The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
It depends on your music tastes, my favourites are 5th Ave and 42nd street but these clubs are better in the week as they are no scallies and much cheaper drinks (as little as 50p each)

In the weekends its nice just to local bars rather than go into the city centre with all the scallie masses coming down from all over the North West.

It does really depend on your music tastes though.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
amazingtrade
It depends on your music tastes, my favourites are 5th Ave and 42nd street but these clubs are better in the week as they are no scallies and much cheaper drinks (as little as 50p each)

My friend spent something like £15 on 50p beer in 5th Ave on Monday night once. He was a bit drunk to say the least.

My friends are always going on about how awesome the place is, but I can't go with them because I have no id. :frown:
amazingtrade

In the weekends its nice just to local bars rather than go into the city centre with all the scallie masses coming down from all over the North West.

That bad? Well if they're coming from all over manchester (NW Manchester, aaarggh) and Bolton, then it won't be great, true...
Reply 4
bono
That bad? Well if they're coming from all over manchester (NW Manchester, aaarggh) and Bolton, then it won't be great, true...

I meant all over the North West including cheshire, lancashire etc. Its often the none mancs that cause the trouble as they've been banned from all their local clubs.

To be fair I've only had one problem with scallies at weekends and that was last night.

5th Ave is just too big now though, the bouncers should only let people in with university cards that should get rid of most of the trouble. Having said that my mates not a student.
amazingtrade
I meant all over the North West including cheshire, lancashire etc. Its often the none mancs that cause the trouble as they've been banned from all their local clubs.

To be fair I've only had one problem with scallies at weekends and that was last night.

5th Ave is just too big now though, the bouncers should only let people in with university cards that should get rid of most of the trouble. Having said that my mates not a student.

Or just stop scallies from entering the club. :smile:
Reply 6
I've been to 5th ave a few times - never again. I really didn't like the atmosphere and the men were leary. 42's is the place to be, or the Lux club , a haven from the meat market that is Wigan.
Reply 7
bono
Or just stop scallies from entering the club. :smile:

They try but unless you be very stereotypical and not let skinheads in you will get scallies. NUS entry is meaningless as anybody can do any sh*tty course at a local college and get an NUS.

Siana - Yep I love 42nd street, it always seems a bit too quite though so my mates don't like going. I personly think its one of Manchester's best kept secret clubs. 5th have has just gone down hill, maybe next september they will change the formula for the new students and it will be better again.
amazingtrade
They try but unless you be very stereotypical and not let skinheads in you will get scallies. NUS entry is meaningless as anybody can do any sh*tty course at a local college and get an NUS.

Siana - Yep I love 42nd street, it always seems a bit too quite though so my mates don't like going. I personly think its one of Manchester's best kept secret clubs. 5th have has just gone down hill, maybe next september they will change the formula for the new students and it will be better again.

That's the problem, yes. They could always play the "prjeudiced" or "you';re unfairly stereotyping" card. It wouldn't work/be accepted in practice.
Reply 9
bono
That's the problem, yes. They could always play the "prjeudiced" or "you';re unfairly stereotyping" card. It wouldn't work/be accepted in practice.

Exactly. Its such a shame that a couple of scallies can ruin though. I reckon that club was 1/20 scallies.
I think that's the difference when it comes to 42's. I've seen the door staff turn away loads of people, particularly groups or even individual scallies so there's a really good mix of people who aren't out to drink White Lightning and "f*****g smash yer face in la"! Think I've worked out the formula - it all come down to the shirt.

The best nights to go are Tuesdays and Saturdays. On those nights your likely to see the lesser-spotted Sian flitting around from indie boy to indie boy. Memories.......
Reply 11
Lol the last time I went to 42nd street I had my coat on the entire time even on the dance floor, the bouncers didn't seem to care one bit. There just never seems to be any trouble there.

Nobody seems to have heared of the Brickhouse so it must be quite empty.
Reply 12
5th Ave is OK every so often, but I went through a stage of going there every week and it just became boring (the same music every time, same people, etc). However, if your just out to pull and drink cheap alcohol, its perfect as its full of horny young boys and girls, and during the week there is almost always some sort of drinks deal (£1 a vodka & red bull...score!).

However, I think the best thing to do in Manchester is simply go everywhere and try everything out (even if its somewhere with a bad rep - you may surprise yourself!). There is sooo much to do. My advice is simply thoroughly examine all the clubs and bars along Canal St, Oxford Rd and Deansgate Locks (as well as 100s of others). One thing is guaranteed: you'll never get bored.
Reply 13
Deansgate Locks is really good for just sittin down n chillin! u have to get dressed up tho and then if u wanna go somewhere to dance n stuff theres the downstairs of THE bar, plays really good music aswell!!!!
Reply 14
kirstenb
Deansgate Locks is really good for just sittin down n chillin! u have to get dressed up tho and then if u wanna go somewhere to dance n stuff theres the downstairs of THE bar, plays really good music aswell!!!!

Yeah thats kind of the problem, the indie people don't believe in dressing up. This why we only tend to go to Manchester for the clubs now, there is so many good bars not in the city centre which don't get any trouble and have no dress code.

Latest