The Student Room Group

Ask a chemical engineering student anything!

So I've just finished my first year at Aston University and remember the numerous questions I had when I was going into uni this time last year. So I'll try to help the best I can.
Fire away!

Scroll to see replies

hows the maths? is there actually any chemistry?
Reply 2
Maths wasn't too bad. We had 2 core maths modules, one in January and the other in May. January one was a bag of piss, May was slightly harder but still okay. Maths come up in a few other modules too but its basic, its more knowing what to do as you're applying it to things you haven't come across before i.e reactors, seperators etc.
First year is where you come across the most Chemistry (speaking to students in other years) but its still not a lot. I'd say about 30% of the first year is chemistry. Again this was all straight forward. This will vary between different uni's but should be something similar.
Thanks for taking the time to do this! How full is your timetable compared to your friends on other courses? The mock timetable I was given seems pretty full compared to my friend's timetable (she's going to be studying law)
Do you take notes?

Would you recommend any books to help in the first year?

Thanks. :smile:
What is your opinion about fracking? Should we be worried about it? Will it really create tens of thousands of jobs ?
Reply 6
Original post by CrimsonStrike54
Thanks for taking the time to do this! How full is your timetable compared to your friends on other courses? The mock timetable I was given seems pretty full compared to my friend's timetable (she's going to be studying law)

My first year was pretty packed, about 22 hours a week. Surprising that law didn't have a lot, but I wouldn't know.
Original post by addylad
Do you take notes?

Would you recommend any books to help in the first year?

Thanks. :smile:

Honestly, I didn't take a lot of notes down. Because most universities have Blackboard, which is a portal where you can find the majority of the lecturer's resources from. The university had also paid for Panopto software where you can watch the whole lecture on your laptop at home. Your university will provide you with a list of books which will/may help you and this will vary between universities. Personally, I found books were of little to no use as all the information needed for my exams were in the lecturer's Powerpoints and past papers but I have only completed first year so this may change.

Original post by carlos10000
What is your opinion about fracking? Should we be worried about it? Will it really create tens of thousands of jobs ?

I haven't researched it enough to form an opinion. Don't worry about it. Worry if Nutella stop selling their product in the UK, then we have real problems.
do you feel that the quality of teaching of the lecturers at aston is good?
What's Aston like? I have it as my insurance for cheme but I'm not particularly fond of Birmingham city
Reply 9
Original post by ChemEnger
So I've just finished my first year at Aston University and remember the numerous questions I had when I was going into uni this time last year. So I'll try to help the best I can.
Fire away!

is it boring to the point where it destroys your soul?
Reply 10
Original post by mortalmaggot
do you feel that the quality of teaching of the lecturers at aston is good?

You get a good range, some really good, others on the other end of the spectrum. But speaking to my friends from other unis I think that goes for the majority of universities. Having said that, one of the modules where I got a really high mark, I actually had a poor lecturer so I think it is down to the individual also. All in all, I'd say the teaching is average. However, this is only for Chemical Engineering. I'd expect it to be better for Business related degrees as it is it's specialty.
Reply 11
Original post by Table dust
What's Aston like? I have it as my insurance for cheme but I'm not particularly fond of Birmingham city

Birmingham City is awesome! Aston has bullring at it's doorstep so you can find pretty much anything you need. You're also surrounded by numerous take aways and Tesco Metro's on every corner. For clubbing you gotta go to Broad St, not AMAZING clubs but certainly the place to have a good time. I'm not so big on the clubbing scene so I don't know a whole lot about it.
Reply 12
Original post by Mick.w
is it boring to the point where it destroys your soul?

Haha some modules are like that yes. Like Health and Safety. Dear Lord. Boring doesn't even begin to describe it. But then there are modules like Separation Processes so it makes it all okay. Enjoying the course so far.
Do you find the living costs in Aston hard to cope with? Do you think there are a lot of Asians there? What did you get in your first year? What are your plans for after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by ElChapo
Do you find the living costs in Aston hard to cope with? Do you think there are a lot of Asians there? What did you get in your first year? What are your plans for after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think living costs are okay not mega cheap but I wouldn't say expensive either. I was quite lucky in the sense I got the full grant and loan and managed just fine. By Asian I'm assuming South East Asians...? There are quite a lot, I'd say there are about 40% across the whole uni. Although if you're doing Optometry or Pharmacy you will be surrounded by them. I got a 2:1 in my first year. I was capable of getting a first but didn't work hard enough, my fault I know. After my degree I hope to be working in the Oil and Gas industry. I know this is competitive and all but hey, one can only hope. Also, I may change my mind as its 3/4 years away.
My first year was pretty packed, about 22 hours a week. Surprising that law didn't have a lot, but I wouldn't know.

Honestly, I didn't take a lot of notes down. Because most universities have Blackboard, which is a portal where you can find the majority of the lecturer's resources from. The university had also paid for Panopto software where you can watch the whole lecture on your laptop at home. Your university will provide you with a list of books which will/may help you and this will vary between universities. Personally, I found books were of little to no use as all the information needed for my exams were in the lecturer's Powerpoints and past papers but I have only completed first year so this may change.

I haven't researched it enough to form an opinion. Don't worry about it. Worry if Nutella stop selling their product in the UK, then we have real problems.

Cheers. Do you have any tips for picking up dimensionless numbers? Still getting my head round them (I start in September).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by addylad
Cheers. Do you have any tips for picking up dimensionless numbers? Still getting my head round them (I start in September).

Posted from TSR Mobile

In our first year we only had 10% of one module associated with dimensionless numbers. We had 12 modules in total so that 10% was barely anything. So...unfortunately, I left it last minute and copied a friend. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. A lot of people feel they need to do work before they go into uni but you'll have enough time to grasp everything. Enjoy your time off :wink:
Fire away!

Why do ChemEng students like to chill with Mpharm students? Know your place, like damn.
Reply 18
Original post by Chukkeigh
Why do ChemEng students like to chill with Mpharm students? Know your place, like damn.

Because you guys can get hold of the drugs and we can produce it on a big scale. Thought that was obvious.
Because you guys can get hold of the drugs and we can produce it on a big scale. Thought that was obvious.

Lol banging asnwer, bro. Real talk tho, watcha think of them anyways?

Quick Reply

Latest