The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone else for Natural Sciences?

Hi,

I'm starting with the OU and doing natural sciences in October. Just wondering if anyone else is? Nice to have people to talk too :smile:
I'm not doing that but I am doing the somewhat related mathematics and physics course. In the first year we'll both be doing the exploring science module, and depending on what you choose to do from there, there may be some overlap.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi,

Yup starting this one in October. Excited, but nervous about the S141 module which was compulsory :/
Me too.. my maths isnt great really :frown: but I arnt starting that one just yet!
I am in my final year of my natural science degree (biology and chemistry) if you want to know anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kjglen24
I am in my final year of my natural science degree (biology and chemistry) if you want to know anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find S141? I'm dreading it to be honest lol.

I'm following the Geology route, but have aspects of biol, chem and phys in the first year, then it gets to the actual stuff I want to study lol.
Original post by GeoSam1986
How did you find S141? I'm dreading it to be honest lol.

I'm following the Geology route, but have aspects of biol, chem and phys in the first year, then it gets to the actual stuff I want to study lol.

S141 is a boring course but it's not difficult... The maths is a-level standard but it explains it in very good detail... My advice is if your worried get hold of the books or PDF versions and study now!! Give you a massive advantage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kjglen24
S141 is a boring course but it's not difficult... The maths is a-level standard but it explains it in very good detail... My advice is if your worried get hold of the books or PDF versions and study now!! Give you a massive advantage

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thanks, will take a look for it.
Reply 8
I'm doing natural sciences this year as well :smile:
I'm on the biology pathway.

I was originally doing S104 and S141 last year but deferred in April due to health reasons so I'll be starting them back up in October along with a new module. S104 I will be starting from scratch and I've banked my scores for the tests I have done so far with S141 and obviously the new modules (SK143) I'll be doing from scratch :smile:
Reply 9
Have any of you who are signed up to start S104 in Oct also doing the free 4 week maths and numbers course that starts on Monday?

Here's the description of the module copied from the site

Basic Science: Understanding Numbers

This course explains how you can use numbers to describe the natural world and make sense of everything from atoms to oceans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Considering this course myself to start in October (few more weeks till deadline) or perhaps February. I'm currently 25 and the thought of being 31/32 before qualifying is a bit off putting, but I guess its now or never. I don't have an A-level in Maths or Science but have BB at GCSE, is this a problem?
Original post by open2learn
Considering this course myself to start in October (few more weeks till deadline) or perhaps February. I'm currently 25 and the thought of being 31/32 before qualifying is a bit off putting, but I guess its now or never. I don't have an A-level in Maths or Science but have BB at GCSE, is this a problem?

Hello mate... 25 years age to start isn't old at all, however you can graduate a lot quicker than the age of 31/32... that would mean doing the degree a lot quicker than 6 years (which a lot of people including myself have done)

You won't need maths/science at A-level as your L1 course will bring you up to scratch, it does ramp up in intensity towards the end but you will have skills to cope with it by then

Have you thought about what pathway you want to go down (i.e what science) I can advise you further then :smile:
Original post by Lambert87
Hello mate... 25 years age to start isn't old at all, however you can graduate a lot quicker than the age of 31/32... that would mean doing the degree a lot quicker than 6 years (which a lot of people including myself have done)

You won't need maths/science at A-level as your L1 course will bring you up to scratch, it does ramp up in intensity towards the end but you will have skills to cope with it by then

Have you thought about what pathway you want to go down (i.e what science) I can advise you further then :smile:

Oh thats good to know, thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm leaning towards Chemistry or Earth Sciences. I really enjoy learning about Physics and the planets but my Maths skills are horrendous. After reading the 'Essential Mathematics 1' module content for the Physics route I doubt I'll cope. As for career, I'm initially thinking teaching but that may change once I learn more about potential career routes. Have you held down a job whilst studying? What career in Science are you working towards?

Also, my current salary is pushing 21k and will rise in years to come so how does that work around finance repayment? will I be paying whilst I study and work?
Original post by open2learn
Oh thats good to know, thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm leaning towards Chemistry or Earth Sciences. I really enjoy learning about Physics and the planets but my Maths skills are horrendous. After reading the 'Essential Mathematics 1' module content for the Physics route I doubt I'll cope. As for career, I'm initially thinking teaching but that may change once I learn more about potential career routes. Have you held down a job whilst studying? What career in Science are you working towards?

Also, my current salary is pushing 21k and will rise in years to come so how does that work around finance repayment? will I be paying whilst I study and work?

I am on a biology and chemistry route... At L1 you do all the sciences so you will find what you like the best.. I absolutely LOATHE physics (I also hate maths)

I am an accountant and have held that job down whilst studying at a full time pace too so it is doable (although hard to work full time and study full time)

Doesn't matter if you earn over 21k doesn't come into affect until after you graduate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi - I'm starting S104 in October :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending