The Student Room Group

Why do most people live the same boring life? why don't they do something unique

Why do most people just study, get a degree and get a boring job and die?

Why don't people believe in innovation? why are there very few inventors and entrepreneurs compared to people just working as an employee for a company?
There are a lot of people with amazing and profitable ideas but they don't work on them, they don't take it seriously.

Most innovators get huge investments from venture capitalists which transform their lives, they end up becoming multimillionaires and billionaires.

Scroll to see replies

They don't want to do anything other than the ordinary.

But you do have to remember that people have different definitions of boring. For example, someone who likes extreme sports might see my life as boring, but I'm always trying to make it as someone who's self-employed.
Because of the risks involved with being innovative.
I often wonder the same thing.
Reply 4
Wholly subjective post. Most people only commit to a degree if they enjoy that course, so in their eyes they are not pursuing a boring career.
Reply 5
I agree. There was a thread today about how Uni is a waste and I said people need to be as innovative as possible, but nothing is a waste if utilized properly.
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Because of the risks involved with being innovative.

You can calculate your risks by planning and working out how to make your idea work, you can do surveys before taking the risk so that you'll have an idea whether people will like your idea or not, if they like it you can go forward with it if not then you can come up with something else
Original post by daniaal1

Why don't people believe in innovation? why are there very few inventors and entrepreneurs compared to people just working as an employee for a company?
There are a lot of people with amazing and profitable ideas but they don't work on them, they don't take it seriously.

Most innovators get huge investments from venture capitalists which transform their lives, they end up becoming multimillionaires and billionaires.

Two reasons (IMO)
Security - people go for the tried and tested system based on a fear of failure. Take the easier road to save yourself from doing something stupid.
Society - For some stupid reason, today's society views ambition as dangerous and best to be avoided. No one seems to want more! 'Oh we get by and that's enough for us!'
Reply 8
Well you'll probably do the same thing. I'd like to be a musician, but realistically it's not going to happen, so I'll probably try to get a degree or at least a basic job.

I think a lot of people are happy with this life. There are always weekends off, laughs to be had, alcohol, hobbies (e.g. for me, music), falling in love possibly, etc.
Reply 9
Original post by ApeMob
I agree. There was a thread today about how Uni is a waste and I said people need to be as innovative as possible, but nothing is a waste if utilized properly.

I saw that thread.

People should realize that innovation is basically solving *******s and making life easier. You can gain recognition and be appreciated compared to someone just doing an average job with a really **** pay
Reply 10

Too much hard work and not enough motivation. Well that's how I think most people view it tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by nohomo
Well you'll probably do the same thing. I'd like to be a musician, but realistically it's not going to happen, so I'll probably try to get a degree or at least a basic job.

I think a lot of people are happy with this life. There are always weekends off, laughs to be had, alcohol, hobbies (e.g. for me, music), falling in love possibly, etc.

No offence but the thing with music is that there's a lot of competition and most musicians don't come up with something new and innovative.

I'm talking mainly about tech, inventions because they are new and there are less chances of having competition if you've come up with something new that has never existed, well there might be something similar out there that does the same job but people invent new things for improvement, to make something more reliable
(edited 9 years ago)
I imagine it's the same reason why most physicists don't get to be Stephen Hawking. Innovation is difficult to come by, new ideas are difficult to come by. They require HUGE amounts of luck and job extremely well done. By definition, being an innovator is rare.

You can calculate your risks by planning and working out how to make your idea work, you can do surveys before taking the risk so that you'll have an idea whether people will like your idea or not, if they like it you can go forward with it if not then you can come up with something else

If it's so easy I'm sure we'll be seeing you as CEO of an innovative successful company in the future, looking down from your ivory tower at us mere mortals.

Or more likely you'll be an employee yourself.
Reply 14
Original post by tengentoppa
If it's so easy I'm sure we'll be seeing you as CEO of an innovative successful company in the future, looking down from your ivory tower at us mere mortals.

Or more likely you'll be an employee yourself.

I'm not saying it's easy, You obviously need to work hard but if you keep thinking you need to be lucky and the chances are low then you'll never be able to do anything big.

Btw i don't plan on getting a job and I've registered my own company and will be launching a product soon.

Without doing anything you'll never know whether it will work or not. And you can do something innovative in your free time and study and get a degree just in case if your idea fails you'll have something to land on. But inventing solves *******s.
Reply 15
Original post by Genocidal
They don't want to do anything other than the ordinary.

But you do have to remember that people have different definitions of boring. For example, someone who likes extreme sports might see my life as boring, but I'm always trying to make it as someone who's self-employed.

People need to realize that it might be boring for them to make something but they will definitely enjoy the results such as recognition and appreciation and maybe even they might make a lot of money out of their ideas.

It's a bit like going to the gym, it might be a lot of hard work but one day you'll be proud about it when you see the results.

you're self employed? that's nice what do you do?

You can plan and hand out surveys to your hearts content but there is always still a chance of failure and when it comes to investments and large sums of money that is a risk some people either cannot or do not want to take.
Reply 17
Original post by SophieSmall
You can plan and hand out surveys to your hearts content but there is always still a chance of failure and when it comes to investments and large sums of money that is a risk some people either cannot or do not want to take.

Well you can at least give it a try by at least making one prototype, just one.

And since tech has improved so much, there are many opportunities which you can use. Have you heard of kickstarter.com? People get crowd funded for their ideas there. Once you start an amazing project on kickstarter theres a chance that a lot of tech magazines can write an article about you and your invention. From that big companies can acquire you're company or invest in it in return for a share.

At least a simple 3D CAD would be useful
Well you can at least give it a try by at least making one prototype, just one.

And since tech has improved so much, there are many opportunities which you can use. Have you heard of kickstarter.com? People get crowd funded for their ideas there. Once you start an amazing project on kickstarter theres a chance that a lot of tech magazines can write an article about you and your invention. From that big companies can acquire you're company or invest in it in return for a share.

At least a simple 3D CAD would be useful

Yeah kickstarter is great if you actually manage to get recognition on it. But then not everyone is good at tech, nor is everyone interested in it. And not all innovation or projects people can make that could be successful are tech orientated.

If you can raise funds and it not be detrimental to your income if it fails then that's great but that's not always possible and I think that answers your question as to why not that many people do it...that and not everyone is interesting in making an invention of some kind.
So like, are academics boring, because they are not technically inventing anything (though they are doing original research)? Is working as a teacher boring? What if you enjoy communicating knowledge and passion for your subject? There are lots of people who go into medicine, so maybe that is boring, but then again, maybe they get really excited about medicine.

Things that one person may consider boring may be exciting to somebody else, even if those things are commonplace. And even beyond that, a lot of people cannot do the things that really excite them as a job (amateur musicians say, or people who might love science but have not formal training). Maybe the reasons people do jobs are not because they want to be defined by them (though that is fine as well), but because they need money, and even if their individual role is not that important, there is something to be said for being part of something bigger, for the opportunity to work with people and interact.

It is the great tragedy of capitalism that we are told the most worthwhile thing is innovation not for its own sake, but for the sake of profit and success. People can live perfectly happy lives and indulge in things they enjoy without monetising them. People can find refuge in family and friends and travels and entertainment and sport as much as I may find it in a maths *******, and that is like, entirely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending