The Student Room Group

Am I going to get thrown out of uni?

So basically long story short, I had a difficult relationship and it broke down during exam period. I study computer science, second year, and it is TOUGH. So I had 9 modules to study for, all of which are so difficult.

I managed to pass 7 but I failed 2... quite badly. I have no idea how I passed the other 7, i was expecting to fail all of them

I've been given a resit and it's in 3 weeks, I haven't had much time to revise during the summer, well I've tried but i've been so nervous and so convinced im going to fail again I don't think I have enough time. Is 3 weeks enough?

I really don't know what to do, I'm so scared because if I fail i'm certain I will be thrown out.

What can I do to motivate myself to revise, I don't know what happens I end up just sitting in my room nervous with all my books but never writing anything and before I know it it's 2:14am! this is what happened today and it's happened for at least a week.

Please help me!
Contact your personal tutor - phone them, email them and ask for a chat. If they are on leave, find another staff member who you trust and talk to them. Or give your Uni counselling service/Nightline a call. What you are feeling is quite normal and it is fixable in time for the retakes.
You just need to crack on. I know how it feels to fail. I failed 5 modules last year. Just sit down and do it because otherwise I can guarantee that you will fail and it will be your own doing.
Original post by voodoochild
So basically long story short, I had a difficult relationship and it broke down during exam period. I study computer science, second year, and it is TOUGH. So I had 9 modules to study for, all of which are so difficult.

I managed to pass 7 but I failed 2... quite badly. I have no idea how I passed the other 7, i was expecting to fail all of them

I've been given a resit and it's in 3 weeks, I haven't had much time to revise during the summer, well I've tried but i've been so nervous and so convinced im going to fail again I don't think I have enough time. Is 3 weeks enough?

I really don't know what to do, I'm so scared because if I fail i'm certain I will be thrown out.

What can I do to motivate myself to revise, I don't know what happens I end up just sitting in my room nervous with all my books but never writing anything and before I know it it's 2:14am! this is what happened today and it's happened for at least a week.

Please help me!

How badly can you possibly fail two modules? You only need 40% for a pass anyway.. Which modules were they?

Moving on..

It's hard to see what can motivate you, when you know already that the possibility of being kicked out is so real. Does this not motivate you in itself?

If you're up until 2:14am and you're not writing anything, then what are you doing exactly? If it's Fb, Twitter or TSR, then you need to detach yourself from them completely for three weeks. It's a small sacrifice to make if it means passing second year and completing your degree, which you have already paid £18K+ for as it is. If you literally just can't bring yourself to write anything, then just read. There's no set rule that says if you don't write everything down then you're not going to learn it. Hopefully all of what you're reading is in the back of your mind anyway. Spend an even amount of time reading for each subject and take important notes. Mainly s**t that you'd forgotten about. Especially s**t that didn't even ring a bell. Preferably write them on flash cards, and build up a little pile of them. By the last week you will have a huge pile of Q&A flash cards, and you should be covering them every morning when you wake up, and then again during the day. Read the Q, write down the A on a scrap piece of paper. Compare your answer with the model one you wrote on the flash card. Make a pile of flash cards you got right first time, and a pile of flash cards you didn't get right first time. Always do the second pile first, just in case you have so many cards that you can't possibly do them all in one sitting. If you do this for both topics, you can't possibly go sub-40. Good luck!
Reply 4
If you fail the two modules after resits, chances are you'll be offered the chance to retake them next year. You won't automatically be thrown out, especially as you've passed all your other modules.

Three weeks is plenty of time to revise. If - as above - you get off TSR and start doing it!

And don't stay up until 2:15am. If you're not getting anywhere, it's more important to get a decent night's sleep so you can try again tomorrow. If you just stay awake for no reason, not only do you not revise but you lose valuable sleep as well.
Start with one topic. Revise this thoroughly, the move onto the next one. Don't dip in and out - that is the quickest way to get in a panic.
Pick up the book(s) or set of notes for that one topic - go and work in the Library or an empty classroom. No computer, no electronics, no phone. Once you've done a day of this and cracked the 'not doing anything' impasse, you'll get motivated for more. It takes determination - and no distractions - to concentrate. You can do this - IF you want it badly enough.
Reply 6
Thanks guys I have been seriously helped by this
believe in yourself!! you can do it :smile:
Reply 8
I passssed
I passssed

Congratz! :biggrin:

What did you get in the two modules if you mind me asking?
Original post by In One Ear
Congratz! :biggrin:

What did you get in the two modules if you mind me asking?

58% in operating systems

66% in computer architecture

=D
58% in operating systems

66% in computer architecture

=D

Haha nailed it, no sweat :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest