The Student Room Group

Is UK broadband too slow?

Poll

Is UK broadband too slow?

Firstly, this may or may not be in the wrong section.

Anyway, does anyone else think that the UK average download and upload speed are pretty terrible? I think so.

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

If you are in London then it is brilliant. If you are in the Countryside you can barely get a decent broadband connection. Some places you still can't even get broadband.
Reply 2
Yes. For one example, my street has no fibre-optic cable and the most I can get via ADSL is under 12 Mb/s. In 2014.
I've written to my local MP Steve Webb about it, however both Virgin and BT have decided not to bother cabling my street.

Just compare the UK broadband speeds with South Korea, which boasts 1Gb/s connections.

Still, the situation is better than in North Korea, where Internet access is essentially banned with hefty penalties for accessing it illegally, and less IP addresses in the country than in Antarctica.
I have Super fibre optic , for gaming. Currently on holiday , and rolling on 30kb/s download speed.

FML :frown:
Original post by AstroNandos
Firstly, this may or may not be in the wrong section.

Anyway, does anyone else think that the UK average download and upload speed are pretty terrible? I think so.

Opinions?

When compared to other countries, very much so. Its quite irritating how, despite the fact we are quite a prominent country in the world, we are quite low down in the ranks. I think a lot more attention needs to be paid to the internet and speed in the UK, after all in the future its what we are clearly going to be depending on for a lot of everyday activities.
My internet speed is good (for my use).
No, you don't really need super fast internet. You can stream an encoded 1080p Bluray video with about 10mbps, and a normal encoded TV/DVD rip with about 2mbps.
As with every service in this country, in the cities and large areas of population, things are pretty sweet. If you live in a rural area you can go swivel.
There was a reprort a while ago that said when selling your home, a very good broadband speed can be almost as much of a selling point as excellent near by schools.
I used to get around 0.25mb, than BT infinity rolled out..
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
If you are in London then it is brilliant. If you are in the Countryside you can barely get a decent broadband connection. Some places you still can't even get broadband.

I live in the countryside and my broadband is pretty decent.

Too slow? You must be joking, it is plenty fast 10MB/s :biggrin:
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
No, you don't really need super fast internet. You can stream an encoded 1080p Bluray video with about 10mbps, and a normal encoded TV/DVD rip with about 2mbps.

Sure, but when you have whole families streaming on the same connection, it doesn't work too well.

Our broadband is too slow compared to other countries in Europe. The countryside has been heavily shafted. It's alright if you live in the city. They can't even give a time frame when fibre will be available everywhere in the country.
I get about 1.5 mb/s at a push where I live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No i dont think it is. Sure there are some rural areas where they get a trickle of ADSL and that is just too bad. I'd like a blonde fit model who would never look at any man, a red ferrarri ,5 million bucks in my current account and a penthouse overlooking Marthas vineyard but that isnt going to happen either.

Here i have an ADSL line with a download capacity of around 6Mb and an upload just short of 1mb. It does all i want it to do and im not planning on upgrading even though there is also a bit of virgin wire piped to my home.

No,,its not all about capacity or what ISPs like to call speed when they are trying to upsell you.

What is more important is throughput and latency.

So wires based broadband in this country? i see no major issues aside for those mentioned in rural communities. Id someone wants to pay for them to have a decent 7mb link then go right ahead. There wont be much of a return on investment for you.

What the big ******* is,is the big con that is mobile based data. It is incredibly slow and not worth the money.

As an example, i was recently given a new lappy for work that previously had upto 3G data on it. Sometimes the network didnt provide 3G and it stepped down.

The new one is EE 4 G compatible and guess what? It still isnt anything like as quick as the marketing hype would have you believe. Barely a noticeable increase and not worth the money IMHO.
Reply 14
I'm in the countryside and mine is appalling. Sometimes I'm quicker on my phone than a laptop.
I've sacrifice outright speed for consistent speeds over the whole day any time. Having super fast speeds is pointless if it is only available at 3am, when the internet slows to a crawl when I really need it in the evening between 5pm-12pm.
Reply 16
No I don't think so, depends on your broadband, I used to have netgear which was utter **** but now I've got BT which is boss
I can't get BT Infinity in my area. :sad: I could get Virgin... but I'm quite unsure about it.

Original post by Limpopo
The new one is EE 4 G compatible and guess what? It still isnt anything like as quick as the marketing hype would have you believe. Barely a noticeable increase and not worth the money IMHO.

I get 50mb on EE4G in Leeds centre and around 25 just out of town. On Sunday I streamed the Hungarian grand prix over 4G whilst on the train and that was fine.
Original post by Mequa
Yes. For one example, my street has no fibre-optic cable and the most I can get via ADSL is under 12 Mb/s. In 2014.

My parents can get 2.5Mbps max. My friend gets 0.8Mbps max. Stop complaining lol. 12Mbps is plenty!
Nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending