The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry

At GCSE I was getting a mixture of A's and A*'s in mock exams.
In the exams I think I got:

C1- A ( did last year)
C2- A/B
C3- A/A*

So I might come out with an A or B

I was wondering, if i got a B at GCSE would it be like impossible to get an A/B at AS??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marcusroye98

C1- A ( did last year)
C2- A/B
C3- A/A*

I was wondering, if i got a B at GCSE would it be like impossible to get an A/B at AS??

No. But be warned that AS Chemistry is much, much more difficult than GCSE Chemistry. So if you do take Chemistry for AS, you're going to have to really knuckle down and work as hard as you can.
Original post by Chlorophile
No. But be warned that AS Chemistry is much, much more difficult than GCSE Chemistry. So if you do take Chemistry for AS, you're going to have to really knuckle down and work as hard as you can.

Okie dokie thanks!
What exam board did you do??
I disagree. It isn't ridiculously hard or much much harder than GCSE.

Just work at it and you'll be fine.
Original post by carrrot123
AS Chemistry is really ridiculously hard!!! I got an a* at GSCE, started AS and gave up after the first term because I just could not do it! but I'm sure if you're determined and focused you can do it :smile:

Thanks!
It was the one subject i felt really confident for but i think I have messed up XD
Original post by L'Evil Fish

My plan is just to go over everything i did in class at home from the very start??
My plan is just to go over everything i did in class at home from the very start??

Just go over your moles stuff. And basic acid + alkali (bases)

All I knew from GCSE tbh was a tiny bit of moles...

Maybe look at some energy levels, and oribtals as prep
Just go over your moles stuff. And basic acid + alkali (bases)

All I knew from GCSE tbh was a tiny bit of moles...

Maybe look at some energy levels, and oribtals as prep

I think we got set homework on energy levels so i will have a look at that :smile:
How did you find the ISA/ EMPA?
Okie dokie thanks!
What exam board did you do??

AQA, but I think this would be the same for all boards.

I think you'll find that you're the only one that holds that opinion. I honestly do not understand how you can say that AS Chemistry is not much harder than GCSE Chemistry. Even if you don't personally find it that difficult, you have to accept that it is still a massive step up.

I think you'll find that you're the only one that holds that opinion. I honestly do not understand how you can say that AS Chemistry is not much harder than GCSE Chemistry. Even if you don't personally find it that difficult, you have to accept that it is still a massive step up.

Is the maths side of chemistry hard at AS?
In my opinion AS Chemistry isn't that bad just a lot to remember A2 chemistry however....:lolwut:, What ever you do just don't go to a college/sixth form that does Edexcel chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

I slightly agree with Fish, the step up isn't too bad provided you're engaged and determined to do it on day 1 and also have good staff available.

I've just finished the AS course this year and it wasn't too bad, there were some topics where you'll want to bang your head against the wall because they take time to sink in and to correct the misconceptions from GCSE.

Be aware that I am one of the few candidates where chemistry is my strength and slight natural gift so I may be slightly biased.

Feel free to ask any chem questions

Also I recommend reading up on chem guide, that's where it's at if you truly want to understand chemistry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12

Nope, but it is desirable at A2. I've seen candidates manage without it but they have to spend more time going over the mathematical stuff.
Original post by zed963
I slightly agree with Fish, the step up isn't too bad provided you're engaged and determined to do it on day 1 and also have good staff available.

I've just finished the AS course this year and it wasn't too bad, there were some topics where you'll want to bang your head against the wall because they take time to sink in and to correct the misconceptions from GCSE.

Be aware that I am one of the few candidates where chemistry is my strength and slight natural gift so I may be slightly biased.

Also I recommend reading up on chem guide, that's where it's at if you truly want to understand chemistry.

Thanks!
Im sure i will need your help sometimes next year :biggrin:!!
Original post by zed963
Nope, but it is desirable at A2. I've seen candidates manage without it but they have to spend more time going over the mathematical stuff.

I achieved an A in GCSE Maths at the start of year 11, will i be able to manage?xD
Original post by uekp6956
In my opinion AS Chemistry isn't that bad just a lot to remember A2 chemistry however....:lolwut:, What ever you do just don't go to a college/sixth form that does Edexcel chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do AQA :P
Reply 16
Thanks!
Im sure i will need your help sometimes next year :biggrin:!!

Bring it on!!!

I'll give you another handy tip esp for AQA, never forget your unit 1 and 2 content since some of it returns in the last unit. Also coursework is a pain get a lot of practice titrating etc.

Oh and one of the major things that bugged me was significant figures and decimal places so bear that in mind.
I think we got set homework on energy levels so i will have a look at that :smile:
How did you find the ISA/ EMPA?

There we go them.

I'm OCR A, so we had ISAs. We were given some guidance as to what to expect so it was fine.

It's a step up, but not as much as its made out.

That's probably because I wasn't taught GCSE, and I found learning that stuff harder.

In terms of the level of mathematics required, no. It's just basic arithmetic. Most people still struggle with it though.

Original post by zed963

Again, I think you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm not saying that nobody finds it easy, but you and Fish are clearly very academically strong students and not particularly representative of the average AS Chemistry student. The overwhelming consensus I've got from most people on TSR and from people in my school is that it is a very big step up. Lots of people 'work at it' and they're not fine. That's not to say that this will be the case for everyone, I'm talking in general here.
(edited 9 years ago)

C1- A ( did last year)
C2- A/B
C3- A/A*

i got a* in c1 that I did in yr 10!!!!!
was your c1 exam in jan 2013????

Quick Reply

Latest