The Student Room Group

Working on saturday nights

I work on friday and saturday nights at a hotel, and I hate hate working on these days, I'm gonna ask my manager to swap shifts for some other day for my saturday shift, but I was wondering what is the best excuse to use to tell him I cant work this shift? I can't say I have uni today or tomorrow because its the weekend?

Suggestions welcome?
Reply 1
You would like the opportunity to go out and get ****ed.

That should work OP
Reply 2
Say you have to look after an elderly relative.
Original post by iamu

That should work OP

haha I know thats what they would think, but I hate working on that night I cover the reception and as I'm the only staff member I have to cater to the people at the bar, they're mostly drunk and sometimes get out of hand

Original post by 8472
Say you have to look after an elderly relative.
hmm thats a decent one, but not something I can say every week, I need an excuse that will make me unavailable every saturday night
Reply 4
Original post by daydreamer93

hmm thats a decent one, but not something I can say every week, I need an excuse that will make me unavailable every saturday night

Just say it is long term. I can't think of any others.
Original post by iamu

That should work OP

honesty is the best policy :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by daydreamer93
I work on friday and saturday nights at a hotel, and I hate hate working on these days, I'm gonna ask my manager to swap shifts for some other day for my saturday shift, but I was wondering what is the best excuse to use to tell him I cant work this shift? I can't say I have uni today or tomorrow because its the weekend?

Suggestions welcome?

My suggestion is to buck up and stop moaning. Your lucky to have a job, work what you're told unless you literally can't do said shift.

I used to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday before my shifts got changed. Just do the job dude.
Reply 7
Original post by xmertic
My suggestion is to buck up and stop moaning. Your lucky to have a job, work what you're told unless you literally can't do said shift.

I used to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday before my shifts got changed. Just do the job dude.

Pretty much :teehee:
I wish it was that easy but I deal with drunks to much I don't mind working during the day its just working through the night till the morning. It gets busy especially on friday and saturday nights.
Reply 9
Just ask if there's any chance you could permanently swap the day for another, if you're asked why just say "personal reasons". The worst thing that will happen is that they will say no.

Quick Reply

Latest