The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zed963
Bring it on!!!

I'll give you another handy tip esp for AQA, never forget your unit 1 and 2 content since some of it returns in the last unit. Also coursework is a pain get a lot of practice titrating etc.

Oh and one of the major things that bugged me was significant figures and decimal places so bear that in mind.

I am dreading it considering i need to get an A/B in AS Chem :frown:

Ive heard a lot of complaints about the ISA/EMPA
Reply 21
Original post by Marcusroye98
I achieved an A in GCSE Maths at the start of year 11, will i be able to manage?xD

It's hard to say, it depends totally on your mathematical ability. I know that in A2 we introduce logs like most science subjects do but I'm not sure whether you can manage.

If you can do maths, then go for it, It's an easy A at AS as most will agree.
Original post by Emerald123
i got a* in c1 that I did in yr 10!!!!!
was your c1 exam in jan 2013????

Im certain it was yep :smile:
Original post by zed963
It's hard to say, it depends totally on your mathematical ability. I know that in A2 we introduce logs like most science subjects do but I'm not sure whether you can manage.

If you can do maths, then go for it, It's an easy A at AS as most will agree.

I refuse to take AS MATHS D:
I did OCR chemistry. I fked up my AS because i simply didn't care. The maths at AS is really simple, you just have to be familiar with rearranging equations tbh. I found the A2 content fairly straightforward with only a few dodgy stuff, but i did work hard. Again, the maths is really simple, you only have to use logs for calculating ph, and u can use a countalator for that.

The exams are much more difficult than all the questions in the textbook for some reason.

I resat F321 and daaaaaaamn, it was a joke. I got an E in this exam last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Chlorophile
In terms of the level of mathematics required, no. It's just basic arithmetic. Most people still struggle with it though.

Again, I think you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm not saying that nobody finds it easy, but you and Fish are clearly very academically strong students and not particularly representative of the average AS Chemistry student. The overwhelming consensus I've got from most people on TSR and from people in my school is that it is a very big step up. Lots of people 'work at it' and they're not fine. That's not to say that this will be the case for everyone, I'm talking in general here.

Well I did keep on top of things, and ask questions and build understanding. I'm not saying it's completely easy because it isn't. I'm just saying hard work and dedication is what'll get you there also a good memory for A2 for learning all the complex ion colours.

Some of the topics that I got stuck on were bonding and a bit of equilibria and energetics.

But most of this was overcome by different ways of explaining concepts.
Reply 26
You have to REALLY want to do it, I got straight A's in all 3 modules in GCSE and I hated it, predicted A's in maths, physics and electronics, and a C/D in chem. Never really liked it though I just thought it'd be a good A level to have, don't do that. Only do it if it's something you really want to do.
Reply 27
I refuse to take AS MATHS D:

If you've got an A, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go, apart from the fact that its dry apart from the mechanics modules.
Reply 28
I am dreading it considering i need to get an A/B in AS Chem :frown:

Ive heard a lot of complaints about the ISA/EMPA

I did the EMPA, lol it's a nightmare.
Original post by zed963
Well I did keep on top of things, and ask questions and build understanding. I'm not saying it's completely easy because it isn't. I'm just saying hard work and dedication is what'll get you there also a good memory for A2 for learning all the complex ion colours.

Some of the topics that I got stuck on were bonding and a bit of equilibria and energetics.

But still, the level of work and sophistication of understanding required is much higher than at GCSE. Of course hard work and dedication will get you there - if you're fortunate enough to have that kind of brain in the first place - but that doesn't change the fact that it's still much harder than GCSE.
Original post by zed963

There's probs 4 colours max you gotta learn lol?? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zed963
If you've got an A, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go, apart from the fact that its dry apart from the mechanics modules.

I wouldnt know which subject to drop, I like all of my AS Options :smile:
Original post by zed963
I did the EMPA, lol it's a nightmare.

Why?:frown:
Im certain it was yep :smile:

Yay!!
that c1 exam was soooo hard!!!!!
i felt like crying after the exam as I thought I got an F but it turned out to be A*:smile:!
the teacher was like I thought you did bad?
Original post by zed963

Thanks!
I think I just have to hope for a good teacher aswell! :biggrin:
Get ready to learn a **** tonne of definitions as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumSuicide
I did OCR chemistry. I fked up my AS because i simply didn't care. The maths at AS is really simple, you just have to be familiar with rearranging equations tbh. I found the A2 content fairly straightforward with only a few dodgy stuff, but i did work hard. Again, the maths is really simple, you only have to use logs for calculating ph, and u can use a countalator for that.

The exams are much more difficult than all the questions in the textbook for some reason.

I resat F321 and daaaaaaamn, it was a joke. I got an E in this exam last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sure you would have done well this year!
Chemistry is the main part of the degree i want to study so I guess I will have to stick with it :P
Original post by Emerald123
Yay!!
that c1 exam was soooo hard!!!!!
i felt like crying after the exam as I thought I got an F but it turned out to be A*:smile:!
the teacher was like I thought you did bad?

OMG SAME HERE
I came thinking ive failed xD
I always think I have failed every exam XD
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Get ready to learn a **** tonne of definitions as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitions are annoying XD
At GCSE It was basically just theoretical and actual yield XD
OMG SAME HERE
I came thinking ive failed xD
I always think I have failed every exam XD

But on the c1 exam it had snowed in our area and so the school was nearly closed(only the people who had the exam came).they couldn't be bothered turn the radiators on so we were allowed to wear our coats but the inviligitar was looking at us so closely.My hands were literally shaking due to cold.too bad we couldn't wear our gloves!
Don't know how the examiner read my wobbly writing?

Quick Reply

Latest