The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Worried about starting at Met , Help!! Advice needed!

Hi all

So I applied to study Bsc Media and Communications and due to my situation applied part time directly rather through the UCAS system. I accepted my place but sorted a few things and so I changed to full time.

Now I have realised London Met has a really bad reputation,I am worried about doing my degree there.

Does anybody have a good experience of London Met?

UCAS automatically accepted my offer as I accepted my part time place, meaning to change I would have to apply again for next september or do a year and hope I can transfer for year 2 or stay and complete my degree there.

What would you do?
I unfortunately accepted a place at London Met as well based on location and course without reading reviews (i never bother with league tables).

I am planning on starting with a open mindset and judging it on my own experiences rather than others who have never attended. Start your course but see what the transfer procedure is just in case.

Best of luck x
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Didn't metropolitan give it away?
Reply 3
Original post by soleil.redwood
Hi all

So I applied to study Bsc Media and Communications and due to my situation applied part time directly rather through the UCAS system. I accepted my place but sorted a few things and so I changed to full time.

Now I have realised London Met has a really bad reputation,I am worried about doing my degree there.

Does anybody have a good experience of London Met?

UCAS automatically accepted my offer as I accepted my part time place, meaning to change I would have to apply again for next september or do a year and hope I can transfer for year 2 or stay and complete my degree there.

What would you do?

Original post by LondonLove29
I unfortunately accepted a place at London Met as well based on location and course without reading reviews (i never bother with league tables).

I am planning on starting with a open mindset and judging it on my own experiences rather than others who have never attended. Start your course but see what the transfer procedure is just in case.

Best of luck x

Wait, I don't understand...

Assuming both of you are academics that took their A-Levels seriously, how could you not know universities such as London Met Uni and London South Bank Uni are bad universities?

And before you even applied there, and before you picked your 5 universities, why wouldn't you check every university before you apply there? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Original post by AnharM

Assuming both of you are academics that took their A-Levels seriously, how could you not know universities such as London Met Uni and London South Bank Uni are bad universities?

And before you even applied there, and before you picked your 5 universities, why wouldn't you check every university before you apply there? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

1. I planned on attending a university that I could easily commute to.
2. I applied for university this year 3 days before UCAS deadline so I was unable to thoroughly research which uni is best for my chosen course.
3. The course I am going to do was not my original idea so I only applied for 1 uni and was planning on going through clearing.
Reply 5
1. I planned on attending a university that I could easily commute to.
2. I applied for university this year 3 days before UCAS deadline so I was unable to thoroughly research which uni is best for my chosen course.
3. The course I am going to do was not my original idea so I only applied for 1 uni and was planning on going through clearing.

Why did you only apply 3 days before the deadline?
Reply 6
Original post by AnharM

Assuming both of you are academics that took their A-Levels seriously

Course in media and communications lol

*each to their own*
Original post by AnharM
Why did you only apply 3 days before the deadline?

I dropped out of uni earlier this year and was planning on working full time for a year but decided if i dont start again in Sept I will lose the will power to. The deadline was on a Monday so on the Friday before I did my PS and my manager (he attended London Met) wrote me a reference and I applied.
Reply 8
Original post by Jubz1

*each to their own*

:rofl:
Reply 9
I dropped out of uni earlier this year and was planning on working full time for a year but decided if i dont start again in Sept I will lose the will power to. The deadline was on a Monday so on the Friday before I did my PS and my manager (he attended London Met) wrote me a reference and I applied.

Which uni did you attend before? And what course were you studying? And why did you drop out?

If you do go through Clearing, can you get into Russel Group unis based on the grades you already have?
Original post by AnharM
Which uni did you attend before? And what course were you studying? And why did you drop out?

If you do go through Clearing, can you get into Russel Group unis based on the grades you already have?

I was studying social work but wasnt enjoying the course. I have the grades to go to a Russell Group but cant go through clearing because I was given and accepted a offer
I was studying social work but wasnt enjoying the course. I have the grades to go to a Russell Group but cant go through clearing because I was given and accepted a offer

As you have the grades for a Russell Group uni, I'd suggest you just wait till September and apply again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jubz1

*each to their own*

Well I have been working in that course so I chose that industry and I'm not academic.

No need to be a dick about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
You can go through clearing, just call the Uni &UCAS and tell them to release you so you can apply on clearing. Do it now so you can be free on UCAS by clearing. Also, don't go to London Met, no one will ever take you/your CV serious even if you get a 1st. That's how awful it's reputation is, you'd just be wasting your money.
Original post by AnharM

I picked based on my situation. My intention was to work part time and study part time. Only a few places did part time so ranking wasnt a factor. I'm not academic, I work and did an apprenticeship.
I havent been through ucas, I cant go through clearing or adjustment. I didnt have a lot of options
Reply 16
I applied and didn't really think to look in to the uni's reputation. As I am a European student the marks required for all unis were high and London Met was the only uni willing to offer me a place. I then checked the rankings and saw in was last. I am not too bothered as my desire was to study in London. Reading about the uni I notice there are a lot of social clubs and a lot of courses therefore I don't see it as such a bad uni but I guess I won't know till I'm there.
I studied there and after a year of my degree i decided to leave due to its low reputation and its massive class sizes, in one of my seminars there were about 50 students! If i were you, I would try applying elsewhere if you can.
Thanks. I'm going to go through clearing, its a bit messy because Metropolitan registered me on UCAS and so my information isn't on there at all really.

Quick Reply