The Student Room Group

TSR Movie Madness: Quarter Final: Forrest Gump V LOTR: ROTK

This poll is closed

Quarter Final 3

Forrest Gump 41%
The LOTR: Return of the King59%
Total votes: 71
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).

We've found the best film in each of the eight genres and the group winners and runner ups progressed to the last 16 where they fight for the overall win. We're now up to the final 8 films and the quarter finals have begun.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Forrest Gump (1994)
Providing a snapshot of the previous decades of American life, Rob Zemeckis' Forrest Gump (starring Tom Hanks) became an instant classic, commanding both Oscars and high levels of box office revenue. While people have tried to attribute it's message as propaganda for movements across the political spectrum, it remains a very funny and irreverent look back over recent American history.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
The closing installment of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic saga, this film gives the resolution to one of cinema's most celebrated trilogies. Featuring battles breathtaking in their scope, fantastical creatures brought to life and the end of Frodo's journey to Mordor, Peter Jackson's adaptation lives up to the legacy of the novels.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Forrest Gump. Has to be :colondollar:
One of my favourite films of all time :yep:

"Run, Forrest, run!"
Urgh, I've made my views on forest Gump clear before, and I found LotR tedious and Christopher lee is only in the extended edition. Erm, I go for LotR as the one I disliked least.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Urgh, I've made my views on forest Gump clear before, and I found LotR tedious and Christopher lee is only in the extended edition. Erm, I go for LotR as the one I disliked least.

Yeah, two enjoyable enough but really mediocre films, I don't know how either of them got so far. Makes it a difficult vote.
Man, I love Forrest Gump, but I found it really difficult forcing myself through any of the Lord of the Rings movies. I have watched all of the LotR movies, I just find them... not that interesting. So my vote went to Forrest Gump.
agrh this is tough :s-smilie: gonna go for forrest gump because of the bad LOTR ending...

EDIT: ended up changing my mind...gandalf is too epic :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I voted Forest Gump. I love the LOTR trilogy but I've seen them one too many times. :smile:
Where's 'reopen nominations' / 'none of the above'? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

This is what i was thinking tbh. Imagine if this was Fight club V LOTR and we'd have everyone cheering on fight club.

Original post by e aí rapaz
Yeah, two enjoyable enough but really mediocre films, I don't know how either of them got so far. Makes it a difficult vote.

Forrest Gump has loyal fans and LOTR has super geeky fanbase.

Original post by unprinted
Where's 'reopen nominations' / 'none of the above'? :smile:

I think they were just lucky with seedings tbh. I think whichever film wins this is up to get it's ass kicked by Inception or Godfather in the Semi final though. :wink:
I dunno, there are lots of people who see LotR as the second holy trilogy and a disgraceful shortage of people who've seen Godfather.
Don't understand the hate for LOTR personally, and there is certainly no film remaining in the top 8 I would choose over it.
Forrest Gump by a country mile

I can't understand the LOTR love. They are perfectly fine movies (7/10 in my view) but they ARE overly long (is it a hiking movie because people just keep walking and walking), lack plot, have the most wooden characters ever, poor script. They have excellent makeup, costumes, sets and battle scenes but that is not enough to make a great movie. It's like having wonderful garnish but everything else on the plate is kinda tasteless like cardboard.

Forrest Gump is emotionally engaging. Hank is out of this world. It has that true cinematic magic about it. This is why you watch movies. LOTR doesn't have that - you feel like you've just watched another fantasy action movie.
Well Forest. You had a good run.

:teehee:
Original post by silent ninja

I can't understand the LOTR love. They are perfectly fine movies (7/10 in my view) but they ARE overly long (is it a hiking movie because people just keep walking and walking), lack plot, have the most wooden characters ever, poor script. They have excellent makeup, costumes, sets and battle scenes but that is not enough to make a great movie. It's like having wonderful garnish but everything else on the plate is kinda tasteless like cardboard.

Forrest Gump is emotionally engaging. Hank is out of this world. It has that true cinematic magic about it. This is why you watch movies. LOTR doesn't have that - you feel like you've just watched another fantasy action movie.

Really? Can you honestly name another fantasy action movie which can hold a candle to LOTR?
Original post by silent ninja

Personally I think FG is like a cup of cold sick, and by far the worst film left in the competition. But I also accept that such things are subjective, and that neither of us can claim to be 'right'.
Original post by unprinted
I dunno, there are lots of people who see LotR as the second holy trilogy and a disgraceful shortage of people who've seen Godfather.

But the the big G is still in the competition, and has no devine right to make the final.
Original post by DJMayes
Don't understand the hate for LOTR personally, and there is certainly no film remaining in the top 8 I would choose over it.

It's funny how some films and directors generate a small but vocal backlash. LOTR is a good example, as is Chris Nolan.
Original post by Motorbiker

I think they were just lucky with seedings tbh. I think whichever film wins this is up to get it's ass kicked by Inception or Godfather in the Semi final though. :wink:

Forrest Gump was undoubtedly fortunate in landing the weakest group.
LOTR's group was much tougher.
Original post by DJMayes
Really? Can you honestly name another fantasy action movie which can hold a candle to LOTR?

That doesn't make it a good film.
Empire Strikes Back? Wizard of Oz?
In terms of action movies which is a major element of LOTR I can think of MANY movies better than it. The final battle in 13 Assassins was more gripping to me than the scenes in LOTR. It's probably because there is no emotional engagement due to poor characters, wooden acting and a basic plot stretched 10 hours. For the pure visceral experience, films like Apocalypto or Raid 2 blow it away

LOTR is kinda boring to watch. It's a chore in parts because it's baggy as hell. For God's sakes how many endings does this trilogy have? Talk about dragging it out. Jack Nicholson walked out lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Hah Forrest Gump should have lost to Fight Club. This right here is a no brainer. LOTR gets mah vote.

Quick Reply

Latest