The Student Room Group

Would you slow down for horses?

I ask this question as somebody who lives and breathes horses. I have 5 I spend all day with them I love them to bits. Ive noticed though there seems to have turned into a war between horse riders and non horsey people on the roads.

I hardly ever go on the roads due to an incident when somebody drove up my horses bum beeping and he ended up sitting down on the car. I try avoid roads at all costs because of people not slowing down or being abusive but sometimes I have to ride about a mile down the road to the fields.

Equally as a car driver ive been really annoyed at people on horses. The ones that ride next to each other and don't move out the way or the ones who refuse to say thank you or the ones just have no manners. And I can see why people hate horse riders.

We're not all bad but im just wondering from a different perspective why would or wouldn't you slow down for horses.

Scroll to see replies

As I live in Newmarket, the home of horse racing and as there is a lot of studs and stables around this part of suffolk it's been drummed into most of us, oh and as we have no choice but to slow down for horses as they tend to just cross the road lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are no horses where I live, and it would be pretty unusual so I think I'd slow down.
Always, but then I'm a rider (and horse rider) myself, so of course I would.

Drivers who don't slow down for horses are morons. They forget that horses have just as much right to be on the roads, and in fact were using many of the roads in this country for hundreds of years, before cars and other vehicles were invented.

And before anyone says anything about road tax, there isn't really such a thing, as ALL taxpayers (whether they drive or not) contribute to the roads. Furthermore, with regards to insurance, any responsible horse rider has liability insurance if they ride on the roads.
Always - I'm a horse rider myself so I know the type of inconsiderate ****ers who go to fast/toot horns and scare the crap out of my horse - I'm okay on my wee pony because nothing phases him, but an ex racer I used to own flips out and rears up at the sight. Not a lot of car drivers have respect and they should, I've noticed bus and lorry drivers have the most respect but anyone else I really hope they get their tires slashed because it's really dangerous and I don't think people understand how dangerous horses can be on the road.

And I know it's not always the driver, there can be really immature riders as well, but when people don't listen to your god damn hand signals it really drives me up the wrong way, and it's not just with horses, it's all animals that are on the road, whether they are being walked or livestock moving.
(edited 9 years ago)
I always slow down for horses, it's just common courtesy. But saying that, I did grow up riding horses.

I can understand it from a non-horse person's POV. They probably think that horses belong on fields and paths, not roads where cars drive. But in my eyes, horses only tend to go on country lanes or small roads. Not exactly the M4.
I don't know if its just me but people have got a lot more aggressive and rude to riders on the roads!
Reply 7
I will slow down.
I have no connections with horses or riding but would always slow and give way to horses. I think you would have to be a heffing selfish moron not to.
Unfortunately its not that uncommon.
Reply 9
I would slow down for horses because as you say, its dangerous. I also don't want a horse kicking my car...

But yes, horse riders can be arrogant and insolent, riding side by side or not making it easy to pass if they can, and the same can be said for some cyclists. Doesn't stop me slowing down though!
Reply 10
Original post by DropkickSmurfy
Always, but then I'm a rider (and horse rider) myself, so of course I would.

Drivers who don't slow down for horses are morons. They forget that horses have just as much right to be on the roads, and in fact were using many of the roads in this country for hundreds of years, before cars and other vehicles were invented.

And before anyone says anything about road tax, there isn't really such a thing, as ALL taxpayers (whether they drive or not) contribute to the roads. Furthermore, with regards to insurance, any responsible horse rider has liability insurance if they ride on the roads.

There is such a thing as road tax, which you only have to pay if you own a car and drive on the road. The reason horses and cyclists aren't taxed is because they cause relatively little damage to the road and are environmentally friendly.
Original post by lamyers1
There is such a thing as road tax, which you only have to pay if you own a car and drive on the road. The reason horses and cyclists aren't taxed is because they cause relatively little damage to the road and are environmentally friendly.

No there is no such thing as ROAD tax.

It's vehicle excise duty.

It's a tax on cars, not on the roads.

The term road tax was abolished in 1937, but some drivers still use it (wrongly), so they can try and pretend they have more of a right to the roads than anyone else.

They don't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by DropkickSmurfy
No there is no such thing as ROAD tax.

It's vehicle excise duty.

It's a tax on cars, not on the roads.

The term road tax was abolished in 1937, but some drivers still use it (wrongly), so they can try and pretend they have more of a right to the roads than anyone else.

They don't.
A
Apologies for using the wrong terminology, cars get taxed for driving on the road. This money is used to then maintain the roads as cars cause a lot of damage. Cars which are not driven on the road do not have to pay tax (see SORN).

I am not using that as a way to say that driving A car gives you a 'right to the road'.
Have never ridden a horse, but have grown up on the borders of town and country and regularly encounter them on the back roads. I slow down without fail.

Original post by lamyers1
Apologies for using the wrong terminology, cars get taxed for driving on the road. This money is used to then maintain the roads as cars cause a lot of damage. Cars which are not driven on the road do not have to pay tax (see SORN).

I am not using that as a way to say that driving A car gives you a 'right to the road'.

It is based on emissions, not use of the roads. Electric cars and cars with very low emissions pay no vehicle excise at all despite using the road just as much.
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski

It is based on emissions, not use of the roads. Electric cars and cars with very low emissions pay no vehicle excise at all despite using the road just as much.

As I stated in my first comment.

That is to encourage people to go for those vehicles. And it is also on the use of the road, you pay the tax only if you drive your car on the road. You can own a gas-guzzling truck and drive it as much as you want on your own land without paying any tax as long as you have a SORN.
Really, this might be better placed in the Philosophy section. Should animals be on the road in the first place? And so, should we decide not to slow down for horses, to discourage this method of transportation?
Reply 16
Do horses pay road tax?
Considering how little I see people riding horses on the road, it seems retarded to not go slowly/not honk horns.
I always would - primarily because it's common sense, but I myself have had bad experiences with drivers on the road too.
I didn't ride - I used to do carriage driving with my three. We had many occasions when drivers would accelerate unnecessarily, beep, drive too close, or shout abuse as they go past. The favourite was "get off the road/you shouldn't be on the road".

Interesting - I believe the horses were there first.
Reply 19
Well yeah I'd slow down, if I don't be careful it's a big dent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply