has anyone lived away from home on SF?

If u lived on student finance only, away from home
How did u manage
Did u get any other in come?

I would like to know your experience
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't really understand the question? :confused:

Are you asking if someone lived off their student finance whilst in halls/private accommodation?

If so, the answer would be to budget your expenses!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Alumna
If u lived on student finance away from home
How did u manage
Did u get any in come?

Of course they do. The majority of Students either live at the halls or in nearby house/flat shares.

If you live away from home, you get more money from Student Finance.

A lot of the time though people can't get by on just this and will have a part-time job alongside Uni.
Reply 3
Original post by OllieDS
Of course they do. The majority of Students either live at the halls or in nearby house/flat shares.

If you live away from home, you get more money from Student Finance.

A lot of the time though people can't get by on just this and will have a part-time job alongside Uni.

Original post by ItsRoryG
I don't really understand the question? :confused:

Are you asking if someone lived off their student finance whilst in halls/private accommodation?

If so, the answer would be to budget your expenses!

I changed the description to make it more understanding. As i will be getting student finance i want peoples opinion or views on how they coped when they moved away from home to live on their own. I want to know if they only lived on their student finance or if they got any other support such as job or family and if so how much. Would preferably like this insight from students who just live of student finance without a job, and if they did get family input

how much

:biggrin:
I'm about to enter my final year and I've survived solely on Student Finance, I wouldn't be able to afford to go to University otherwise.

My first year I lived in halls, it's important to note that due to my parents being a low income household I get the maximum student finance. I chose the expensive halls due to the fact I can't share bathrooms and wanted my own bathroom. I worked throughout the summer, so I had a good start up fund for Freshers. It was quite hard the first year, the halls were incredibly expensive. However, half way through the year I got a bursary from the University which helped a little.

My second year I lived off campus in rented accommodation. It was far easier, I had a far bit of money left over to spend on days out, clothes, etc.

I want to add, during the holidays I worked 40+ hours a week, so I always had some money stashed away. I also had an overdraft (my bank gave me a £1000 one with no interest) which sometimes I dipped into when I was expecting my next finance package.
Reply 5
Original post by winterbucky
I'm about to enter my final year and I've survived solely on Student Finance, I wouldn't be able to afford to go to University otherwise.

My first year I lived in halls, it's important to note that due to my parents being a low income household I get the maximum student finance. I chose the expensive halls due to the fact I can't share bathrooms and wanted my own bathroom. I worked throughout the summer, so I had a good start up fund for Freshers. It was quite hard the first year, the halls were incredibly expensive. However, half way through the year I got a bursary from the University which helped a little.

My second year I lived off campus in rented accommodation. It was far easier, I had a far bit of money left over to spend on days out, clothes, etc.

I want to add, during the holidays I worked 40+ hours a week, so I always had some money stashed away. I also had an overdraft (my bank gave me a £1000 one with no interest) which sometimes I dipped into when I was expecting my next finance package.

Good to know,
Any one without having a job that survived on student finance only?

I doubt i will be working because my course is full time but it is nice to know someone with low income can manage. Did you think that having a job contributed majorly because There is no way i can work.

Thanks
Reply 6
I get maximum student financial support and lived solely on student finance during my first year with no other income, I plan on doing the same next year (but for longer - over the summer too - ) because I saved some money from loans/grants/bursaries from first year so I can afford to sustain myself on student finance money for longer this year.
But I will probably think about getting a job or work experience over next summer to boost my CV

Always good to get a job though, good on CV and without it you'd be screwed upon graduating.
Not to mention majority of students need jobs alongside their studies just to survive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I lived on my grant ~£1k, and a scholarship from the university (£250) for the first year. Got awarded a scholarship from a company at the end of first year so I got £300 then which I saved for second year. Got the same sort of grant again from SF, and another £250. The £300 was recurring, but because it gets paid to me in April/May it doesn't help until the autumn really.

My parents paid for my textbooks and generally got me sorted with whatever to go with (kitchen stuff, cleaning stuff etc.) and I grabbed a load of tinned food from the cupboards at home before I left (tuna :biggrin:). My mum came shopping with me to fill up on freezer/fridge items (~£40) probably 3 times in the year (start, after Christmas, after Easter).

I had savings but I didn't want to use them so I just stuck to budget. If your parents can help you enough to buy stocks of some stuff initially (like washing powder, toilet rolls, shampoo) then it's pretty much just any laundry fees and food. That was easy enough to do ~£20-25/week. I didn't eat an awful lot of meat though (preference, rather than anything). I think I basically did a big online order for ~£30-£40 every 4 - 6 weeks then mostly just bought bread/milk/biscuits regularly, and other bits that took my fancy here and there. No takeaways, didn't eat out at all in first year, and no mobile phone contract. My course is full time, so I never felt like going out drinking much. Went out a few times, but avoiding that keeps cost down if you need to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending