The Student Room Group

Give the Thread OP the power to delete posts.

Title says it all. It's a great idea. What could go wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree, I also think the OP should have the power to delete a thread they have made.
But then they could delete a perfectly good post simply because they don't agree with it or whatever, which is silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
But then they could delete a perfectly good post simply because they don't agree with it or whatever, which is silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with that. People would do dumb stuff like that, but so what, it is their thread I suppose. If they want to only allow opinions that side with them and have no real discussion... leave them to it :smile:
They should be able to delete their own thread but not other people's posts.
Reply 5
Original post by tania<3

This I agree with
Original post by tania<3

That's a really good idea.
Reply 7
Original post by tania<3

Original post by Reue
This I agree with

If you're the OP you can close the thread, so what's the advantage in being able to delete it?
Original post by Reue
This I agree with

This seems like the best compromise, so users don't skew the general feeling of the responses in an artificial way
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
If you're the OP you can close the thread, so what's the advantage in being able to delete it?

Users are already able to request deletion of their own threads through Ask A Moderator. May as well let them do it themselves and save us the hassle.
Reply 10
Original post by Reue
Users are already able to request deletion of their own threads through Ask A Moderator. May as well let them do it themselves and save us the hassle.

But when we say delete we're really talking about moving threads to the bin, which requires access to it. I'm not sure it would be straightforward to provide that kind of functionality since it's more than just tweaking user permissions.
Reply 11
Original post by miser
But when we say delete we're really talking about moving threads to the bin, which requires access to it. I'm not sure it would be straightforward to provide that kind of functionality since it's more than just tweaking user permissions.

I'm in approval of the concept, discussion of functionality can come later :biggrin:
Original post by Drewski

Yes, but the ability to close threads is a subscriber-only subscribers.
Original post by miser

I'm pretty sure that it's not, actually - or at least, doesn't have to be, depending on how it's implemented :tongue: There's a simple yes/no setting that can be changed (and set on a per-forum basis if desired) in the standard vBulletin settings:

Of course, this wouldn't be the same as the "move to bin" function used by the moderation team, but any member-deleted thread would still be accessible to (and could be restored by) the moderation team if needed.

Technicalities aside, I'd not necessarily be entirely in favour of this, as deleting your own thread still entails deleting others' posts in that thread - and I can see the potential for disruption that that could result in.
Original post by Illusionary

I'm pretty sure that it's not, actually - or at least, doesn't have to be, depending on how it's implemented :tongue: There's a simple yes/no setting that can be changed (and set on a per-forum basis if desired) in the standard vBulletin settings:

Of course, this wouldn't be the same as the "move to bin" function used by the moderation team, but any member-deleted thread would still be accessible to (and could be restored by) the moderation team if needed.

Technicalities aside, I'd not necessarily be entirely in favour of this, as deleting your own thread still entails deleting others' posts in that thread - and I can see the potential for disruption that that could result in.

Deleting a thread in that fashion removes it from searches iirc - which could be a problem for the moderation team.
Let the people of TSR delete their own threads at will, allow subs...
Reply 15
Yeah let people have the option to delete their threads
Original post by rmhumphries
Deleting a thread in that fashion removes it from searches iirc - which could be a problem for the moderation team.

Ah, that could be the case - certainly it would for those outside of the moderation team.
Reply 17

When I said I wasn't sure it would be straightforward, I meant about users moving threads to the bin, since bins are essentially a TSR customisation. Deleting outright (even if it can be restored) I think could be problematic.
Original post by miser
When I said I wasn't sure it would be straightforward, I meant about users moving threads to the bin, since bins are essentially a TSR customisation. Deleting outright (even if it can be restored) I think could be problematic.

Any vBulletin forum can have hidden forums like TSR's Bins, but yes, I agree that it's unlikely to be straightforward to allow members to move threads to those forums without also giving additional permissions that wouldn't be desirable.
Any vBulletin forum can have hidden forums like TSR's Bins, but yes, I agree that it's unlikely to be straightforward to allow members to move threads to those forums without also giving additional permissions that wouldn't be desirable.

Wouldn't be straightforward = nigh on impossible. At least not without spending a chunk of dev time implementing a feature that wouldn't be desirable in the first place.

Quick Reply