The Student Room Group

Is there any point in men getting married in modern society?

I've been thinking about it recently and I've been wondering if there are any real tangible benefits to men getting married these days?

I've spoken to various married couples and what I've noticed is that their partners tend to change significantly after marriage, and for the majority of cases this is for the worse e.g. less sex, taking less care of their appearance, more mood swings etc.

Also with the prospect of getting married there is a high chance of getting divorced. I know a lot of couples will say that this won't happen to them but we have to be pragmatic, why enter into a marriage when there is a high chance of failure. Also, when you get divorced you face the prospects of losing access and custody to your kids and 50% of your assets.

My problem with marriage comes down to the fact that a lot of girls actually want to have the the dream wedding, rather than getting married. It seems that once girls get to the age 28,29,30 and they see all their friends getting married they feel jealous and want to get married out of sheer envy.

I've also seen men complain that once they get married their wives who were quite horny and wanted sex a lot of the time become less interested in sex, and they have to beg their wives to have sex with them which I find pathetic. I think this would be quite a problem as I have quite a high sex drive and if my wife felt completely uninterested after sex I would feel quite angry and resentful of getting married.

I personally think women like marriage because it gives them security that it makes a man harder to leave them and leverage in the relationship which they can exploit further by denying the man from sex.

I personally believe that marriage has very few potential benefits for men and a lot of costs.

Do you guys think there is any benefit for men getting married apart from a few tax savings here and there.

Scroll to see replies

Seen this thread before but just came in to post that there are no exclusive benefits to marriage for men, except maybe the tax breaks. Everything else you gain from it can also be gained in another way.

It's a no to marriage from me.
Pretty sure men like the security of having a lifelong partner just as much as women do...

...of course there are benefits otherwise men wouldn't bother.

You know, both sides have to commit to form a marriage.
Original post by wannabeaca
Pretty sure men like the security of having a lifelong partner just as much as women do...

...of course there are benefits otherwise men wouldn't bother.

You know, both sides have to commit to form a marriage.

You can have a "lifelong partner" without being married to them. Besides half the time marriage isn't even lifelong anyway.
I'm pretty sure you get a tax break for being married. That is a pretty good incentive.
I don't think there is any point to it tbh. Most girls want to wear a pretty dress and be a princess for day, cant even fathom what's in it for the guy (there must be something, my boyfriend thinks it's weird I don't want to get married because he does - not to me.. Just in general)
Original post by DiddyDec
I'm pretty sure you get a tax break for being married. That is a pretty good incentive.

So you're basically betting half of your money on the marriage working out for the return of a small tax break?
I recently read an article saying that men come out of divorces with more money than before so possibly. Not sure if it's true though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can only hope I don't ever get with a girl set on getting married , once they get the fantasy in there head if you don't give it to them your considered a douche by them and everyone else . Only for them to leave with half later down the line .
Original post by orange crush
So you're basically betting half of your money on the marriage working out for the return of a small tax break?

If I ever get a wife and she divorces me and then tries to take my money I would just leave the country or kill her, one of the two. More likely have her disappear. Bitches be crazy.
What is the point in women getting married in modern society?!?!
Muslim men can marry up to 4 women and practically they would threaten their first wife - to marry over her - if she denied them sex
Original post by ldsbabe

Erm security in the relationship making it harder for the man to leave, likely to get custody of children, likely to get a favourable divorce settlement etc the list goes on
Yes, if she has a significant dowry :wink:
Original post by kendricksmith
Erm security in the relationship making it harder for the man to leave, likely to get custody of children, likely to get a favourable divorce settlement etc the list goes on

You're just generalising and making a huge blanket statement.

I'm sure your attitude will change with maturity.
Original post by ldsbabe
You're just generalising and making a huge blanket statement.

I'm sure your attitude will change with maturity.

I'd like to believe I'm quite mature and rational as it is, you still haven't listed the reasons for men to get married. I know many mature older men who share my view of not wanting to get married, I have seen too many men get burnt because of marriage and I will not be one of them.
I'd like to believe I'm quite mature and rational as it is, you still haven't listed the reasons for men to get married. I know many mature older men who share my view of not wanting to get married, I have seen too many men get burnt because of marriage and I will not be one of them.

Firstly, are you actually called Kendrick?
Original post by ldsbabe

Yes my first name is Kendrick, is there any reason for this question?
Original post by ldsbabe

Probably so they can take a man for half his salary and keep the kids.

Original post by ldsbabe

Bit of a racist question this nah? Like asking a rape victim what she was wearing.
Yes my first name is Kendrick, is there any reason for this question?

Not really a reason I just love that name and have never really heard of anyone called it (apart from the rapper Kendrick Lamar haha).

Quick Reply