The Student Room Group

Pharmacy & Pharmacology

Hi! Was hoping someone could clear this up for me; could I take an MPharm degree, but still become a pharmacologist and do research and development type work on discovering and developing drugs?

Any help would be great!!:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by lizziethomo
Hi! Was hoping someone could clear this up for me; could I take an MPharm degree, but still become a pharmacologist and do research and development type work on discovering and developing drugs?

Any help would be great!!:smile:

I'm no expert, but my understanding of pharmacology is that you'd be largely involved in researching the interactions of drugs [in development] - lab studies to evaluate effects on humans/cells/animals, possibly then coordinating and reviewing clinical trials - rather than the true "developing" of drugs. The pharmacological assessment is a significant part of the development process though so if that's all you mean - in which case, sure! :smile: For pure R&D you may want to consider a PhD, as more and more larger companies seem to be favouring that. That's something to think about in ~3 years time though, more than now. You might be alright though if you come across the right company that fits with your fourth year research project or any internships you may have done.
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
I'm no expert, but my understanding of pharmacology is that you'd be largely involved in researching the interactions of drugs [in development] - lab studies to evaluate effects on humans/cells/animals, possibly then coordinating and reviewing clinical trials - rather than the true "developing" of drugs. The pharmacological assessment is a significant part of the development process though so if that's all you mean - in which case, sure! :smile: For pure R&D you may want to consider a PhD, as more and more larger companies seem to be favouring that. That's something to think about in ~3 years time though, more than now. You might be alright though if you come across the right company that fits with your fourth year research project or any internships you may have done.

Oh okay that sounds good! But would I be able to follow that career path if I had an Pharmacy degree, or would it have to be a Pharmacology degree?

Quick Reply

Latest