The Student Room Group

Leadership Society

Hey guys,

I have started a leadership society at my Uni last year, since the next academic year starts in a couple of months and wanted to know from you;

- What would u want to get out of from a leadership society?
- What do you expect from the society?
- What sort of events would u like to participate in?
- Would u like a society where u feel like your in control of certain things ie events, activities etc?

Sorry if the questions are quite familiar, I also wanted to know what would be the best way to attract students on the first meet up of the society? As well as having an introduction to the society of course, should it just be a chilled environment with low music where everyone gets to know everyone as well as what the plans are with the society?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
what is a leadership society?

Is it to teach people how to be leaders?

If so, I really hope your a good leader.. as otherwise it could get embarrassing..
I would expect to take charge.
Reply 4
Original post by fallen_acorns
what is a leadership society?

Is it to teach people how to be leaders?

If so, I really hope your a good leader.. as otherwise it could get embarrassing..

It's a society to equip students with the skills needed to become leaders, like time management skills, team work, problem solving etc...and the point is for students to build confidence by meeting new people and coming up with ideas that they manage themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NuriaM
It's a society to equip students with the skills needed to become leaders, like time management skills, team work, problem solving etc...and the point is for students to build confidence by meeting new people and coming up with ideas that they manage themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

kind of what I figured..

On the surface it seems promising.. just depends how its run, and most specifically who by..

I mean, your going to get a mix of individuals who view themselves as strong leaders joining, and some who really dont, but want to learn..

I saw it enough in other societies though, the downfall of many can be having to many leaders.. to many people striving to lead/take charge, can ruin a society as it becomes all about in-fighting/arguing etc - you see it a lot in political societies, where they all view thesmelves as future leaders..

Which is why I said you would need to be a good leader.. because without one at the helm, this society could end up being a nightmare..
Reply 6
Original post by fallen_acorns
kind of what I figured..

On the surface it seems promising.. just depends how its run, and most specifically who by..

I mean, your going to get a mix of individuals who view themselves as strong leaders joining, and some who really dont, but want to learn..

I saw it enough in other societies though, the downfall of many can be having to many leaders.. to many people striving to lead/take charge, can ruin a society as it becomes all about in-fighting/arguing etc - you see it a lot in political societies, where they all view thesmelves as future leaders..

Which is why I said you would need to be a good leader.. because without one at the helm, this society could end up being a nightmare..

I'n running the society but we have 'higher' support in a way, such as leadership speakers from the university, who will be overseeing things with the society. I usually take on the role of leader in projects, and enjoying leading and helping people to become more confident in leading (as I've done before starting the society) that's how I came up with the idea.
I wanted to start off by seeing at what level each person believes there at in terms of leadership, introduce the society and also the activities that they will participate in which are kind of already planned.
I'm aware of students wanting to lead and stuff, that's y one of the activities that will be conducted throughout the year, will be students coming up with their own ideas like making videos for the society, selling etc. and they will have to lead everyone else, make sure everyone has a role, and plan how everything will run. This gives everyone the opportunity to become a leader and get the right skills. There's also other fun activities and visits to companies that are willing to provide us with some leadership training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NuriaM
I'n running the society but we have 'higher' support in a way, such as leadership speakers from the university, who will be overseeing things with the society. I usually take on the role of leader in projects, and enjoying leading and helping people to become more confident in leading (as I've done before starting the society) that's how I came up with the idea.
I wanted to start off by seeing at what level each person believes there at in terms of leadership, introduce the society and also the activities that they will participate in which are kind of already planned.
I'm aware of students wanting to lead and stuff, that's y one of the activities that will be conducted throughout the year, will be students coming up with their own ideas like making videos for the society, selling etc. and they will have to lead everyone else, make sure everyone has a role, and plan how everything will run. This gives everyone the opportunity to become a leader and get the right skills. There's also other fun activities and visits to companies that are willing to provide us with some leadership training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

having influences higher then students seems like a very good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest