The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Anyone thinking of applying to Southampton this year? Currently doing the BM5 course and am about to start my first clinical year so happy to answer any questions.

After bringing in interviews last year, they have finally got some data to show us:

The lowest UKCAT scores for those starting in 2014 were:

2800 (total) for School Leavers (A levels)
2500 (total) for mature non grads who were considered separately.

In total there were 1400+ applications, 457 interviews and 290 offers.

The interview will continue to be decided by UKCAT and will still consist of an individual panel interview based on your personal statement, and a group task.

The entry requirements can be found here

Good luck to those applying!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vickie89uk

This is the BM5 thread though it is quite empty at the moment!!
Original post by Neostigmine
Anyone thinking of applying to Southampton this year? Currently doing the BM5 course and am about to start my first clinical year so happy to answer any questions.

After bringing in interviews last year, they have finally got some data to show us:

The lowest UKCAT scores for those starting in 2014 were:

2800 (total) for School Leavers (A levels)
2500 (total) for mature non grads who were considered separately.

In total there were 1400+ applications, 457 interviews and 290 offers.

The interview will continue to be decided by UKCAT and will still consist of an individual panel interview based on your personal statement, and a group task.

The entry requirements can be found here

Good luck to those applying!

Whats that average. If im 25 am i a mature non grad?! Do you know how high ukcat is this year compared to last year?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Whats that average. If im 25 am i a mature non grad?! Do you know how high ukcat is this year compared to last year?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I dont quite follow your questions. The average what? If you're 25 then yes I believe you're a mature non-graduate.

And this year compared to last? We don't have the statistics from this year because people haven't applied yet... :P
Sorry I dont quite follow your questions. The average what? If you're 25 then yes I believe you're a mature non-graduate.

And this year compared to last? We don't have the statistics from this year because people haven't applied yet... :P

Good point i misread sorry. Average score 600/700 etc does this make sense. Got a migraine and an attention span of a leaf sorry .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good point i misread sorry. Average score 600/700 etc does this make sense. Got a migraine and an attention span of a leaf sorry .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the average section score is the total for mature non grads divided by 4... So it's 650.
Well the average section score is the total for mature non grads divided by 4... So it's 650.

Yeah i thought that initially but we now have situational judgement so was unsure if its still divide by 4 or if its 5

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i thought that initially but we now have situational judgement so was unsure if its still divide by 4 or if its 5

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Situational judgement is scored separately and you get one of four bands: band 1 being the best and band four being the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amyk89
Situational judgement is scored separately and you get one of four bands: band 1 being the best and band four being the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right! Okay :smile: Yeah thats the banding its not a score as such
Right! Okay :smile: Yeah thats the banding its not a score as such

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking of applying to Southampton for 2015 entry. Haven't done ukcat yet, in 3 weeks. But I guess I need to get like over 800 to kind of stand out? And how much work experience/ extra curriculars did you have when you applied?
Original post by MissC123
Thinking of applying to Southampton for 2015 entry. Haven't done ukcat yet, in 3 weeks. But I guess I need to get like over 800 to kind of stand out? And how much work experience/ extra curriculars did you have when you applied?

You just need to get high enough to get an interview rather than standing out. 2014 entry had a lowest interview score of 2800 but that doesn't mean it will be the same this year unfortunately.

Extracurriculars were few but lots of work experience. Then again, it's not the amount that matters but how you use it and what you learnt from it.
Reply 13
Hi!

So I'm considering applying. I got 2750 in ukcat, 12A*s at gcse and AAAB at as with the B in history.

Worth applying and how likely am I to be interviewed?
Original post by Bashur
Hi!

So I'm considering applying. I got 2750 in ukcat, 12A*s at gcse and AAAB at as with the B in history.

Worth applying and how likely am I to be interviewed?

You'll need predictions of AAAa (a at AS). Your GCSEs are fine. Your UKCAT would have been too low this year but that may change for those applying to start next Sept.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
You'll need predictions of AAAa (a at AS). Your GCSEs are fine. Your UKCAT would have been too low this year but that may change for those starting next Sept.

When will I know?
Original post by Bashur
When will I know?

Know if you've got an interview? They go out in December-March time usually :smile:
Reply 17
Know if you've got an interview? They go out in December-March time usually :smile:

I meant when will I know if my ukcat is good enough.
Original post by Bashur
I meant when will I know if my ukcat is good enough.

I think you need to think this through a little more :colondollar:

You'll know it was good enough if you get an interview.... how else can you possibly know? The interviews are based on the scores that apply.
(edited 9 years ago)
1. Everyone applies
2. Starting at the top score, uni gives out interviews
3. Continue down the scores until enough people qualify for offers
4. Find out the lowest UKCAT score that got an interview as an indication to others applying
5. Repeat.

Quick Reply

Latest