The Student Room Group

Am I likely to get asthma if one of my parents has it?

My dad first got asthma in his late thirties/early forties and it seems like exercise always made it worse. He also has nasal inflammation / polyps now and again. In my early twenties I developed chronic nasal inflammation and polyps and have to take a nasal steroid spray everyday. Tested negative for allergies however antihistamines help. I'm wondering what are my chances of getting asthma like him later in life?

I do a lot of running and asthma would just ruin this for me as it's the only thing I enjoy, I train hard at intervals too and wouldn't be able to with asthma if it's anything like my dads, he coughed loads after exercise.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was told there is a genetic link.

You can still run with asthma - I and plenty of others do. :smile: You just need to listen to your body.
Original post by OU Student
I was told there is a genetic link.

You can still run with asthma - I and plenty of others do. :smile: You just need to listen to your body.

I've heard you can but say if you are doing 12 intervals ie 300m repeats with a min rest in between would you usually end up missing some out due to asthma or can you train properly and complete a full session with asthma?
Original post by civilstudent
I've heard you can but say if you are doing 12 intervals ie 300m repeats with a min rest in between would you usually end up missing some out due to asthma or can you train properly and complete a full session with asthma?

You should be ok.

I am generally ok now. It took a good few months to get my medication right, which they had to increase. I am now on the lowest dose (child's dose) of my medication and rarely take my reliever now.
Original post by OU Student
You should be ok.

I am generally ok now. It took a good few months to get my medication right, which they had to increase. I am now on the lowest dose (child's dose) of my medication and rarely take my reliever now.

So once the meds are right you feel more or less normals apart from occassional flares? Can't believe I'm planning for in case I get asthma lol, just seems likely though as I have nasal polyps/ problems just like my dad did before he got asthma.
Original post by civilstudent
So once the meds are right you feel more or less normals apart from occassional flares? Can't believe I'm planning for in case I get asthma lol, just seems likely though as I have nasal polyps/ problems just like my dad did before he got asthma.

Yes. :smile: I've got to listen to my body and not overdo it.

Another trigger of mine is aerosol cans, which is a right pain.
With the right medication you should be able to function normally with asthma, the only issue (i'm guessing) would be if you wanted to compete professionally as at least some of the medication used to help with asthma will be on the banned substances list however there have been a number of professional sportsmen and women who have had asthma and have gone on to compete at the top of their chosen sports. It's worth pointing out that the genetic links between parents and children in regards to asthma are generally focused at childhood asthma rather than onset adult asthma and it is not a single "asthma" gene that means you will get it, think of it more that some people have a genetic disposition towards asthma, in other words they are more likely to develop asthma as a side effect of something like a respiratory illness or irritants. There is no way to predict your chance of getting asthma but i would say with absolute certainty that just because your father developed it does not mean that you are going to and i would not spend any time worrying about it as even if you do get it once your medication is sorted out like OU student said you will be able to continue your training with minimal if any interuptions.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest