The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth University - First years with no place in Halls of Residence

I have no place in halls, unfortunately. So I have started this thread to see what others are doing in terms of accommodation because I honestly have no clue. I've been searching on websites such as Rightmove and Zoopla at private rented accommodation and there are still a few decent properties located close to the University, but it is a matter of finding others who are possibly interested in going into private rented accommodation also.

Scroll to see replies

Hey pal.

Request to join this facebook page and there will most likely be a bunch of other students looking for roomies. Some will be freshies like yourself, some will be 2nd/3rd year etc looking for people to fill up spaces. There will also be advice about where to find accomodation/land lords etc.

(not actually a member on the page myself though)

Best area I would recomend to live is Southsea. If you can avoid Fratton, it's not THAT bad just a bit of a crap hole especially compared to Southsea.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/uniportstudenthousing/?fref=ts
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
I have no accomodation either and I'm not too sure what I'm doing. I'm looking for a flat nearby to share with other students nearby so if you're looking for a flatmate I'd be interested
Check out portsmouthstudentpad.co.uk for houses as well as the facebook page.
There are Secure a Home events as well which help you meet potential housemates and find a house together! :smile:
Reply 4
Didn't get accommodation either.. pretty crap rates at Portsmouth, if you find anything i'd be interested!
Reply 5
Haven't got my confirmation if I got into halls or not yet by the post. I'm assuming that I aint getting in and I'm worried because I haven't got the slightest clue about private accommodation.
Original post by Coul
Haven't got my confirmation if I got into halls or not yet by the post. I'm assuming that I aint getting in and I'm worried because I haven't got the slightest clue about private accommodation.

Letters are being allocated over the next 2 weeks - you'll hear back either way and will know if you got in or not.
The best place to start with private accommodation is either portsmouthstudentpad.co.uk or https://www.facebook.com/groups/uniportstudenthousing/
The University approves houses and landlords around the area to ensure they're student friendly and the houses are acceptable.
There are secure a home events on 27th Aug, 30th Aug, 3rd Sept and 6th Sept for a chance to meet with potential houses and find a house or you can email student housing directly : [email protected] for direct advice.

My one tip:
Please don't go through an agency that charge admin fees. They're unnecessary and good private landlords will not do this.

Let me know if you need anymore help. I've lived in both halls and a house (I'm going into my 3rd year) and will be happy to answer any questions :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Coul

This is exactly me. I haven't received anything yet and feel like I did something wrong :s-smilie: I am gonna have no idea when it comes to renting and things like that.
Didn't get into halls and I'm looking to get a group of housemates together. I'll be at the housing event on the 27th, I'm studying sociology and I can party pretty hard :wink: I live in Essex and can get to London and the surrounding areas easily if anybody wanted to get to know each other before going ahead with a rent. Feel free to PM me and we can chat a little more.
Hey this will be next year trying to get into halls. Can I just ask: Is there a reason you didn't get accepted into halls? Did you send your application too late? or is it just a case of very limited spaces? :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by JessicaSoles
Hey this will be next year trying to get into halls. Can I just ask: Is there a reason you didn't get accepted into halls? Did you send your application too late? or is it just a case of very limited spaces? :confused:

I think some of it is just luck of the draw :s-smilie: I remember doing mine pretty early off. I wasn't picky either.
Original post by JayPlays
Didn't get into halls and I'm looking to get a group of housemates together. I'll be at the housing event on the 27th, I'm studying sociology and I can party pretty hard :wink: I live in Essex and can get to London and the surrounding areas easily if anybody wanted to get to know each other before going ahead with a rent. Feel free to PM me and we can chat a little more.

Have you found anyone yet?

Checked on the facebook page but seems like way too much hassle to try and find housemates on there! Figured it might be easier if everyone looking from this thread just meets up?
Original post by JodieH1996
Have you found anyone yet?

Checked on the facebook page but seems like way too much hassle to try and find housemates on there! Figured it might be easier if everyone looking from this thread just meets up?

I've been chatting to a load of people from the Facebook page, trying to get to know people before I commit myself to a group. But I'm happy to chat to anyone if you were interested in potentially looking for a place
Hey all. I got my letter through today and I didnt get into halls. Absolutly no idea what I'm going to do as I'm going away tomorrow!
Reply 14
Hey everyone, just found out I'm not getting into halls, despite applying as soon as humanly possible, I was told it's first come first serve? Anyway, how do I go about finding other accommodation?
Reply 15
Hey, I'm in the exact same situation! I'm doing english and creative writing in September but unfortunatley didn't get halls! I have no idea how to go about getting a flat or house, but I'm going to the secure a home event on the 27th. Is anyone else going? Please feel free to message me!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi im also in the same position and didn't get into halls. Im doing accounting with finance, got no idea how to find potential room mates.
Reply 17
Original post by elliottb1995
Hi im also in the same position and didn't get into halls. Im doing accounting with finance, got no idea how to find potential room mates.

I spoke to someone on the phone as I wasn't too sure how to go about it. She was really helpful and said to sign up onto the secure a home days, as theyre filling up fast. You meet people there and then can go around in groups to look at the different types of accommodation!
Is anyone going to the house hunting event on the 27th?
Original post by JessicaSoles

Accommodation packs (which allow you to apply for a room in halls) are sent out from the beginning of March. These are sent out in batches in the order that people firmed their offer. Therefore the earlier you make Portsmouth your firm choice, the early you should be sent your pack and then the earlier you can apply for halls. So firming early gives you the best chance (I would say aim to firm by early February to give you the best chance. Obviously this can be a problem if you haven't received all your offers by then, but the earlier the better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending