The Student Room Group

Help! University, Clearing and Results Day!

I'm going to try and make this as short as possible. Basically, I was planning on going to Newcastle University, my firm choice and my Insurance Choice was Manchester Met. I was hoping to study Psychology. A part of my offer with Newcastle was that I attend a Summer School on your subject strand. I soon realised that studying psychology at university was not what it was going to be. It was a lot of reading other peoples studies etc. I took ill during this time and was in hospital, it was like an epiphany but I knew that doing a psychology degree wasn't right for me, and it is daft to get myself in such debt.
I now know which degree I want to do based upon what I've always wanted to do with my life (help others). I don't exactly want to take a gap year, or do a year not doing anything. I really want to go to uni this year and I'm certain on my course choice as a lot has happened since this summer school.
I need to know all about clearing how to do it... how I'd reject my choices and what to do trying to get onto another course. I don't want this all to be a surprise on results day! The situation I am in right now is not ideal!
Original post by Cheskahb
I'm going to try and make this as short as possible. Basically, I was planning on going to Newcastle University, my firm choice and my Insurance Choice was Manchester Met. I was hoping to study Psychology. A part of my offer with Newcastle was that I attend a Summer School on your subject strand. I soon realised that studying psychology at university was not what it was going to be. It was a lot of reading other peoples studies etc. I took ill during this time and was in hospital, it was like an epiphany but I knew that doing a psychology degree wasn't right for me, and it is daft to get myself in such debt.
I now know which degree I want to do based upon what I've always wanted to do with my life (help others). I don't exactly want to take a gap year, or do a year not doing anything. I really want to go to uni this year and I'm certain on my course choice as a lot has happened since this summer school.
I need to know all about clearing how to do it... how I'd reject my choices and what to do trying to get onto another course. I don't want this all to be a surprise on results day! The situation I am in right now is not ideal!

If you are accepted by Newcastle or MM then you could contact them and ask to change course - that would really depend on your grades and on the demand for your new curse choice

If they say no then you would need to ask them to reject you - this can take some time and you cannot go into clearing until they have

You could ask them to reject you now - if they do then you could go straight into clearing - however I would be less likely to suggest this - Newcastle is a good university if you get in and can change courses that would probably be your best bet
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
If you are accepted by Newcastle or MM then you could contact them and ask to change course - that would really depend on your grades and on the demand for your new curse choice

If they say no then you would need to ask them to reject you - this can take some time and you cannot go into clearing until they have

You could ask them to reject you now - if they do then you could go straight into clearing - however I would be less likely to suggest this - Newcastle is a good university if you get in and can change courses that would probably be your best bet

Hi thank you for replying. Newcastle doesn't do the course I want to do now. I would like to do Nursing and they don't offer that there. As a part of my offer with Newcastle I needed a Grade B in GCSE Math, meaning I needed to wait another week. Do you think that they would reject me before that? Or should I wait and apply for adjustment as I'm pretty sure I met AAB, however I don't know a lot about adjustment! I am definitely getting stressed haha!
I would like to do Nursing !

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to get a nursing place through clearing - they are like gold dust
Reply 4
Hi thank you for replying. Newcastle doesn't do the course I want to do now. I would like to do Nursing and they don't offer that there. As a part of my offer with Newcastle I needed a Grade B in GCSE Math, meaning I needed to wait another week. Do you think that they would reject me before that? Or should I wait and apply for adjustment as I'm pretty sure I met AAB, however I don't know a lot about adjustment! I am definitely getting stressed haha!

Unless you can get the unis to reject you then the only way that you can get into clearing is by not meeting the grades. Which uni are you aiming for now?

To get into adjustment you have to exceed your offer so if you get AAA then you'll be able to go into adjustment and you might be able to get into Nursing that way.

It might be wise to drop the email that you want to go to an email and find out if there's any places left on the course and if they think that you'll be able to get in through adjustment or clearing.
I was at the partners summer school, may have seen you around haha! I would look through adjustment, although i could imagine nursing being quite hard to get into on results day
Reply 6
Original post by elt48
Unless you can get the unis to reject you then the only way that you can get into clearing is by not meeting the grades. Which uni are you aiming for now?

To get into adjustment you have to exceed your offer so if you get AAA then you'll be able to go into adjustment and you might be able to get into Nursing that way.

It might be wise to drop the email that you want to go to an email and find out if there's any places left on the course and if they think that you'll be able to get in through adjustment or clearing.

I've wrote down about 8 unis which have various courses to do with nursing and midwifery. If I'll have to take a gap year then it's not ideal but it's better than wasting money on course I don't want to do and won't enjoy meaning not good grades! And at the end of the year two teachers said I could get A* and one A. So I'm thinking that if all went well I'll get more than AAB, I'll take your advice and send them an email. Thank you for replying :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bazinga123!
I was at the partners summer school, may have seen you around haha! I would look through adjustment, although i could imagine nursing being quite hard to get into on results day

Did you enjoy summer school? I had an absolute nightmare during it haha! And I've seen quite a few people on here saying that they've gotten onto nursing through clearing but if I have to take a year out then it's not the end of the world!
Reply 8

Email UCAS about rejecting your current choices, and if you can do this you will then be able to apply to courses via UCAS Extra before your results come out. The only way you will enter clearing otherwise is if you fail to get the grades for your offers, and you can't enter adjustment until you get your grades, which is quite late.
Reply 9
Original post by lamyers1
Email UCAS about rejecting your current choices, and if you can do this you will then be able to apply to courses via UCAS Extra before your results come out. The only way you will enter clearing otherwise is if you fail to get the grades for your offers, and you can't enter adjustment until you get your grades, which is quite late.

Hi, I'll do a bit of research into UCAS extra because I know nothing about this! Thank you for your advice :smile:
I've wrote down about 8 unis which have various courses to do with nursing and midwifery. If I'll have to take a gap year then it's not ideal but it's better than wasting money on course I don't want to do and won't enjoy meaning not good grades! And at the end of the year two teachers said I could get A* and one A. So I'm thinking that if all went well I'll get more than AAB, I'll take your advice and send them an email. Thank you for replying :smile:

If you would rather tat a gap year than take up your place then I would recommend contacting both your firm & insurance NOW.

Explain the situation and that you would like to look for a place for Nursing via clearing.

They should both be able to arrange it so that on results day you are in Clearing as soon as it opens (so as soon as you have your results you will be able to start making official enquiries).

Prior to results day I would recommend contacting some nursing schools and explaining the situation (and your expected grades etc) and asking if they are likely to have any spaces available in Clearing.

While nursing is not common in clearing there are usually a few places available - but they will usually go to applicants who are local to a university as all nursing courses will want to interview you (even for a clearing place). Make sure you have the time and transport available to get to any interviews.

Do you know which nursing branch you're interested in? Child nursing places are like hens teeth but mental health nursing (which I'm guessing might be more up your street if you were looking at psych?) tends to be less popular so you might have a better chance for that.

Original post by lamyers1

UCAS have no power at this stage to make any changes - they have to be negotiated directly with the universities concerned. Extra closed on 2nd July - Clearing is open now for applicants with their results.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
If you would rather tat a gap year than take up your place then I would recommend contacting both your firm & insurance NOW.

Explain the situation and that you would like to look for a place for Nursing via clearing.

They should both be able to arrange it so that on results day you are in Clearing as soon as it opens (so as soon as you have your results you will be able to start making official enquiries).

Prior to results day I would recommend contacting some nursing schools and explaining the situation (and your expected grades etc) and asking if they are likely to have any spaces available in Clearing.

While nursing is not common in clearing there are usually a few places available - but they will usually go to applicants who are local to a university as all nursing courses will want to interview you (even for a clearing place). Make sure you have the time and transport available to get to any interviews.

Do you know which nursing branch you're interested in? Child nursing places are like hens teeth but mental health nursing (which I'm guessing might be more up your street if you were looking at psych?) tends to be less popular so you might have a better chance for that.

UCAS have no power at this stage to make any changes - they have to be negotiated directly with the universities concerned. Extra closed on 2nd July - Clearing is open now for applicants with their results.

Hi, thank you so much for your response, you seem to have a lot of knowledge! I will contact both universities saying the situation, I was very worried about them having to release me and that hassle!
I will contact the universities that I am interested in now, I don't want to move that far away from home so the universities are at tops a 2/3 hours away. I have all time available and transport isn't an issue, as I have a car and can easily get a train for further away.
This just gets worse because I was more interested in Child Nursing but interested in Midwifery too (I assume that, that would be even harder as I've known a few people be declined from all 5 choices. This is why a gap year seems to be looking like a sure outcome of this!)
Looking back I have no idea why I chose to do psychology as I had no idea what job I wanted to do after it.
Did you enjoy summer school? I had an absolute nightmare during it haha! And I've seen quite a few people on here saying that they've gotten onto nursing through clearing but if I have to take a year out then it's not the end of the world!

It was good I guess, better than i thought. Unsure whether I have passed though :/
Reply 13
It was good I guess, better than i thought. Unsure whether I have passed though :/

What subject did you do? Was it a project or an exam? Mine was a 3 hour exam.. I'm sure you will have passed! I don't think they want anyone to fail it!
What subject did you do? Was it a project or an exam? Mine was a 3 hour exam.. I'm sure you will have passed! I don't think they want anyone to fail it!

3 hour exam for psychology?! I did history so it was an essay. I was originally doing psychology until I changed my mind a few months ago. What kind of questions were in the exam?
Reply 15
3 hour exam for psychology?! I did history so it was an essay. I was originally doing psychology until I changed my mind a few months ago. What kind of questions were in the exam?

We had to conduct a study and then it was basically the write up but we had to have memorised loads of quotes and studies to put into it.. Had to create a results section too. It was so different from A-level. I wish that I had have changed my mind a few months ago and not now!:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending