The Student Room Group

International PostGrad: KCL? Edinburgh? Birmingham?

Poll

Which Uni?

Hey there, sorry my first message is a question but as an overseas student, I can't have the answers of your questions unfortunately :colondollar:

I got offers from KCL (MSc Mental Health Studies), Edinburgh (MSc Children and Young People's Mental Health and Clinical Practice) and Birmingham (MRes Clinical Psychology). I actually have offers from Reading (Clinical Aspects of Psy) and Goldsmiths (Clinical bla bla) as well, but decided to choose between intial three anyway.

I have nothing against KCL except the monsterous fees and there is a possibility that they won't wait for my scholarship results to be announced anymore :frown:

Edinburgh seems wonderful but I have this fear, to focus only on children&young people lessen my chances to get into a DClin&PhD? Also, they do have this "practice" word in their title but they don't offer placements, I can volunteer but maybe I am not accepted? I need to take supervision so I can get my degree accredited back in my country. Maybe I can get paid supervision? Is it possible?

Finally, Birmingham! With all thoose placements it looks suberb, but the course structure? I understand it focuses on research but there are no module details and I just think they don't teach about mental health at all, just to measure them? And, also the city is not grandiose as London or dreamy as Edinburgh, but its campus seems fantastic and has good transportaion links both to London and Edinburgh, right? Riiight?

Uggggh I don't know! Anyone attented any of these courses? Say anything about Birmingham as a city? Please?
I can't hep you regarding course structure etc. but I can talk about universities as best I can.

My reccomendation would be Birmingham. I know people who went there and said it was a great university. It is also Britains second biggest city by both population and size I beleive, while remaining cheaper in terms of living costs than London.

I don't know about fees for international students or what KCL's are but almost every cost of living (food, bills, transport, accomodation) in London is expensive, the average price of rent in London is currently £1,400 a month. Double the average in the rest of Britain. Brilliant, but expensive (I love London though). If money isn't really an issue then KCL could also be a very good choice.

I don't know anything really about Edinborough. I hear it's cheap but that was from someone who went there for 1 week so who knows.
(edited 9 years ago)
Bear in mind if you are an international student without the right to reside in the UK, you will be ineligible for the majority of Doctorate of Clinical Psychology programmes that you will need to complete to practice as a clinical psychologist.

The DClinPsy is an NHS funded courses with a salary attached and successful applicants are employed by the NHS as Trainee Clinical Psychologists while they study. You would need to have the right to work in the UK without restriction to be able to apply for an NHS funded place. A student visa is not enough because if you are accepted on an NHS funded place you will be classed as an employee. You can find out more about the programme from the link in my signature.
Reply 3
Original post by Amphiprion
I can't hep you regarding course structure etc. but I can talk about universities as best I can.

My reccomendation would be Birmingham. I know people who went there and said it was a great university. It is also Britains second biggest city by both population and size I beleive, while remaining cheaper in terms of living costs than London.

I don't know about fees for international students or what KCL's are but almost every cost of living (food, bills, transport, accomodation) in London is expensive, the average price of rent in London is currently £1,400 a month. Double the average in the rest of Britain. Brilliant, but expensive (I love London though). If money isn't really an issue then KCL could also be a very good choice.

I don't know anything really about Edinborough. I hear it's cheap but that was from someone who went there for 1 week so who knows.

Edinburgh just gave me a horrible accom, the most expensive hall with shared bathroom :s-smilie: I really like the city though. Would it be possible to rent a flat or something? Thanks for Birmingham info! I emailed my supervisor at Birmingham about course descriptions. Wish me luck!

Original post by Lord Asriel
Bear in mind if you are an international student without the right to reside in the UK, you will be ineligible for the majority of Doctorate of Clinical Psychology programmes that you will need to complete to practice as a clinical psychologist.

The DClinPsy is an NHS funded courses with a salary attached and successful applicants are employed by the NHS as Trainee Clinical Psychologists while they study. You would need to have the right to work in the UK without restriction to be able to apply for an NHS funded place. A student visa is not enough because if you are accepted on an NHS funded place you will be classed as an employee. You can find out more about the programme from the link in my signature.

Thank you, I'm already aware of the situation. That's why I added PhD, there is a strong possibility that I turn back to my country and a have DClin equivalent here, or maybe try another European country. Or maybe I'll go with counseling&psychotherapy but I cannot afford the fees on my own no matter what, I would need a scholarship, well this reply goes nowhere, sorry :tongue:

I mean, my situation is pretty complicated and I want to know which programme would you recommend for a fresh psychologist who wants to further her education in clinical psychology or psycotherapy. It would be awesome if I can get a job during my doctorate education as well, which programme most probably leads me to have a job without/during further education?
I mean, my situation is pretty complicated and I want to know which programme would you recommend for a fresh psychologist who wants to further her education in clinical psychology or psycotherapy. It would be awesome if I can get a job during my doctorate education as well, which programme most probably leads me to have a job without/during further education?

A PhD is a research qualification and is probably of best benefit if you want to become a researcher or university lecturer in the more theoretical forms of psychology. All professional psychology pathways where you get to be a practitioner are fairly competitive and generally require some form of prior direct experience, a recognised BPS degree and between 3-6 years of further training.

Psychotherapy is a bit different, and training in the various branches are usually self funded, or funded via a workplace where staff already have a job. Without knowing full details it is hard to advise, but I recommend you try to arrange a face to face meeting with either a careers service or a psychologist who is UK based to get a good idea of your best options.

Quick Reply

Latest