The Student Room Group

Skinnyfat old guy gets fit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Forum User
Ugh, advice needed.

I woke up this morning feeling like ****. My knee was really painful from this MCL sprain (not tear as I said above). My lower back was killing me for some reason and I just felt really weak, even after eating breakfast and waiting one hour. I decided to go to the gym anyway - is it more important to try to stick to the program or is it better to just leave it till tomorrow if you aren't feeling it?

Squats 67.5kg 5x5 PB - despite the knee and lower back pain I managed to get the target weight on these. Then it all goes wrong.

Bench press 50kg 1x5 FAIL - did get the last rep up but I was about half a second from squashing myself with the bar and knew I couldn't do one more rep let alone four more sets. 47.5kg 1x3 - just felt hopelessly weak on the third rep, might have been able to finish my set but couldn't have done three more sets. Walked out of the gym at this point, despite not having done five sets of BP and with bent over rows, shrugs, triceps, cable-pull through, and biceps still to do. I couldn't even face lifting a 1.25kg weight at this point let alone doing six more exercises.

Should I have just kept lowering the weight on the BP until I could do five sets, and then carry on with the workout? Not really sure what to do now, I want to finish Workout A so should I just start again with the bench press tonight or tomorrow morning or whenever I feel better? Also thinking about switching to dumbbell bench press as someone suggested, half the reason I gave up on bench press was mental because with no spotter I know if I can't make the rep I am totally ****ed.

Ah, sucks that you're not feeling great. It happens though.

What I think is important is that you don't excuse yourself from actually going to the gym and doing some exercise. If you're not feeling with it you can just do some light reps and lessen the intensity. Even if it's just an empty bar bell, I don't think it matters, since what is most important in my mind is that you don't risk breaking your habit. If you miss going to the gym once or twice, it can be really hard to get back into the routine. If you accept one excuse, it's a slippery slope to accepting more of them.

You're not going to improve much on a day like that anyway, so take it easy and so long as you do something and not nothing, you're staying on path to your goals.
Yeah, I'll go back tonight to finish up the workout. And I'll work on some tris and chest isolations before next workout A, really don't want to have to reset weight after like four workouts...
1) if it hurts, don't do it. This is from my current residing place at snap city
2) Don't reset it even if you fail bench next time
3) learn how to fail a bench press without a spotter
4) go get some sleep
5) DB bench is goat

We all have bad days its how you bounce back that counts :smile:

Edit: Buy a foam roller as well! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
1) if it hurts, don't do it. This is from my current residing place at snap city
2) Don't reset it even if you fail bench next time
3) learn how to fail a bench press without a spotter
4) go get some sleep
5) DB bench is goat

We all have bad days its how you bounce back that counts :smile:

Edit: Buy a foam roller as well! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for tips. I only did the squats because they don't actually hurt my knees at all. My knees hurt is I change direction, or apply any kind of twisting to them, and a bit if I try and hyperextend them, but for normal bending they are fine. That said I should probably rest them a bit to repair the mcl. If it was an ACL sprain I think it would be impossible to squat. The lower back ached a little doing squats, but it's aching a little sitting in my chair. I think it only hurts because I'm not keeping my core tight enough, so I end up bending forward a couple of degrees on the way up :smile:

I might switch to DB Bench. Any idea what weight I should start with, given that I managed 47.5kg 5x5 on BB bench last time? I assume it's less than simply '24kg per arm'.

Sleep is fine - I always get my eight hours in.

Have been told not to foam roll lower back, and don't think foam roll will help with a cruciate ligament strain. But I should use it anyway :smile:
24th August Workout B - 85.80kg

Squat 70kg 5x5 PB
Deadlift 95kg 1x5 PB
Overhead press 30kg 4x5 1x9 - extra reps as can't do the next weight yet!
Bent over rows 50kg 5x5
Close grip bench press 40kg 3x8
Crunches 64kg 3x10
Incline curl 10kg 2x10, 1x16 - extra reps as next dumbbells are 12.5kg...
Thanks for tips. I only did the squats because they don't actually hurt my knees at all. My knees hurt is I change direction, or apply any kind of twisting to them, and a bit if I try and hyperextend them, but for normal bending they are fine. That said I should probably rest them a bit to repair the mcl. If it was an ACL sprain I think it would be impossible to squat. The lower back ached a little doing squats, but it's aching a little sitting in my chair. I think it only hurts because I'm not keeping my core tight enough, so I end up bending forward a couple of degrees on the way up :smile:

I might switch to DB Bench. Any idea what weight I should start with, given that I managed 47.5kg 5x5 on BB bench last time? I assume it's less than simply '24kg per arm'.

Have been told not to foam roll lower back, and don't think foam roll will help with a cruciate ligament strain. But I should use it anyway :smile:

youll probably start on 16s or so because the weight will be shaking in your hands.

Just be careful man, knees are another precious thing...

Lower back - is it muscular? If so my foam roller will improve your life :tongue: Tbh foam rollers should be used by everyone. Thoracic spine, glutes, hamstrings rolling will improve it :smile:

When I moved from 40kg Dbs 5x5 - barbell my barbell bench was 85kg for 5 but I didn't know the form and my grip was too narrow so I was probs stronger.
I'd start with the 18's or 20s :smile:

I suggested it for your back lol :tongue:

I suggested it for your back lol :tongue:

Heh, if I google 'foam roll lower back' two of the first three links say, whatever you do, don't foam roll your lower back :smile:

I'm not sure what it is, it's not a dull ache but a pain if I sit in the wrong position, or move my back to a new angle. I think I got it from deadlifting with questionable form.
Heh, if I google 'foam roll lower back' two of the first three links say, whatever you do, don't foam roll your lower back :smile:

I'm not sure what it is, it's not a dull ache but a pain if I sit in the wrong position, or move my back to a new angle. I think I got it from deadlifting with questionable form.

I know hence I didnt say to foam roll your lower back. Foam rolling what I suggested (thoracic spine, glutes, hamstrings) will ease your fascial tension on your lower back and hence may well ease your pain if not eradicate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know hence I didnt say to foam roll your lower back. Foam rolling what I suggested (thoracic spine, glutes, hamstrings) will ease your fascial tension on your lower back and hence may well ease your pain if not eradicate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, gotcha! I'll try that today.
August 27th

Felt like **** all week but didn't want to keep skipping the gym so I went and did a bit.

Squats 72.5kg 3x5 - weight PB but not a 5x5 so not counting it
Bench press 47.5kg 3x5
Bent over rows 55kg 5x5
Ab crunches 59kg 3x10

Also did some rowing.
Reply 71
How come you're feeling ****?
Original post by miser
How come you're feeling ****?

Not sure, to be honest. Part of it is my knee, it's quite painful all day, really swollen and even hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in. And when you know your workout starts with squats, every time you go, that makes it hard to look forward to going to the gym. Another part is probably my diet, I eat **** like sausage rolls, pizza, pork pies, and this last week I've been really bloated and uncomfortable. Obviously that bit is easily fixable, in theory. In practice I've been trying to eat healthier for about 15 years :smile:

Anyway I went to the gym today and did the following.

Squats - 75kg 3x5 - PB for the 3x5. Couldn't face two more sets with my knee. I think I will stay at this weight for a while anyway, it's getting hard to keep my chest up, perhaps I need to work on my core strength more. Also my knees are coming in at the bottom, making me look bow-legged. It even looks dangerous. I need to work on that.

Deadlift - 100kg 1x5 PB. A milestone of sorts, I suppose, although not a very impressive one. Still clearly nowhere near my deadlift max as felt pretty easy but resisted the urge to add more weight to the bar and go again.

Press - 30kg 3x5 - time to move the weight up to 32.5kg

Also did some bent over rows, CGBP, triceps, biceps, crunches, etc but can't be bothered recording those accessory exercises :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Today I did

Bench 47.5kg 5x5 - felt much better than last time I tried it, will have another go at 50kg 5x5 next time I do workout A.

I'm not squatting because I want to give my knee chance to heal, its been getting worse for about 1.5 months, need to leave it alone for a bit. I will keep doing all the other exercises, even deadlifts although they involve knees, but squats are by far the most painful for me.

I also did the other exercises in workout A apart from squats. From now on I'm just going to record my Deadlift, Bench, Overhead Press, and Squat weights. Doubt anyone cares how much I'm curling :smile:

Next week I'm going to clean up my diet a lot, and cut out crap like crisps, sausage rolls, pizza and pork pies!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm, so the diet clean up didn't happen, and if anything it's gone backwards. I also managed to skip one workout last week, and didn't record the other.

Today I went to the gym and weighed in at 87.02kg - definitely need to get back under 86kg asap, I hate weighing this much.

Squats - N/A - going to doctors' on Wednesday to get my knee looked at, probably will just get referred to physio but maybe I'll need an MRI or something.
Deadlift - 70kg x 5, 90kg x 3, 100kg x 1, 105kg x 5 PB - still seems really easy, again had to resist the urge to add some more weight and go again.
Close Grip Bench Press - 40kg x 3 x 8
Overhead press 35kg x 5, 30kg x 4 x 5 - 35kg was too much so I dropped down to my standard weight. The reason I jumped to 35kg is that my gym has preset bars every 5kg to 50kg, thought I'd try and use those, feel like a bit of an idiot with an Olympic bar with 12.5kg on it. But I suppose a 16% jump in weight is too much too, so it's going to have to be 32.5kg to improve.

Also did some rows, bicep curls, crunches, lat pulldowns and went on the elliptical for 50kcal for no discernible reason.
Forgot to update this on Weds. Still not squatting.

Deadlift 70kg x 5, 90kg x 3, 100kg x 1, 110kg x 5 PB - form wasn't really good so might stay here a couple of sessions. I think the issue is that my core isn't strong enough to keep my chest up through the drive, so what ends up happening is that I start just moving my legs, then end up straight leg deadlifting the weight off the floor!

Then tried 130kg x 1 but couldn't get it even off the floor, surprised me that, thought if I could do 110 x 5 I would easily be able to do 130 x 1. Perhaps I can but the workset had tired me out too much.

Bench - 50kg x 5, nearly failed last rep again. 45kg x 4 x 5. Not sure why I find 50kg so difficult. Will keep trying to beat it.

Also did the usual accessory exercises.
Forgot to update this again.

Overhead press 35kg x 5 x 5 PB - finally - 5th rep on a couple of the sets was quite tough, might have cheated one rep by using my back to drive the bar, but I'm counting it. Now I'll stay here until I can lift it easily.

Also did some other stuff but no exciting PBs. Going to attempt a deadlift PB tomorrow morning :smile:

Starting a postgrad course at UCL next week and they have a nice weightlifting society which I'm looking forward to joining.
(edited 9 years ago)
Forgot to update this again.

Overhead press 35kg x 5 x 5 PB - finally - 5th rep on a couple of the sets was quite tough, might have cheated one rep by using my back to drive the bar, but I'm counting it. Now I'll stay here until I can lift it easily.

Also did some other stuff but no exciting PBs.

Going to attempt a deadlift PB tomorrow morning :smile:

Using your back is fine. If you're keeping your back perfectly vertical then you're doing it sub-optimally.

This is a good instructional video.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
Using your back is fine. If you're keeping your back perfectly horizontal then you're doing it sub-optimally.

I would like to see the overhead press with horizontal back :smile: Strong shoulder flexibility involved I would guess.
I would like to see the overhead press with horizontal back :smile: Strong shoulder flexibility involved I would guess.

but with a bar :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest