The Student Room Group

Burnt my finger at my job, what are my rights?

So I was at work (McDonalds) and I was on fries. I did say I am not feeling well and if I could my station but they wouldn't allow me to. So I was pulling a hash out of the hot oil and someone pushed past me and my fingers went into the burning hot oil. They are now full of blisters and are purple. After BEGGING to let me go home, I was allowed. My dad said I can get a sick note from the doctors and and get atleast a fortnight off, since it's hugely swollen and is blistered all over. Does anyone know my rights at this point? Must I go in or can I get a note and still get paid for not being able to work.

I am part time - student and I am 18.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

See a solicitor immediately.
Get a doctors note and send it either to lemaca or your store depending if you're at a franchisee. I burnt my arm with a fry basket whilst on fries, which has now permanently scarred, and I didn't get to go home :/ Although it didn't hurt that much and I could still work perfectly fine, but I digress.
Long story short, ask your manager where you need to send the sick note because you should legally get a certain amount of days a year as sick pay anyway, and the fry station is a bitch.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Oh my God, that's horrible :frown: Sorry to hear that xo

Go and see the doctor ASAP if you haven't already. Both for medical care and so you can get a doctor's note. I'd pop into A & E if you can't see your GP tomorrow at the latest - they are meant to deal with things like this.

Afterwards, I'd suggest your local Citizens Advice Bureau (Google it) :smile:
This is worth a lot in financial compensation :wink:
Original post by Old_Simon

Not if you've read the contract they made us sign. As long as precautions were taken to avoid this, which there always are, then it was just an accident. Meaning the payout amounts to squat.

doubtful
Original post by All-rounder
Not if you've read the contract they made us sign. As long as precautions were taken to avoid this, which there always are, then it was just an accident. Meaning the payout amounts to squat.

Not true. That contract will not stand up in a court of law. See a solicitor and they will pay up before it goes to a court. Maybe a thousand pounds ?
Not true. That contract will not stand up in a court of law. See a solicitor and they will pay up before it goes to a court. Maybe a thousand pounds ?

Dude, I do Tort Law. There was no proven case of negligence, meaning it wouldnt stand up in any court

Original post by All-rounder
Dude, I do Tort Law. There was no proven case of negligence, meaning it wouldnt stand up in any court

Ridiculous.
Original post by Utterly-confused
So I was at work (McDonalds) and I was on fries. I did say I am not feeling well and if I could my station but they wouldn't allow me to. So I was pulling a hash out of the hot oil and someone pushed past me and my fingers went into the burning hot oil. They are now full of blisters and are purple. After BEGGING to let me go home, I was allowed. My dad said I can get a sick note from the doctors and and get atleast a fortnight off, since it's hugely swollen and is blistered all over. Does anyone know my rights at this point? Must I go in or can I get a note and still get paid for not being able to work.

I am part time - student and I am 18.

Thanks!

Did you fill in an accident form?
Original post by Mad Vlad
Did you fill in an accident form?

Hi, I didn't know we had one until the cleaner told me. My manager said he will fill it out for me and he doesn't need me to sign anything, just that he will sort it out himself.

I am not familiar with this, so?

I have huge blisters on my fingers and it's got red and purple marks all over. I am typing with one finger as we speak.

I don't want to sue or get compensation, I just want to not go to work for a couple of weeks so this heals but still get paid as my dad said I can?
Original post by Dehydrated
Oh my God, that's horrible :frown: Sorry to hear that xo

Go and see the doctor ASAP if you haven't already. Both for medical care and so you can get a doctor's note. I'd pop into A & E if you can't see your GP tomorrow at the latest - they are meant to deal with things like this.

Afterwards, I'd suggest your local Citizens Advice Bureau (Google it) :smile:

Please don't do that unless you're desperate for help with the injury rather than time off work. That's not really the point of A&E.
Original post by Neostigmine
Please don't do that unless you're desperate for help with the injury rather than time off work. That's not really the point of A&E.

That's what I meant.

Regardless of how OP wants to proceed legally, she needs to see a doctor ASAP. Hot oil burns are no small thing.
Original post by Utterly-confused
Hi, I didn't know we had one until the cleaner told me. My manager said he will fill it out for me and he doesn't need me to sign anything, just that he will sort it out himself.

I am not familiar with this, so?

I have huge blisters on my fingers and it's got red and purple marks all over. I am typing with one finger as we speak.

I don't want to sue or get compensation, I just want to not go to work for a couple of weeks so this heals but still get paid as my dad said I can?

Payment is at the discretion of the management. Having an accident at work doesn't entitle you to being paid if that's not the policy.

I'd like to clarify some points here.

Firstly, you say that you were removing a hash brown from the fryer. Were you wearing appropriate personal protective equipment? Was this task being performed as prescribed by your employer? You mentioned that the colleague bumped in to you - how did you end up with your hand in the fryer itself? Can you provide more detail here, please?

Secondly, you say that you were "BEGGING" your manager to let you go home, is this really true? It sounds like you were having to be extremely persuasive to allow them to let you leave the premises.

Thirdly, what, if any first aid was administered? Have you been to a walk-in centre about the burn?

From what you have described, you are not fit to work. Your doctor will prescribe treatment and sign you off. As it was caused by an accident at work and in all likelihood, you won't be returning for at least seven days, this will need to be reported by your employer as what's called a RIDDOR reportable incident, so your employer should be taking this very seriously.
Payment is at the discretion of the management. Having an accident at work doesn't entitle you to being paid if that's not the policy.

Firstly, you say that you were removing a hash brown from the fryer. Were you wearing appropriate personal protective equipment? Was this task being performed as prescribed by your employer? You mentioned that the colleague bumped in to you - how did you end up with your hand in the fryer itself? Can you provide more detail here, please?

Secondly, you say that you were "BEGGING" your manager to let you go home, is this really true? It sounds like you were having to be extremely persuasive to allow them to let you leave the premises.

Thirdly, what, if any first aid was administered? Have you been to a walk-in centre about the burn?

From what you have described, you are not fit to work. Your doctor will prescribe treatment and sign you off. As it was caused by an accident at work and in all likelihood, you won't be returning for at least seven days, this will need to be reported by your employer as what's called a RIDDOR reportable incident, so your employer should be taking this very seriously.

This is helpful thank you. It is clear the employer is also in breach of the RIDDOR requirements. In a confined space if a slight nudge can cause a person to plunge their hand into boiling fat the employer is clearly at fault. The OP might well have life long scarring. Compensation is clearly required.
This is helpful thank you. It is clear the employer is also in breach of the RIDDOR requirements. In a confined space if a slight nudge can cause a person to plunge their hand into boiling fat the employer is clearly at fault. The OP might well have life long scarring. Compensation is clearly required.

Are you an ambulance-chasing lawyer? There's too much presumption here. We do not understand the facts. The employer hasn't breached any RIDDOR reporting requirements - they have completed an accident form by the sounds of it, they have 15 days to report it to the HSE, if it even needs reporting under RIDDOR in the first place. McDonalds is a massive chain with tried and tested processes. The reason I have asked the questions is to ascertain whether the OP was doing something they shouldn't have been doing, or was performing a task unsafely. It strikes me as being a little odd that a bump could cause her hand to come into contact with the oil unless her hands were already close to it.

The employer is not "clearly at fault" here. We do not know whether the employer had done anything that could be considered negligent, so it's worth bearing this in mind before calling Injury Lawyers 4 U on behalf of the OP. :rolleyes:
Are you an ambulance-chasing lawyer? There's too much presumption here. We do not understand the facts. The employer hasn't breached any RIDDOR reporting requirements - they have completed an accident form by the sounds of it, they have 15 days to report it to the HSE, if it even needs reporting under RIDDOR in the first place. McDonalds is a massive chain with tried and tested processes. The reason I have asked the questions is to ascertain whether the OP was doing something they shouldn't have been doing, or was performing a task unsafely. It strikes me as being a little odd that a bump could cause her hand to come into contact with the oil unless her hands were already close to it.

The employer is not "clearly at fault" here. We do not know whether the employer had done anything that could be considered negligent, so it's worth bearing this in mind before calling Injury Lawyers 4 U on behalf of the OP. :rolleyes:

Well you are right. But we know the key fact. The employer operates a process which has permitted an employee to sustain serious burns. Prima facie they are liable. The same company paid substantial damages to a woman who scalded her crotch with scalding coffee.

PS.Negligence does not generally consist of doing anything. It often consists of not doing something with foreseeable consequences. (as you know).
(edited 9 years ago)

If anyone fancies seeing the damage on my hand, then go for it. It's not small, it's going to take time to heal.

I am going to see my doctor.

My manager had 9 people call in sick and didn't want me to leave. Ontop of that, he wasn't taking my burn seriously and told me to continue on fries.

I spoke to my business manager and he agreed to let me go home.

I was on fries, I had followed procedures, I had was picking up a hash which fell into the fryer with the tongs provided. Our layout has changed in the store, so it's even more squashed. Someone pushed past while I was picking up the hash with the tong, the tong fell in and my fingers dipped in.

This isn't even about money.

I just want time off to heal.

I was on fries/hash, I had followed procedures, I had was picking up a hash which fell into the fryer with the tongs provided. Our layout has changed in the store, so it's even more squashed. Someone pushed past while I was picking up the hash with the tong, the tong fell in and my fingers dipped in.

So no, I am not at fault either.

I wouldn't purposely burn myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending