The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Looking for Private House in Southampton!

Hi everyone. I'm an international student from Canada, and I just got a place through Clearing on the Audiology course at the University of Southampton. I will be applying for university accommodation, but as a Clearing applicant, I do not fall under the guaranteed university housing scheme. Therefore, I am beginning my search for a private rental near the Highfield campus to move into around the middle of September.

I have no idea how to go about looking for a private rental, so I was hoping someone can offer more information! What are some reputable housing websites? Do you know of any particular rental places? Any help would be appreciated. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I am also looking for private house in Southampton. I have firmed UoS for MSc. In Business Analytics and Management. I am from India and 24 years old. We can look for a house together if you want. And will search for more house mates. What do u say?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by amyfromcanada
Hi everyone. I'm an international student from Canada, and I just got a place through Clearing on the Audiology course at the University of Southampton. I will be applying for university accommodation, but as a Clearing applicant, I do not fall under the guaranteed university residence scheme. Therefore, I am beginning my search for a private rental near the Highfield campus to move into around the middle of September (September 18 to be exact)!

Does anyone have any information on rentals, and/or are looking for roommates too? I'd love to hear from you!

Hi. I am also looking for private house in Southampton. I have firmed UoS for MSc. In Business Analytics and Management. I am from India and 24 years old. We can look for a house together if you want. And will search for more house mates. What do you say?
Reply 3
I had this problem too. Although from the UK I didn't really want to share with people who are just leaving home for the first time and lets face it, be extremely noisy.

I searched a variety of sites which come back with replies pretty quickly. Gumtree always has posting for single and double rooms. spareroom.co.uk is also a good one. You can search for specifics as to what your looking for. Rightmove and zoopla are property sites with rooms, beware though they're usually hosted on behalf of the property owner by estate agents; so fees may incur.

The way I found my room was through the university of Southampton's private rented housing section on the accommodation page. they run a scheme The Southampton Accreditation Scheme for Student Housing (SASSH) which is to ensure that students have access to a supply of high quality, safe accommodation that is well managed. I found my place through the SASSH website (http://www.sassh.co.uk/Accommodation). you'll need to create an account to search through the available property.

I am very happy with my room through, its 12ft x 12ft, links onto the garden via double doors, has all bill included and is sharing with a load of PHd and postgrad students. Its a nice area, safe, is about 30 min journey to Highfield campus, so yeah cool.

heres some links:

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/
http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare/southampton/room+to+rent
http://www.sassh.co.uk/Accommodation

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/privaterented/

hope this helps guys, take care
Reply 4
Hey there AMy Canada!
were you looking for your own flat or looking for others to share with? im in the same boat as you but im doing Law, already having completed a degree in Newfoundland
Im rather easy going, tidy, I like good banter, footy, few pints when everyone done study n what not . would love to find a few good blokes/lasses instead of endin up with some randoms.

would love to hear back from some ppl
Reply 5
Hi everyone. I'm an international student from Canada, and I just got a place through Clearing on the Audiology course at the University of Southampton. I will be applying for university accommodation, but as a Clearing applicant, I do not fall under the guaranteed university housing scheme. Therefore, I am beginning my search for a private rental near the Highfield campus to move into around the middle of September.

I have no idea how to go about looking for a private rental, so I was hoping someone can offer more information! What are some reputable housing websites? Do you know of any particular rental places? Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Hi amyfromcanada,

Congratz on getting a place at southampton =). I am currently a student at southampton. i may actually even visit canada this year for placement- see how things go xd.

this may make your accomadation searching a little easier: would you be interested in an en-suite room? it is available from mid september to june next year (covers the whole academic year- and you can extend it if you like). it is £115 perweek with bills and internet included (so less hassle for a new student & it is with private student halls company, liberty living, http://www.libertyliving.co.uk/ ). it libery point which is close to southampton university but on the website it is sold-out so please contact me if your interested. i hold a contract with them, but no longer need it, so i'm looking for a student who can replace me for when the contract starts this mid-september. it is in shared flat of 3 other students at southampton uni. if you want more information..please let me know...=)
Original post by 4_42g10
Hi amyfromcanada,

Congratz on getting a place at southampton =). I am currently a student at southampton. i may actually even visit canada this year for placement- see how things go xd.

this may make your accomadation searching a little easier: would you be interested in an en-suite room? it is available from mid september to june next year (covers the whole academic year- and you can extend it if you like). it is £115 perweek with bills and internet included (so less hassle for a new student & it is with private student halls company, liberty living, http://www.libertyliving.co.uk/ ). it libery point which is close to southampton university but on the website it is sold-out so please contact me if your interested. i hold a contract with them, but no longer need it, so i'm looking for a student who can replace me for when the contract starts this mid-september. it is in shared flat of 3 other students at southampton uni. if you want more information..please let me know...=)

Hi! Thanks so much for letting me know. However, I was just made an offer of accommodation by the university, so I won't be needing to look for private housing anymore! Sorry about that.
Reply 7
Hi! Thanks so much for letting me know. However, I was just made an offer of accommodation by the university, so I won't be needing to look for private housing anymore! Sorry about that.

Hey, which hall?
Original post by hicknewf
Hey there AMy Canada!
were you looking for your own flat or looking for others to share with? im in the same boat as you but im doing Law, already having completed a degree in Newfoundland
Im rather easy going, tidy, I like good banter, footy, few pints when everyone done study n what not . would love to find a few good blokes/lasses instead of endin up with some randoms.

would love to hear back from some ppl

Hi! Thanks for getting in touch!! It's so nice to hear from another Canadian! You're from Newfoundland, so did you just graduate from Memorial then? :smile:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just made an offer of accommodation by the university, so I won't be needing to look for private housing anymore. Did you apply for university accommodation by any chance? I was told at the end of July that there are fewer people who applied for accommodation this year when compared to previous years, so there is a better chance for those who don't fall under the guaranteed housing scheme to be made offers of university accommodation. Just wanted to pass on this information to you!
Original post by deeptesh
Hey, which hall?

I'm in Glen Eyre. Did you receive an offer of accommodation by the university too?
Original post by tuckers88
I had this problem too. Although from the UK I didn't really want to share with people who are just leaving home for the first time and lets face it, be extremely noisy.

I searched a variety of sites which come back with replies pretty quickly. Gumtree always has posting for single and double rooms. spareroom.co.uk is also a good one. You can search for specifics as to what your looking for. Rightmove and zoopla are property sites with rooms, beware though they're usually hosted on behalf of the property owner by estate agents; so fees may incur.

The way I found my room was through the university of Southampton's private rented housing section on the accommodation page. they run a scheme The Southampton Accreditation Scheme for Student Housing (SASSH) which is to ensure that students have access to a supply of high quality, safe accommodation that is well managed. I found my place through the SASSH website (http://www.sassh.co.uk/Accommodation). you'll need to create an account to search through the available property.

I am very happy with my room through, its 12ft x 12ft, links onto the garden via double doors, has all bill included and is sharing with a load of PHd and postgrad students. Its a nice area, safe, is about 30 min journey to Highfield campus, so yeah cool.

heres some links:

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/
http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare/southampton/room+to+rent
http://www.sassh.co.uk/Accommodation

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/privaterented/

hope this helps guys, take care

Hey! Although I will be living in university accommodation after all (was just made an offer by the university), I'm really glad to know all this information! Thanks so much for the links! It'll be useful for sure in the future. :smile:
I'm in Glen Eyre. Did you receive an offer of accommodation by the university too?

Not yet... But as an international student I will hv an guaranteed accommodation. Let's see what happens. Btw when did you apply for accommodation? I applied on the last day so I think I will be receiving it too late.
Not yet... But as an international student I will hv an guaranteed accommodation. Let's see what happens. Btw when did you apply for accommodation? I applied on the last day so I think I will be receiving it too late.

I applied a couple of days before the deadline, so not that much earlier than you.
I applied a couple of days before the deadline, so not that much earlier than you.

Great, so I should receive my offer soon. You got catered or self catered? Glen
Eyre is my 1st preference in the list.
Reply 14
Hi! Thanks for getting in touch!! It's so nice to hear from another Canadian! You're from Newfoundland, so did you just graduate from Memorial then? :smile:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just made an offer of accommodation by the university, so I won't be needing to look for private housing anymore. Did you apply for university accommodation by any chance? I was told at the end of July that there are fewer people who applied for accommodation this year when compared to previous years, so there is a better chance for those who don't fall under the guaranteed housing scheme to be made offers of university accommodation. Just wanted to pass on this information to you!

I did graduate from Memorial yep!

that's all grand love, I didn't apply to those cause I went to Dublin for school one year and stayed in Res and literally did zero study lol figure im too old to be at the res again so was hopin to find some good ppl with an empty room! Im also still waitin to get my visa and $$ sorted fully before I wanted to commit to accom !
let me know if you hear anything pop up or even wanna get together once in Soton!
Alex
Great, so I should receive my offer soon. You got catered or self catered? Glen
Eyre is my 1st preference in the list.

Glen Eyre doesn't have a catering option. I hope you knew that before you made your accommodation choices!
I did graduate from Memorial yep!

that's all grand love, I didn't apply to those cause I went to Dublin for school one year and stayed in Res and literally did zero study lol figure im too old to be at the res again so was hopin to find some good ppl with an empty room! Im also still waitin to get my visa and $$ sorted fully before I wanted to commit to accom !
let me know if you hear anything pop up or even wanna get together once in Soton!
Alex

Hi Alex!

That makes sense. If it wasn't because I didn't live in residence in my first year at McGill and am curious about the experience, I suppose I wouldn't want to be put with a bunch of younger students either. Have you gone in for a visa appointment yet? I went last Friday, and received an email yesterday from the British Consulate in New York acknowledging receipt of my application. I'm hoping my application gets approved soon (fingers crossed!). :smile:

Meeting up in Soton would be fun! Have you booked your flight yet, or no? I guess you are probably waiting to get your visa?

Amy
Reply 17
Hi Alex!

That makes sense. If it wasn't because I didn't live in residence in my first year at McGill and am curious about the experience, I suppose I wouldn't want to be put with a bunch of younger students either. Have you gone in for a visa appointment yet? I went last Friday, and received an email yesterday from the British Consulate in New York acknowledging receipt of my application. I'm hoping my application gets approved soon (fingers crossed!). :smile:

Meeting up in Soton would be fun! Have you booked your flight yet, or no? I guess you are probably waiting to get your visa?

Amy

aha it is def an experience!
i have to go to bloody nova scotia to get mine as the newf office in st johns only opens a few times year! so im gonna make a lil trip out of it an stay the week n meet up w some friends!
ya im waiting for my visa to go through before i finalize accom and flights! hopefully it goes trhough soon did you tell them you needed a rush put through on your visa!? what date were you gonna try to get in soton for!?
certainly, feel free to add me on facebook im under T Alex Hickman III
aha it is def an experience!
i have to go to bloody nova scotia to get mine as the newf office in st johns only opens a few times year! so im gonna make a lil trip out of it an stay the week n meet up w some friends!
ya im waiting for my visa to go through before i finalize accom and flights! hopefully it goes trhough soon did you tell them you needed a rush put through on your visa!? what date were you gonna try to get in soton for!?
certainly, feel free to add me on facebook im under T Alex Hickman III

Gosh, you have to go to Halifax just for a visa appointment? :eek: Yes, I did pay extra money for priority service. I figured it was worth it, since I really don't want to be waiting for my visa until just a few days before my flight. I'm heading to Southampton on the 20th, but I'm staying in London for a couple of days beforehand.
Reply 19
Gosh, you have to go to Halifax just for a visa appointment? :eek: Yes, I did pay extra money for priority service. I figured it was worth it, since I really don't want to be waiting for my visa until just a few days before my flight. I'm heading to Southampton on the 20th, but I'm staying in London for a couple of days beforehand.

How much extra was the express visa!? You paid in office did u!? What else did they do during the visa appt!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending