The Student Room Group

Relationships with guys who game?

I'm a girl and I have quite a few interests. I read, mainly, but I also game, watch anime and read comics. Naturally, I'd like to be in a relationship with somebody who has similar interests to me, but the problem is that I don't game enough/watch enough anime/read enough comics to really call any of them a hobby, at least by guys' standards. For example, I was talking to a guy that I just met a few days ago and I mentioned that I gamed a bit, after he asked. He started rattling on about all this gaming terminology that I had no idea of and then when he finally realised that I was lost, he accused me of being one of those girls who fakes being into stuff for attention from guys! I do game, I mainly play Halo, Team Fortress and Dota, yet he was quick to dimiss me. The same happens with anime, comics etc.
Why is this always happening, and how can I prevent it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just say you're a casual gamer.
The person you met was probably a competitive gamer then, as opposed to a more relaxed gamer. Competitive gamers always come up with these terminologies, like triple, choke etcetera. You can't expect to always understand the terminologies used, since most of them are specific to a particular game (The two I mentioned are specific to COD and FPS games alike)

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and I have quite a few interests. I read, mainly, but I also game, watch anime and read comics. Naturally, I'd like to be in a relationship with somebody who has similar interests to me, but the problem is that I don't game enough/watch enough anime/read enough comics to really call any of them a hobby, at least by guys' standards. For example, I was talking to a guy that I just met a few days ago and I mentioned that I gamed a bit, after he asked. He started rattling on about all this gaming terminology that I had no idea of and then when he finally realised that I was lost, he accused me of being one of those girls who fakes being into stuff for attention from guys! I do game, I mainly play Halo, Team Fortress and Dota, yet he was quick to dimiss me. The same happens with anime, comics etc.

(edited 9 years ago)
I get what you mean, I'm a 'gamer' not by guys standards but a gamer nonetheless,
I play to enjoy myself, I don't know about terminology nor do I care, if I wanted to care I'd ask my brother,
I play games like the last of us, uncharted, god of war, batman arkum asylum, KOTOR and so no one can tell me I attention seek cause I never really tell people unless they ask me,
Boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like two of the most nerdy 'hardcore' games.

You have excellent gamer credentials :tongue:

Also people who play games are not all the same. Just like everyone who reads a certain genre of books are not the same. You don't have to get on with every single person who plays video games.
(edited 9 years ago)

Switch from playing Team Fortress to Counterstrike then we'll talk :colone:

Maybe they just need to diversify there interests a little bit? I'd just say that you play every so often. Dismissing someone for not gaming enough a little sad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there :smile:
He's obviously immature, yeah sure poke fun "Oh you're that type of gamer eh?!" but yeah. Don't talk to or date elitists, no matter the subject. I went out with a girl who was very horrible against my music taste "Oh they're not a real rock band" etc. It's not just guys or girls who do this, nor is it confined to just gaming, it's everyone.
Reply 8
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Switch from playing Team Fortress to Counterstrike then we'll talk :colone:

Maybe they just need to diversify there interests a little bit? I'd just say that you play every so often. Dismissing someone for not gaming enough a little sad.

Haven't actually tried out counterstrike, but my friend has recommended it :tongue:

Yeah, I'll just say that next time. Though in my defense, I did say that I gamed 'a bit'.
There is a difference between someone who plays games for fun and a full out nerd , this guy was one of the latter.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Hi there :smile:

Hello?

I'm sorry to hear this, he's obviously a bit of an a**.

There are a lot of guys like this that have these interests which I will explain in a minute. However this is a unique case! Don't worry, not all guys are like that. I have the same interests as you btw, so I'm talking from experience :smile:

Guys with these interest tend to be geeky ofc :smile: And I certainly am! We also tend to be quite insecure and cautious of people who don't have these interests. I'd say this is because we are used to or have had people mocking our interests and stuff before :smile: So he probably questioned your real interests in the subject when you displayed a lack of knowledge in the technology and automatically judged you. Which he certainly shouldn't have done! You don't even need to have the knowledge of the tech to have those interests!! If you come across people like that again, just ignore them :smile: As for how to prevent it, if you really want to prevent it, learn about it. But you don't need to, if people want to be awkward, ignore them. Plenty of guys who won't have that attitude towards you... like me :smile:

Don't let them stop you gaming and watching anime and all the other good stuff :smile: You don't need to be put off by people like that :smile:

PM me if you want, I love a good chat about games and anime :biggrin:

Hope this helped though :smile:
I used to play too much Dota to be socially acceptable :frown: lol. I got really into it because of my ex, it was really great for our relationship that we both played because we understood stuff which could have been difficult in a gamer/non-gamer relationship e.g. can't just pause/quit the game to reply to texts because we have 4 other people relying on us. Plus when it came to TI3/4 we'd watch games together and discuss it.

As mentioned earlier just start describing yourself as a "casual gamer" say that you do like to play from time to time but you have a lot of other interests too
Reply 13
Too many DOTA players in here. Wer's ma leeg crew at?

And OP just say you're a casual gamer.
Tell them 'guess whose not getting laid now'

Never had that problem. I'm a casual gamer too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dota 2 master race crew checking in.

Actually got a few irl mates into it too - pretty nice playing a few games with them in the evening, especially as we're living all round the country currently. It's an easy way to catch up just chilling on skype and playing.

@OP he was probably a goon. Some gamers are goons, some are relatively normal.
Original post by illusionz
Actually got a few irl mates into it too - pretty nice playing a few games with them in the evening, especially as we're living all round the country currently. It's an easy way to catch up just chilling on skype and playing.

Exactly! People make out like gaming is really loserish and anti social but it's actually a really great way to hang out with friends and meet new people
Original post by xOHarriet
I used to play too much Dota to be socially acceptable :frown: lol. I got really into it because of my ex, it was really great for our relationship that we both played because we understood stuff which could have been difficult in a gamer/non-gamer relationship e.g. can't just pause/quit the game to reply to texts because we have 4 other people relying on us. Plus when it came to TI3/4 we'd watch games together and discuss it.

As mentioned earlier just start describing yourself as a "casual gamer" say that you do like to play from time to time but you have a lot of other interests too

Yeah, Dota 2 is really sucking me in. I spent 5 hours on it today thinking it was about an hour. Time flies whilst playing, I guess. The no pause thing is annoying though because my mum is one of those people who thinks up a chore for me to do like every 5 minutes. So it's either ignore my mum or face the wrath of the people I'm playing with
Yeah, Dota 2 is really sucking me in. I spent 5 hours on it today thinking it was about an hour. Time flies whilst playing, I guess. The no pause thing is annoying though because my mum is one of those people who thinks up a chore for me to do like every 5 minutes. So it's either ignore my mum or face the wrath of the people I'm playing with

Yeah I can easily spend an entire day on it - I have 3 groups of friends who I play with regularly, one that play in the day, one that play in the evening and one that play into the early hours of the morning, on a few occasions now each time I've gone to sign out after finishing with one group the next group have talked me into playing with them haha.

Parents don't get it and never will! I had my dad turn the computer off at the wall once lol! Got an abandon and everything :frown:

PM me if you want and we'll play together some time if you fancy it, I literally know like 1 other girl who plays haha
Original post by noshahmad
I get what you mean, I'm a 'gamer' not by guys standards but a gamer nonetheless,
I play to enjoy myself, I don't know about terminology nor do I care, if I wanted to care I'd ask my brother,
I play games like the last of us, uncharted, god of war, batman arkum asylum, KOTOR and so no one can tell me I attention seek cause I never really tell people unless they ask me,
Boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Played the 2nd one too?:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending