCAS, so there is no deadline! I guess they could call you one day before term starts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleDonkey
If you are on the wait list, it comes up as a rejection on UCAS, so there is no deadline! I guess they could call you one day before term starts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer from soton! :biggrin: On the wait list for leicester which is my only other uni left - they haven't sent the wait list through as a rejection, so I guess they must have to reply by 7th may.
I have to choose between Southampton and Bristol - has anyone got any advice? anyone in the same position?

I'll appreciate any help!
Hey guys, a little quiet on the thread. Anyone decided to decline their Southampton Offer, some of us on the waiting list are trying to calculate our chances, if that is even at all possible. Congrats to Offer holders.
I put my offer as my insurance choice so if I get AAA I will be going to my firm choice. So theres one space :smile:
Original post by cestlavie10
I put my offer as my insurance choice so if I get AAA I will be going to my firm choice. So theres one space :smile:

I'm curious - what offer did Southampton give you, then?
Original post by 9910224
I'm curious - what offer did Southampton give you, then?

Sorry if I didn't make this clear. They gave me an offer of AAA. By saying that "if I get AAA" I meant that I'll be accepting my firm, but I insured Soton so that if I get AAB/A*AB/etc I'll have 2 medical schools to ring up and beg for a place!
Original post by cestlavie10
Sorry if I didn't make this clear. They gave me an offer of AAA. By saying that "if I get AAA" I meant that I'll be accepting my firm, but I insured Soton so that if I get AAB/A*AB/etc I'll have 2 medical schools to ring up and beg for a place!

No worries, I was just curious. Not really my business anyhow. :colondollar:

Good strategy, though! :biggrin:
Hi guys

congrats on the offers. I am applying for next year and just wondered what the ukcat cut off was this year. I am a grad.

Thanks u x
Where are the offer holders applying for accommodation?😊
Original post by michellem3
Hi guys

congrats on the offers. I am applying for next year and just wondered what the ukcat cut off was this year. I am a grad.

Thanks u x

This data won't be available until the end of the cycle.
Reply 791
Original post by Joshi213
Can somebody help me out with accommodation please? It's really confusing for me :frown:

Where do most medics stay? To be honest I want to stay where there's a good mix of medics and people from other courses

So I'm sure that I should put Glen Eyre first because it's the closest and all that..
After that I was thinking Wessex?

But after those two I'm just really confused as to what to put next...

I thought Archers but it seems really far away?

And what about City Gateway? Is there any idea as to what it might be like?

Help would be really appreciated! Thanks :smile:

I've got an offer for med and I've applied for Wessex, but that's only because buses seem more convenient there to the hospital..at the moment my second choice is Glen and 3rd choice Wessex again (the first 2 are self catered). Don't really want to put anything else down, Glen/Wessex seem the best for first years and socialness

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can somebody help me out with accommodation please? It's really confusing for me :frown:

Where do most medics stay? To be honest I want to stay where there's a good mix of medics and people from other courses

So I'm sure that I should put Glen Eyre first because it's the closest and all that..
After that I was thinking Wessex?

But after those two I'm just really confused as to what to put next...

I thought Archers but it seems really far away?

And what about City Gateway? Is there any idea as to what it might be like?

Help would be really appreciated! Thanks :smile:

It really won't make a huge difference to be honest! Archers is just as far as Glen to the hospital, it's just on a different route.

Glen: Quiet, newer, green. Far from shops and entertainment, close to campus.
Wessex: More social, nearer sports faciltiies, near to campus, good for getting the bus. Close to night life

City Gateway: Basically next door to Wessex, brand new, shops and night life not massively far. Near campus

Archers: Great for making close friends. Really close to town and the station. A bit further from campus but you'll get a bus pass.

Essentially though, everyone ends up happy where they are and it's only for like, 8 months. Then most people move out and into housing.

The system is really complex and a lot of people won't end up wit their first or even second choice. Essentially everyone makes the best of wherever they are, wherever that is.

Original post by ja1
I've got an offer for med and I've applied for Wessex, but that's only because buses seem more convenient there to the hospital..at the moment my second choice is Glen and 3rd choice Wessex again (the first 2 are self catered). Don't really want to put anything else down, Glen/Wessex seem the best for first years and socialness

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with everything except the last part. Halls are 99.9% first years, so all halls are geared towards first years. There isn't a halls better for first years, or second years etc because you don't tend to find any other year groups there!

As for being more/less social - Wessex has that name because there are more people to a flat. They're all still very social :yes:.

I don't think it really matters in the end. Most people just make the most of whatever they get. A few people move because it isn't what they wanted (you can apply to be re-allocated if a room becomes available) but these are definitely in the minority!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah thank you guys so much!
By what you've said and some other research (makes a bit more sense now haha) I'm gonna go with Wessex first then City then Glen Eyre and then Archers last. Seems like any which way I won't be making a bad choice haha

Roughly how far away (walk/bus) are these accommodations from the campus and from the hospital?

They're all on Google Maps. It is worth opening up a map of Southampton and having a look :yes:.
map.jpg
Is accommodation first come first serve?
Original post by medactuary
Is accommodation first come first serve?

Nope.
I've insured Southampton (so hopefully another space for someone on waiting list if I meet my firm.) But do I still need to apply for accommodation? Thanks
Original post by rachel479
I've insured Southampton (so hopefully another space for someone on waiting list if I meet my firm.) But do I still need to apply for accommodation? Thanks

I insured them and they asked me to apply for halls so I'm sure you'll get the email soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have any waiting List-ers heard from Southampton Admissions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending