The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

The Open University, Oxbridge and References

Hi all,

firstly, this is my first post on the forum so apologies if some of what I ask has been covered before.

I am currently studying BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences on the Earth Sciences pathway at the Open University, part time. I'm about to finish my first year and my my grades for modules are currently 83%, 92% and 95% and have achieved 100% in 3 assigments (OU sets distinction level at 85%)

Once I finish my course I hope to apply to Oxford to study a DPhil in Earth Sciences. Given my grades thus far and assuming
(fingers crossed) they stay at a similar level, do you think this is a realistic aim?

I have a couple of questions - perhaps aimed at other OU students that are now in post-graduate study - how did you go about gaining academic references? The course I'm aiming for requires 3, but I am not sure how to go about gaining these.

I am also somewhat concerned at the lack of practical experience my current course offers. The Earth Sciences module next year has a field trip, which I will attend, but I have also joined the OU Geological Society to get further experience in the field.

I guess what I am asking is for advice about how I should go about this whole idea...I have been reading the forums but feel a bit lost and confused!
Hi there

I completed my Open University degree 2 years ago. This was a BA(Hons) in Humanities with Classical Studies. I did this over 6 years whilst working full time, as my aim was to change careers. I found when applying for post graduate courses, a huge benefit was my range of voluntary experience. When I approached universities I was told that I could submit one OU reference (from my last tutor) and one work reference even though it had no relation to the MA courses. They were more interested in my commitment, ability, drive and enthusiasm. I only needed 2 references for my MA.

As you are in your first year you have time to build up (voluntary) experience and network at conferences. Don't be afraid to go - this will show how determined you are and will be seen very positively. That was the feedback I received.

Try speaking to your tutor or student services about gaining voluntary experience or look up relevant professional bodies and read around your area to find where you can volunteer.

Hope this helps.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Whilst the OU is very widely respected by other Universities, it is probably unrealistic to think of going straight from the OU to Oxford. You ave no experience of research, or of working at a conventional University. Someone with a First class 4 year MSc from an RG Uni might be in contention for a place at Oxbrdge - sadly you probably won't be. The competition is just so fierce, especially if you need funding (there is no automatic funding like SF at postgrad level) that you would probably loose out at the first sift - especially since you wont have convincing references. Oxbridge favours its own - you have to have impressive academic credentials to get over this if you are from any other Uni. A degree from the OU just isn't what they are looking for.

A better path would be to aim at a one year taught postgrad Masters or an MRes (Masters by research) at a conventional Uni (not Oxbridge) as an interim degree. This will allow you to sort out/refine a research idea, and get good quality references from academics that Oxford will have heard of. You are also far more likely to get funding for a PhD.
(edited 9 years ago)
First off, there's no reason why you can't do a PhD or DPhil after an OU BSc, at least in principle. As you've already figured out however, OU students face some disadvantages when applying for postgrad research.

References: It takes some nerve to ask for references from tutors you may never have met, but they are accustomed to this. Student services often 'manage' reference requests, but you can ask your tutors if you can use their direct email addresses. This may be quicker and is what most admissions folks are used to. You can also ask referees to email references directly to you. You can then upload these with some institutions (not sure about Oxford). Also, you will want to use your project supervisor for SXG390 as a reference if possible. This rings up the next major issue...

Lack of practical experience: This is one of the major downsides of studying science at the OU and will be a disadvantage when applying to postgraduate research. The research module SXG390 is as close as OU undergrads get to research experience, so you want to take this one and do well. Gaining field and/or lab skills in your area of interest by volunteering would be great too, if you're able to.

One obvious way to bolster your hands-on research experience, get extra references and dispel any doubts about your commitment or the OU in general, would be to do an MSc after your BSc.

It's good you're thinking about all these things early on but don't forget you have a long way to go and you may well decide to change your direction. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice everyone. Much to think about! I do have a degree from Leicester University too (computer science), but I wish to change career and escape data analytics and programming so that's why I'm studying Natural Sciences at the OU.

So masters is the way forward, even though it's not a requirement for the course? I'll investigate voluntary work in my spare time between modules.

The advice has been very helpful :smile:
Original post by kukulaka

So masters is the way forward, even though it's not a requirement for the course? I'll investigate voluntary work in my spare time between modules.

The advice has been very helpful :smile:

One thing I found applying for postgrad study is that the published entry requirements really are minimum requirements.

There have been OU grads who have gone on to postgrad research at Oxford but I think it would be an uphill battle to get onto a science DPhil programme without significant practical research experience.

One option would be to apply to your favoured DPhil programme plus some MSc courses as back up. I was in a similar situation this year and applied to a range of Phd and MSc programmes. I was selected for a Phd project but failed to secure funding... eventually I won funding for an Msc. With any luck this will put me in a stronger position finding funded Phds in the future.

Good luck plotting your course!
Reply 6
Original post by xenophile
One thing I found applying for postgrad study is that the published entry requirements really are minimum requirements.

There have been OU grads who have gone on to postgrad research at Oxford but I think it would be an uphill battle to get onto a science DPhil programme without significant practical research experience.

One option would be to apply to your favoured DPhil programme plus some MSc courses as back up. I was in a similar situation this year and applied to a range of Phd and MSc programmes. I was selected for a Phd project but failed to secure funding... eventually I won funding for an Msc. With any luck this will put me in a stronger position finding funded Phds in the future.

Good luck plotting your course!

Thanks again everyone. Now I'm in the first half of my second year (3rd year of degree in "normal time") I'm still certain this is the path I want to take.

I have seen that Oxford is currently offering 3.5 DTC in Earth Sciences - this will be my aim I think. Earth Science Msc (having researched a bit more) seem to be somewhat thin on the ground :frown:

Any Earth Science bods here that could give advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending