The Student Room Group

EU/Overseas student trying to get SF

Hi everyone! Quick question...

I was born and raised in Argentina, but I have a Spanish passport. I moved to England 3 months ago and I'd like to study, but I was told I can't get SF until I have spent 3 years somewhere in the EU, or UK. Thing is, the more I wait the more I lose my practice, I don't want to lose 3 years.
Does anyone know if there are exceptions, or different ways of getting SF?
Reply 1
I'm afraid not. The 3 year residency rule (you must have lived in the UK for 3 years before the start of your course) applies to everyone. Even UK citizens with UK passports who have been living overseas.

If you spend your 3 years in the EU outside the UK, you will only qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan. If you want the full Student Finance package (Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and a means-tested Maintenance Grant), you will need to spend those 3 years in the UK.

Plus in order to qualify, you must have come here for reasons other than education i.e. You can't move here with the sole or main intention of studying or building up qualifying residency so that you can get Student Finance. You need to have moved here for e.g. a job, or to follow family.

Basically, the student funding system in the UK is now geared to exclude people who have never contributed to it. The 3 year rule acknowledges that you are likely to have worked and paid tax during that time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you!!

Well, I'm here for good, I'd like to live in England indefinitely, so I'll just have to wait and work in the mean time. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by martu
Thank you!!

Well, I'm here for good, I'd like to live in England indefinitely, so I'll just have to wait and work in the mean time. Thank you! :smile:

It'll be worth the wait -good luck!
After three years, you can get money from SFE :wink: provided you fulfil their other requirements too.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest