The Student Room Group

TSR Movie Madness: Quarter Final: Inception v The Godfather

This poll is closed

Quarter Final 2

Inception 48%
The Godfather52%
Total votes: 62
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).

We've found the best film in each of the eight genres and the group winners and runner ups progressed to the last 16 where they fight for the overall win. We're now up to the final 8 films and the quarter finals have begun.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Inception (2010)
Christopher Nolan's big budget blockbuster showed the world (and especially Hollywood studios) that expensive films could credit their audiences with intelligence and still turn a handsome profit. Dealing in dreams with large portions of the film taking place in different characters' subconscious, Nolan takes a complicated story and expresses it in a way that makes it feel wonderfully intuitive.

The Godfather (1972)
One of the most famous movies of all-time, Francis Ford Coppola's epic gangster film tracks the Corleone film over the course of a decade. With so many parts immortalised by homages, tributes and parodies, the chances are that even if you haven't seen it there is much that will feel familiar to you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Motorbiker
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).

We've found the best film in each of the eight genres and the group winners and runner ups progressed to the last 16 where they fight for the overall win. We're now up to the final 8 films and the quarter finals have begun.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Inception (2010)
Christopher Nolan's big budget blockbuster showed the world (and especially Hollywood studios) that expensive films could credit their audiences with intelligence and still turn a handsome profit. Dealing in dreams with large portions of the film taking place in different characters' subconscious, Nolan takes a complicated story and expresses it in a way that makes it feel wonderfully intuitive.

The Godfather (1972)
One of the most famous movies of all-time, Francis Ford Coppola's epic gangster film tracks the Corleone film over the course of a decade. With so many parts immortalised by homages, tributes and parodies, the chances are that even if you haven't seen it there is much that will feel familiar to you.

Godfather, not seen it yet but from what I've heard about parts of the first one it is a great film. Plus I still know the most famous reference from it.
Easy call. Inception is a ridiculously overrated film while godfather is the second best film ever made (after it's sequel)
Reply 3
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Easy call. Inception is a ridiculously overrated film while godfather is the second best film ever made (after it's sequel)

No I thought they started great then progressively went downhill from there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
No I thought they started great then progressively went downhill from there

Posted from TSR Mobile

thought you said you hadn't seen the godfather yet? And the sequel is the biggest exception to that rule - good as the godfather is, the sequel is even better (then we had the fairly naff godfather iii)
Reply 5
thought you said you hadn't seen the godfather yet? And the sequel is the biggest exception to that rule - good as the godfather is, the sequel is even better (then we had the fairly naff godfather iii)

I was going off what the general consensus of the people I've asked say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha. Maybe just go and watch them.

The general consensus is that the Godfather pt II is one of the few sequels to ever surpass it's predecessor.

Watched Inception again the other day, partly as a result of its high profile on here.

It's still darned good, actually a little better than I remembered it. I have no idea where "ridiculously overrated" comes from.

Arguing over which is better, G1 or G2, brings to mind the old "two bald men arguing over a comb" phrase. Does it matter?
Original post by just a dad
Watched Inception again the other day, partly as a result of its high profile on here.

It's still darned good, actually a little better than I remembered it. I have no idea where "ridiculously overrated" comes from.

Arguing over which is better, G1 or G2, brings to mind the old "two bald men arguing over a comb" phrase. Does it matter?

I found inception to be very dull and generally hyped by smug people who claimed the plot to be complicated in order to feel smarter than other people because they could understand it.
I found inception to be very dull and generally hyped by smug people who claimed the plot to be complicated in order to feel smarter than other people because they could understand it.

In which case isn't your argument largely with "smug people" than with the film itself?

I thought it was intelligent and original, and well executed. But there you go.
I haven't seen the Godfather (though I'm going to get on that ASAP!) so it had to be Inception for me.

I do think Inception was overhyped, and people made it seem more complicated than it actually was, but it was still an enjoyable film.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I haven't seen the Godfather (though I'm going to get on that ASAP!) so it had to be Inception for me.

I do think Inception was overhyped, and people made it seem more complicated than it actually was, but it was still an enjoyable film.

Concepts such as entering the dream of someone who isn't actually real, but is actually the projection of someone else whose dream you are already in, could reasonably be argued to be on the complicated side.
I'm kinda disillusioned with the whole thing when I realise how many people vote for one film because they haven't seen the other.
Original post by e aí rapaz
I'm kinda disillusioned with the whole thing when I realise how many people vote for one film because they haven't seen the other.

We saw that in Round 1 when American Beauty got tonked.

I think we have to be realistic, there are many voters who haven't seen most of the original list, and a competition amongst cinephiles just wouldn't have had much of a profile on TSR.
It would have been educational though.

I'm not sure which of Godfather and Godfather II is better - they are both utterly magnificent.

One thing to avoid, if you haven't seen them, are any 'chronological' versions, which take the prequel sections of G2 and put them before G, then have the sequel sections of G2. The BBC has shown this at least once. Part of the greatness of G2 is the way it contrasts and cuts between the two parts of its story, and separating them out diminishes it.
Haha. Maybe just go and watch them.

The general consensus is that the Godfather pt II is one of the few sequels to ever surpass it's predecessor.

This is true. It's up there with Terminator 2 beating Terminator 1. Urm, people rate star Wars V better than IV. LOTR ROTK over the others. Can't think of many more thoguh.

We think this but godfather beat Nemo and under half the amount of people had seen godfather.
Inception is an amazing movie, and you shouldn't vote against it because you dislike the people who watch it. Godfather may be well made, but it is so incredibly long, and so incredibly boring, that I just cannot like it.
I prefer Godfather 2 but I believe this poll represents the sequels.

Fredo, how could you

I can't pick because Godfather isn't in my all time list and neither is Inception and I'm not sure which I prefer when I dont feel strongly about either. Both solid movies but not my cup of tea. I admire Inception for trying something smarter as a big summer blockbuster. Who would have the balls to do this.
Original post by just a dad
In which case isn't your argument largely with "smug people" than with the film itself?

I thought it was intelligent and original, and well executed. But there you go.

Not really, it's a tedious story with a plot that tries to be convoluted and interesting but failed - the "i'm better than thou" attitude of its biggest fans is just the icing on the cake.
The godfather hands down wins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending