The Student Room Group

Volume of a fraction of a sphere

Say you cut a sphere 25% into its diameter of diameter 8 metres, what would the volume be of the object that remains?

I need a formula for the volume at any % inset, if one exists.
Reply 1
Do you mean cut it with a plane orthogonal to the diameter, cutting the diameter at a point 25% away from one of the edges?

And which bit do you want the volume for?
Original post by Elcor
Say you cut a sphere 25% into its diameter of diameter 8 metres, what would the volume be of the object that remains?

I need a formula for the volume at any % inset, if one exists.

Can you quickly provide a diagram? I'm not sure what you mean either (I can guess but I'd rather answer the question you are posing).
I suspect you are after this but quote me if you actually want something else.
Original post by Mr M

That was what I pictured too :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M

Thanks Mr M, I tried finding the answer by Googling the thread title, but apparently the only way to get the answer online is by knowing what a 'spherical cap' is.
Original post by Elcor
Thanks Mr M, I tried finding the answer by Googling the thread title, but apparently the only way to get the answer online is by knowing what a 'spherical cap' is.

By the way, as you have taken A2 maths, I would have expected you to be able to derive this for yourself.

The equation of a semicircle centre (r, 0) radius r is:

y=x(2rx)y=\sqrt{x(2r-x)}

Now find the volume of revolution between 0 and h where h is the distance from the pole along the radius towards the centre (along the x axis).
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
By the way, as you have taken A2 maths, I would have expected you to be able to derive this for yourself.

y=x(2rx)y=\sqrt{x(2r-x)}

Now find the volume of revolution between 0 and h where h is the distance from the pole along the radius towards the centre (along the x axis).

Nice, despite not doing any integration for a while I ended up with the second equation for the volume on that Wiki article.
Original post by Mr M

y=x(2rx)y=\sqrt{x(2r-x)}

And note that with only a little handwaving, you can justify differentiating the final result (43πr3\dfrac{4}{3} \pi r^3) w.r.t. r to get the surface area of a sphere (which is significantly harder to find directly).

[I know you know this, but I still think it's kind of cool].
Reply 9
Original post by DFranklin
And note that with only a little handwaving, you can justify differentiating the final result (43πr3\dfrac{4}{3} \pi r^3) w.r.t. r to get the surface area of a sphere (which is significantly harder to find directly).

[I know you know this, but I still think it's kind of cool].

I always found that really interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest