The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Arts or business?
Reply 2
Business. .. althought im not sure where art will take ya excepy bieng an artist.

I would also say business is sooooo popular its crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your right University is over rated these days. Despite there being a 12% rise in graduate jobs. I feel I have had the same experience as a graduate with no job prospects. I graduated from SOAS, Uni of London with Economics (2.1).

I think a higher apprenticeship would have definitely be a suitable route with no debt, but future career prospects. All in one!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
i think the education system needs to re-assessed. I am sure a lot of people with degrees are unemployed even after doing applications after applications. i know of people who have received 1st class degrees and they can not find a job. maybe its the degree someone chooses?
Unless you are going to study Medicine, Life Sciences or other sectors that you HAVE to have a degree in theres no point i'd say. You spend 4 years (or 3 if in England) getting a degree when someone who got an apprenticeship has 3 years work experience. I know i'd choose experience over a degree if it was something like business or arts etc. I'm studying Immunology and biochemistry in hopes to become a researcher. I have to go to uni for this, however some people in my family never went to uni and are earning loads and they had an apprenticeship. I'd have emailed possible future employers and asked them. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by EmmaHalley
Unless you are going to study Medicine, Life Sciences or other sectors that you HAVE to have a degree in theres no point i'd say. You spend 4 years (or 3 if in England) getting a degree when someone who got an apprenticeship has 3 years work experience. I know i'd choose experience over a degree if it was something like business or arts etc. I'm studying Immunology and biochemistry in hopes to become a researcher. I have to go to uni for this, however some people in my family never went to uni and are earning loads and they had an apprenticeship. I'd have emailed possible future employers and asked them. :smile:

some members of your family went for an apprenticeship ? and what are their current role and what company do they work for ?
Well I am going to uni to study maths. I'm not even thinking about what job I'm going to get I am just going to go because I love maths, that's why anyone should go. To study a subject that you really enjoy and learn more about it. Theres also the experience of being at uni and meeting new people. If you don't really like a subject then maybe you shouldn't go but it's most certainly not a waste of time and you are at a massive advantage over the people that didn't go.
Reply 8
Original post by crayolaguy
Well I am going to uni to study maths. I'm not even thinking about what job I'm going to get I am just going to go because I love maths, that's why anyone should go. To study a subject that you really enjoy and learn more about it. Theres also the experience of being at uni and meeting new people. If you don't really like a subject then maybe you shouldn't go but it's most certainly not a waste of time and you are at a massive advantage over the people that didn't go.

no doubt the experience is beautiful, meet all sorts of people and enjoy university life style. in career wise i think something should be done if you do go university i will really recommend someone to do a sandwich year which also gives you the mix of experiences. as for the maths yes of course maths is great there are many apprenticeships in accountancy and investment banking and they give you a qualification while your doing it.
Original post by zssr
no doubt the experience is beautiful, meet all sorts of people and enjoy university life style. in career wise i think something should be done if you do go university i will really recommend someone to do a sandwich year which also gives you the mix of experiences. as for the maths yes of course maths is great there are many apprenticeships in accountancy and investment banking and they give you a qualification while your doing it.

I want a degree and maybe even want to go further with maths, I don't know what job I want yet, and I don't really even care... I just want to learn more maths.
Reply 10
Original post by crayolaguy
I want a degree and maybe even want to go further with maths, I don't know what job I want yet, and I don't really even care... I just want to learn more maths.

that is really good keep following your passion.

psychometric testing will not be a problem for you then lol
Original post by zssr
Business. .. althought im not sure where art will take ya excepy bieng an artist.

I would also say business is sooooo popular its crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I like it when art grads make these threads.

At least you have a business degree. You might have to suffer a crap job for a while but the nearer you get the sharp end the better it'll serve you.
Reply 12
Original post by Stanley Winchest

lol...yh with business its always a struggle many end up in retail, something which makes me die inside lol... im trying to go for graduate schemes.

i actually studied politics
[QUOTE="zssr;48833961"]
Original post by Stanley Winchest

lol...yh with business its always a struggle many end up in retail, something which makes me die inside lol... im trying to go for graduate schemes.

i actually studied politics

I saw my time in retail as punishment for not doing well enough in school so it must be horrific being a business graduate in retail.

What sort of work would you be looking for with as a politics grad?
It just seems like a scam these days, especially with the inflated tuition fees.
Reply 15
Original post by bat$h!tcrazy
It just seems like a scam these days, especially with the inflated tuition fees.

whats a scam? university of apprenticeships ?
Trust me a degree in a decent subject isn't useless. I have just completed an apprenticeship but have decided to quit my job and go uni. Yes, I got paid a decent amount and got experience but I feel I would be stuck in the same position for decades with little chance of ever progressing. A degree gives you options.

Some guy just got a job at my place, 2:2 in mechanical engineering from de montfort, so poor grade in a good degree from a crappy uni, he has just walked in right at the top, has a company car, started on above 30k I believe and is having his masters paid for. He is also being sent abroad regularly to Switzerland and Austria for specific training. Probably has the potential to go a lot further with experience.

Meanwhile I did an apprenticeship and have a crappy boring job with crappy hours and semi decent pay and low career progression. I am limited in where and what I can do because my training was in a really specialized field so I can't really bring any useful skills to other companies.

Gonna work hard at uni and give it a real go. Should've done it a long time ago but we all make mistakes. Admittedly this is my own (limited) experience but apprenticeships aren't all they're cracked up to be for 99% of people and would suggest to anyone that they should take their education as far as possible because I've seen what the workplace is like if your stuck with crappy qualifications.
Original post by zssr
whats a scam? university of apprenticeships ?

Sorry, I meant to say that University's a scam. I pay close to Β£13,000 a year, and don't feel like I'm getting much in return.
Although it seems the UK job market is changing. But what about career prospects in other countries? Perhaps it be more valued elsewhere where there is a demand for graduates.
If youre gonna go to university and not work whilst youre doing your degree you might aswell not go to uni.

If you have no experience whatsoever youll be starting from the bottom regardless.

Latest