The Student Room Group

Are Arsenal ready to dominate the Premier League again?

Arsenal are undeniably one of the best teams to ever play in the top tier of English football. However, it's no secret that in recent years they've struggled to really achieve anything other than Champions League qualification.

What most people don't realise is that Arsenal aren't like most other top Premier League clubs. Arsenal operates a business before a football club. Arsenal do not spend much money on transfers compared to all of the other top clubs in England. This is due to the fact that Arsenal built the Emirates Stadium, and instead of going into load of debt like most clubs would, Arsenal ensured that they still made a profit my minimising their spending.

Arsenal have paid off the Emirates Stadium and have since signed the likes of Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez. With no debt and huge amounts of money coming into the club I can only see Arsenal signing more and more world class players and getting stronger and stronger. I think that Arsenal are going to beat the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City to the Premier League title within the next 3 years and I am curious to know what other people think, as I know not many people were aware that Arsenal were paying off the Emirates Stadium. Opinions?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I needed a good laugh today.
Reply 2
Need a few more players.
Reply 3
Dominate? Definitely not. No team will dominate like Bayern does in the Bundesliga.

Challenge the league title? Probably - then again, everyone said that last season until January/February ish
Reply 4
Original post by jacobt96

What most people don't realise is that Arsenal aren't like most other top Premier League clubs. Arsenal operates a business before a football club. Arsenal do not spend much money on transfers compared to all of the other top clubs in England

Fairly sure this is common knowledge.
Not if they don't sort out their injury problems
Reply 6
Okay, maybe dominate was a bit excessive but I definitely think they can and will challenge for (and win) the title. I think they would have won it last season if Theo Walcott didn't get injured. Up until that point Ozil was probably the best midfielder in the league. Ozil is used to playing with pacey forwards such as Ronaldo, Benzema and Di Maria, so when Walcott gets injured and he's stuck with Giroud there's no hope.
Reply 7
Original post by Jkizer
Dominate? Definitely not. No team will dominate like Bayern does in the Bundesliga.

Challenge the league title? Probably - then again, everyone said that last season until January/February ish

Bayern do not dominate the Bundesliga, in recent years they have been scrapping with BvB Dortmund and its been quite a close battle (Dortmund won back to back titles in 10/11 and 11/12). If you want to see domination look at teams like Celtic in the SPL.

To OP, I think a much better question is whether Arsenal are ready to win the Premier League, and to that I would say yes. Dominate? No, no current team is able to dominate the league the same way the old Arsenal or Man Utd used to.
Reply 8
Okay, maybe dominate was a bit excessive but I definitely think they can and will challenge for (and win) the title. I think they would have won it last season if Theo Walcott didn't get injured. Up until that point Ozil was probably the best midfielder in the league. Ozil is used to playing with pacey forwards such as Ronaldo, Benzema and Di Maria, so when Walcott gets injured and he's stuck with Giroud there's no hope.

Walcott? How about Walcott, Ramsey, Wilshere, the Ox, Diaby, Ozil etc. No doubt they would have been in at least 3rd place or higher.
If it werent for the plastic billionaire clubs then Arsenal would probably win 3/4 titles in the next 5 years...
Reply 10
Original post by BenAssirati
Bayern do not dominate the Bundesliga, in recent years they have been scrapping with BvB Dortmund and its been quite a close battle (Dortmund won back to back titles in 10/11 and 11/12). If you want to see domination look at teams like Celtic in the SPL./QUOTE]
And Celtic have been scrapping with Rangers. Again close battle with Rangers winning the 8/9, 9/10, 10/11 title. And they weren't exactly too far from the league title in 11/12 (10 points if you look beyond the administration penalty)

There isn't really too much of a difference, except that the Bundesliga have stronger teams that also are able to attract very good players unlike SPL's 2nd/3rd place teams.
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
There isn't really too much of a difference, except that the Bundesliga have stronger teams that also are able to attract very good players unlike SPL's 2nd/3rd place teams.

SPL's 1st team aren't that good at attracting very good players themselves, although they don't really need to.
We need a world class striker!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Mario_leufft
We need a world class striker!

Easy to say. Virtually all world class strikers are playing for the biggest clubs in the world and it would be very difficult and expensive to try and convince them to move to Arsenal. Also, how many of these strikers play for clubs who are willing to sell them?
Reply 14
Original post by BenAssirati
Bayern do not dominate the Bundesliga, in recent years they have been scrapping with BvB Dortmund and its been quite a close battle (Dortmund won back to back titles in 10/11 and 11/12). If you want to see domination look at teams like Celtic in the SPL.

To OP, I think a much better question is whether Arsenal are ready to win the Premier League, and to that I would say yes. Dominate? No, no current team is able to dominate the league the same way the old Arsenal or Man Utd used to.

It's not been a close battle between Dortmund and Bayern the past 2 seasons. Bayern won their league by March the past two seasons.
Reply 15
Easy to say. Virtually all world class strikers are playing for the biggest clubs in the world and it would be very difficult and expensive to try and convince them to move to Arsenal. Also, how many of these strikers play for clubs who are willing to sell them?

Then you need to develop one. Strikers seem to be particularly difficult to develop though.
Reply 16

Theo Walcott wouldn't have prevented Arsenal from getting thrashed 6-0 and 5-1 by Chelsea and Liverpool respectively. Yes, they needed more quality players last season (Alexis Sanchez is a brilliant signing), but they also have to change their whole mentality when they face a top 6 team away. If they want to BE champions, they have to act like champions.

This is just not a one-time thing, they lose against the top sides away every season. I still believe it's the way Wenger coaches them before the big games. He doesn't express how important these games are, for the table and for the morale of the team. Mourinho always makes sure the players know how important the big games are.
Reply 17
Original post by AnharM
Theo Walcott wouldn't have prevented Arsenal from getting thrashed 6-0 and 5-1 by Chelsea and Liverpool respectively. Yes, they needed more quality players last season (Alexis Sanchez is a brilliant signing), but they also have to change their whole mentality when they face a top 6 team away. If they want to BE champions, they have to act like champions.

This is just not a one-time thing, they lose against the top sides away every season. I still believe it's the way Wenger coaches them before the big games. He doesn't express how important these games are, for the table and for the morale of the team. Mourinho always makes sure the players know how important the big games are.

Good point tbh. Even with the tactics argument they had Ramsey and Walcott vs City and still conceded 6 goals...
Reply 18
Original post by AnharM

I think it's because they go in there thinking they will lose. The ManU games from last season are a good example. They should have beat them easily, but like you say, they lack a winning mentality. Don't think the FA cup will cure this, either.

That said I do hope very fervently that Arsenal win the league soon. :yep:

Lewandovski was up for Grabs before he moved to Bayern,
We have a chance of signing Mario Balotelli, Carlos Vela (for peanuts!)
Edinson Cavani is edging for a move to the PL (big name, although i don't rate him)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest