The Student Room Group

To work or not to work, that is the question

Hi everyone,

I am beginning my bachelor of social work at mcgill university in a few weeks.
I'm taking four courses since I am a francophone student and want to leave myself time to adapt to the rhythm of the university life.

On top of that I will
* Volunteer one evening in the week with victims of sexual abuse.
* Possibily blog twice a month for the university's blog
* Possibily be rep. of the first-year students of my program.

Do you think I could work one weekend on top with all of that? (about 14 hours) or it's too much? I've been offered a job starting in September by the women's shelter in which I did in internship in the past. What do you guys think knowing the subjects we have to cover in that program?
Blogging does not take up much time if you're good at writing and typing. If you arent very good at those 2 things, just say no thanks or take 1 blog a month. No reason to put yourself out and if you want the blogging thing for your CV once a month is just as good as twice a month in an employers' eyes.

By possible be first year student rep, I'm assuming you mean you're going to apply for it. Competition for these spots is usually rife and your chances will be slim just cause a ton of people will probably apply for it. Again the only reason to do this, in my opinion, is to boost your CV. HOWEVER, it seems like you're headed towards a career in social care of some sort and the employment history/reference from the women's shelter job would look much better on job applications. Not to mention you will have icome.

I've just graduated with a 2:1 degree in marine biology. I didn't do an awful lot of work at the weekends , not unless it was close to exams or I had coursework due in that i'd left a bit late. Which proves it's suggests not a ******* if you're busy at weekends as long as you manage your time well. Stay on top of your course work and time will simply not be an issue. It's easy to be lazy and wait to do it later when you've got like 4 weeks to hand in a piece of work, my genuine advice as someone who's always left it late is just freakin do it cause it was doing coursework late that probably cost me a 1st in the end.

Summary:

- Continue doing the volunteer with abuse victims (good on ya btw)
- Blog once a month, not twice.
- Take the job instead of the rep position.
Reply 2
I do believe I have good chances to be elected as a U1 rep actually. My resume is quite long and I have the intention to talk briefly about many of the experiences I've had. Plus, a lot of people tell me that not so many students apply because a lot of them aren't even aware that the position is vacant (U1 = new students entering the university and not knowing everything about the school). What I'd be basically doing is transferring information to the students - info that I have to know anyway - and having one meeting during the semester or during the year to hear the students' concerns and report them to the higher placed people. So it's not that much of a job actually.

For blogging, I am good at writing and typing, especially in French.

And I don't really procrastinate.

Still, I wonder if I am going to be able make it and I am anxious.
Reply 3
Original post by KharoSc
I do believe I have good chances to be elected as a U1 rep actually. My resume is quite long and I have the intention to talk briefly about many of the experiences I've had. Plus, a lot of people tell me that not so many students apply because a lot of them aren't even aware that the position is vacant (U1 = new students entering the university and not knowing everything about the school). What I'd be basically doing is transferring information to the students - info that I have to know anyway - and having one meeting during the semester or during the year to hear the students' concerns and report them to the higher placed people. So it's not that much of a job actually.

For blogging, I am good at writing and typing, especially in French.

And I don't really procrastinate.

Still, I wonder if I am going to be able make it and I am anxious.

It also depends on the contact hours you have - not sure how many you'll have for your degree. If you have loads of contact hours then it'll be difficult to do the work that you need to do not on the weekend so I'd suggest finding that out and also waiting maybe a month until you get the job. Find out what the work load is and how you settle in that sort of thing. My friend has just found a 0 hours contract which seems perfect cause they call her up every week and ask when she's free to work. So some weeks she won't have to work at all.

If it's a job that you have to work every weekend regardless of the fact that you have 3 big assignments due in on Monday or whatever you may wish to reconsider and potentially find another job.

I've always been told not to get a job at uni unless you need it to be able to afford to live.
Reply 4
Hi,

I talked with the coordinator at the women's shelter where I've been offered a job. Basically, I explained to her my concerns and insecurities and the fact that I am hesitant to accept the job. She knows me well so I know she'll tell me what's best for me. I think it would be better if I did not work during uni. I am supported financially by the uni and the gouvernement on top of that. I would have done it for the experience but I feel soooo stressed out to have potentially accepted this offer so I think it's better if I don't accept it.

I have four classes which means 24 hours of study for 4 courses of 3 hours each.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

I've been offered another job. This one is in a governmental institution that helps children and teens who are victims of abuse and neglect. Exactly in my field of study. I've been waiting for this since two years, applied and did the whole application process in March and was hired back then, however, the job was on call so they did not need me in the summer. I expected to work in the summer but they only called me now. I start on the 18th.

I'm gonna work one evening and one morning in the week as well as every two weekends. Always on call. (So it's a potential of 0 to 32 hours every week). I'm extremely nervous but I've been told that if I refuse this, I might not get a chance again. So I'm gonna give this a try, with my four classes. We'll see what happens.

I'm turning down the first one I've been offered even if it was less hours because I feel like it was a less interesting opportunity (already done a year internship there, so I'm looking for new challenges).

Quick Reply

Latest