The Student Room Group

Starting Sixth Form August/September 2014

I am going to he only sixth form college ( meaning its not in a school, and I know people but there is 1600 people in total ). By the way I am thinking of doing Geography, Law, Business, Sociology/Psychology.

1. Would it be a good idea to carry a small binder for each lesson/subject to school and leave it at school if they have lockers, then have 4 bigger binders at home, I was thinking 1 colour per lesson.

2.Is there such thing as being over prepared? Just that I am starting my stationary shopping now.

3. I am going to a catholic sixth form, is there anything I should try to avoid doing to offend? FYI, every single class room has a crucifix on the wall...

4. I need a backpack/rucksack that looks good, but has back support and plenty of space (I like purple and light blue)

5. There is a trip to China or New York, which do I choose? My deposit must be in by September when I start

6. I am finding it hard to choose between Sociology and Psychology, I did both on the taster day, I found Psychology quite boring, but I don't know if it was the teachers voice, but I felt that I enjoyed an understood Sociology better, any suggestions? (I do not want to do both together )

Khaliah :smile:
1) yes good plan to have larger files for storing notes at home. I use a notebook for all subjects and copy out my notes at home. Some people find it useful to have a laptop/tablet in class to make notes on and save them in files on there. Or you can scan in your notes, whatever works best for you.
2) nope being prepared is essential. Don't worry about it
3) I am sure most students there aren't catholic so just act normally, and even if they are, they probably won't be fundamentalist and will accept other religious views. Just try not to bring up controversial topics of conversation just in case e.g. evolution (that was a rubbish example :s)
4) I had a vans backpack :smile: it was good till I overloaded in and the zip broke but I know people who have had them for years and they've never broken. There are also those eastpak ones, mi-pac, roxy, herschel etc.
5) Well which is more educational? Which ones are your friends choosing? Price? Length of trip? Activities? Which one sounds better? etc. all things to consider
6) Well I haven't done either, but sociology is supposed to be easier and if you enjoy it more do that one. I am not sure but some people seem to think that psychology is a more highly-regarded subject, but i wouldn't take my word for it.
1) If you want. I just have one folder per subject that I carry around at all times - it's not a big *******.
2) You're not harming yourself by preparing, but there's only so much preparation you can do before it gets useless.
3) No idea! Just speak your mind in my opinion - if they're offended, that's their *******. Obviously don't be rude for the sake of it.
4) That's not a question? Functionality over Aesthetics, always.
5) China sounds better in my view, but I'm not going, you are. Nobody knows what you'd enjoy more than you do.
6) I haven't taken either, so I can't really judge.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
1) If you want. I just have one folder per subject that I carry around at all times - it's not a big *******.
2) You're not harming yourself by preparing, but there's only so much preparation you can do before it gets useless.
3) No idea! Just speak your mind in my opinion - if they're offended, that's their *******. Obviously don't be rude for the sake of it.
4) That's not a question? Functionality over Aesthetics, always.
5) China sounds better in my view, but I'm not going, you are. Nobody knows what you'd enjoy more than you do.
6) I haven't taken either, so I can't really judge.

Thanks, good honest advice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Spongebob0303
1) yes good plan to have larger files for storing notes at home. I use a notebook for all subjects and copy out my notes at home. Some people find it useful to have a laptop/tablet in class to make notes on and save them in files on there. Or you can scan in your notes, whatever works best for you.
2) nope being prepared is essential. Don't worry about it
3) I am sure most students there aren't catholic so just act normally, and even if they are, they probably won't be fundamentalist and will accept other religious views. Just try not to bring up controversial topics of conversation just in case e.g. evolution (that was a rubbish example :s)
4) I had a vans backpack :smile: it was good till I overloaded in and the zip broke but I know people who have had them for years and they've never broken. There are also those eastpak ones, mi-pac, roxy, herschel etc.
5) Well which is more educational? Which ones are your friends choosing? Price? Length of trip? Activities? Which one sounds better? etc. all things to consider
6) Well I haven't done either, but sociology is supposed to be easier and if you enjoy it more do that one. I am not sure but some people seem to think that psychology is a more highly-regarded subject, but i wouldn't take my word for it.

Thanks for that

Some people I know are choosing China, because the cost includes
sleeper train
flights
shanghai
Xi'an
Tienanmen square
terracotta warriors
travel insurance
hotels
food
childrens orphanage visit
visa

and plus, goods are cheaper, i guess because things are usually made in China, so have not tax or anything, I have been to New York on the other hand and I didnt really get to see much-not even lady liberty.... i went to times square for about 3 and a half hours, then got up 2 hours later to catch a flight, but this would be more expensive, although i dont have any information about New York yet, i just assumed this because it is a business district.
Well if you've already been to NY I would pick China plus you are less likely to be able to visit China again as its less of a tourist destination, especially the activities school plans to do with you.
You've had quite a few answers to this already but here goes...

1. A binder for each subject is very useful to keep your work organised and neat. If you can get into the practice of sorting them into bigger binders at home, this will be great for revision. I used binders religiously at AS and then fell out of the habit once I got to A2, and ended up losing a ton of my classnotes which was really frustrating. I'd recommend getting your own lined paper too, tightened sixth form budgets mean that they prefer you to have your own supplies.

2. No way! It's definitely a good thing. Ensuring that you're all ready for the new term to start in September will mean that you'll have one less thing to worry about on top of starting a new sixth form. A glance at the specifications of the subjects you'll be studying, particularly those that you haven't encountered prior to A Level e.g. Law and Psychology, can be useful too so that you can begin to familiarise yourself with them, and complete any summer reading or summer work you've been assigned as it'll set a good first impression. Yes, that sounds like something a teacher's pet would say, but honestly, setting a good first impression and getting along well with your A Level teachers will serve you very well.

3. I presume you're not Catholic then? Don't worry about it, there's probably a lot of students who aren't. Be respectful of the religion but don't let it infringe or restrict your experience as a student at that sixth form.

4. I'd recommend the brands previously mentioned, they're very durable and will protect your books well. Backpacks, in my opinion, are an absolute must for sixth form, particularly if you've got heavy books and binders to carry around. Some of my friends started out with canvas bags for the first few weeks of sixth form and ended up with really painful shoulders. Nobody's really too bothered about how your backpack looks once you get to sixth form so definitely favour functionality over aesthetics!

5. Judging by your response to Spongebob0303, I'd say go with China, especially as you've already been to New York once before. A ton of people have been to New York, China sounds much more interesting because it's not one of the top tourist destinations for British people. I presume you're volunteering at the children's orphanage? I personally find that a trip that gives something back to the community always feels much more rewarding, so I'd go with China. You'll be able to learn a lot about Chinese culture and in terms of educational links and opportunities, it'll tie in very nicely with subjects like Geography and Business. New York would, too, but I feel like you'd gain a lot more from a trip to China. It's up to you though!

6. 'I don't know if it was the teacher's voice', haha. On a serious note, have a read through the specifications for both subject and see which you find most interesting. I've heard that Sociology is easier than Psychology, and I also think it'll go better with your other subjects, but I don't know about your abilities as a student and which you'll be best suited to. Whatever subject you do decide to pick, most sixth forms are pretty lenient in allowing students to drop/change subjects within the first few weeks, so don't worry that you'll be stuck doing a subject you don't enjoy!
Reply 7
I agree about China, and I'm not 100% what we would do, it is most likely volunteering, but i think it is just a day.

New York would be nice, but... unlike China, i won't be able to see the 'real' New York i.e. away from times square.
Reply 8
What's the sixth form called?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Notre Dame Catholic Sixth Form College, Leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Azzer11
What's the sixth form called?

Posted from TSR Mobile

More Dame Catholic Sixth Form College, Leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Khaliah
I am going to he only sixth form college ( meaning its not in a school, and I know people but there is 1600 people in total ). By the way I am thinking of doing Geography, Law, Business, Sociology/Psychology.

1. Would it be a good idea to carry a small binder for each lesson/subject to school and leave it at school if they have lockers, then have 4 bigger binders at home, I was thinking 1 colour per lesson.

2.Is there such thing as being over prepared? Just that I am starting my stationary shopping now.

3. I am going to a catholic sixth form, is there anything I should try to avoid doing to offend? FYI, every single class room has a crucifix on the wall...

4. I need a backpack/rucksack that looks good, but has back support and plenty of space (I like purple and light blue)

5. There is a trip to China or New York, which do I choose? My deposit must be in by September when I start

6. I am finding it hard to choose between Sociology and Psychology, I did both on the taster day, I found Psychology quite boring, but I don't know if it was the teachers voice, but I felt that I enjoyed an understood Sociology better, any suggestions? (I do not want to do both together )

Khaliah :smile:

1) Yes, keeping a separate folder for each subject you're covering is a good idea. It also keeps everything prepared for whenever you wish to review your notes for revision purposes, you could also get some subject dividers for separating each topic from each subject.

2) No, its better to be over prepared than start sixth form without having the necessary equipment.

3) Just keep an open mind and avoid trying to make silly remarks, if you're going to sixth form, you should be mature enough to do that.

4) You can find them in plenty of shops

5) I'm going to New York later this month so I'd be a bit bias towards thats :P but research about the places and see which you like best and go for that.

6) If you enjoy and understand sociology, then go for that, its good to do a subject you enjoy, it'll make revising it less daunting.

Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ThatMadClown
1) Yes, keeping a separate folder for each subject you're covering is a good idea. It also keeps everything prepared for whenever you wish to review your notes for revision purposes, you could also get some subject dividers for separating each topic from each subject.

2) No, its better to be over prepared than start sixth form without having the necessary equipment.

3) Just keep an open mind and avoid trying to make silly remarks, if you're going to sixth form, you should be mature enough to do that.

4) You can find them in plenty of shops

5) I'm going to New York later this month so I'd be a bit bias towards thats :P but research about the places and see which you like best and go for that.

6) If you enjoy and understand sociology, then go for that, its good to do a subject you enjoy, it'll make revising it less daunting.

Hope I helped :smile:

Yeah you did, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest