The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth - Computer Graphics, Vision and Games Degree

Hey,

I'm planning on applying for uni in 2015 to do video game programming. I absolutely love the town of aberystwyth and I'd love to study there for my degree, the thing that puts me off are the below average scores on http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/....61% of people satisfied with the course? Pretty low percentage compared to others. Does anyone have any first hand experience of the course? I'd really love to go to aber but I need to also do the course that is going to help get a career afterwards.

Cheers
Original post by xleoanimusx
Hey,

I'm planning on applying for uni in 2015 to do video game programming. I absolutely love the town of aberystwyth and I'd love to study there for my degree, the thing that puts me off are the below average scores on http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/....61% of people satisfied with the course? Pretty low percentage compared to others. Does anyone have any first hand experience of the course? I'd really love to go to aber but I need to also do the course that is going to help get a career afterwards.

Cheers

Hi xleoanimusx,

Welcome to the Aberystwyth Forum :smile:

It's great to hear you are planning on applying to Aberystwyth! It is indeed a wonderful place to study... Although I don't have any first hand experience of the course I am a Computer Science Graduate, so perhaps I can help? I loved my degree in the Department. As the stats would suggest I really enjoyed the quality facilities (getting your own computer room is great) and knowledge of the staff was invaluable.

From the Uni Stats it seems that satisfaction has dropped due to Feedback. The University has invested over £100m in teaching and living environments. I believe around £3.5m of this has been spent on improving the teaching facilities and with this a big improvement in the whole feedback process, so I imagine this statistic will improve because of this investment, so I wouldn't let this worry you.

There is an Open Day on Saturday 13th September and another on Saturday 18th October. I would recommend you come along to ask a few questions to staff and students, as well as seeing the place: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/open-days/

I hope that helps a little bit.

James :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Cheers, I think I will come to an open day. In regards to Computer Science, how mathematically challenging is the degree? I'm not the best mathematician but I'm passionate about creative computing and using technology as a tool to make creative software. What kind of maths does computer science mainly require in general?
Cheers, I think I will come to an open day. In regards to Computer Science, how mathematically challenging is the degree? I'm not the best mathematician but I'm passionate about creative computing and using technology as a tool to make creative software. What kind of maths does computer science mainly require in general?

This is a great question. So great in fact I have just asked Computer Science to help me answer it... I'll be in touch as soon as I hear back from them.

Cheers,
James
Basically I'm trying to figure out whether to do a video game specific course or just computer science..cheers

Hi xleoanimusx,

I've heard back from a lecturer in Computer Science... This is her reply:

"The only requirement is GCSE maths. Won't kid you that more is useful but anything you need we'll teach you some degrees need more than others for instance vision but we don't expect anything but keenness to learn and basic maths"

I hope that helps..? Like I said, I would recommend coming up on an Open Day to figure out which course is right for you. :smile:

Cheers,
James
I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm actually going to apply at Aber as my first choice, to do Computer Science with Artifical Intelligence. Aberystwyth is a beautiful town and the course looks ideal. Can't wait!
I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm actually going to apply at Aber as my first choice, to do Computer Science with Artifical Intelligence. Aberystwyth is a beautiful town and the course looks ideal. Can't wait!

That is great to hear :smile: It is a great course! If you need any help or have any questions just let me know :smile:

James

Quick Reply

Latest